I returned my iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eddiestein, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Eddiestein macrumors member

... and I'm getting another one (with 1.1.1).

I bought my iPhone here, and it happened to be a 1.1.2 OOTB, so no unlock. No AT&T store in town had a 1.1.1 phone, and the Apple Store definitely didn't.

But guess what... I've got to go to a neighboring town on Thursday. I called around to AT&T stores there and found a week 44. They put that on hold for me and I'm picking it up.

(Well, I didn't return it, I sold it on eBay.)

Eddie

2. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Not that I want to spoil your fun but here in the UK all the phones are 1.1.2 and they seem to be starting at week 42... so week 44 could well be a 1.1.2 phone!

3. Eddiestein thread starter macrumors member

This is a US phone. I've heard a few reports of week 43s having 1.1.2 but they seem to be UK phones.

(NSAT&T won't get a penny from me)

4. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

is my best bet for getting a 1.1.1 phone to go to an at&t store?

5. Eddiestein thread starter macrumors member

Probably. Call around and ask them to check the 4th and 5th digits of the serial number. Don't tell them about unlocking. I told one that I wanted to unlock it and she said, "well, we can't sell you a phone, you can try the Apple Store for that."

Make up some story. If they ask about unlocking/hacking say "what's that?" Also they'll want to run a credit check, but they won't ask you to sign a contract there.

(Oh, forgot to add: if the digits are 45 and over, it's a 1.1.2 OOTB. If it's 44 and under, it should be 1.1.1 OOTB or less.)

Eddie

6. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

7. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

but the bios is different on the new phones and even if you downgraded you cant unlock it.. i dont care about using it on different networks, but I would like to be able to add software to it.

8. Eddiestein thread starter macrumors member

You can jailbreak a 1.1.2 OOTB iPhone and install third-party apps, it's just the unlocking that you can't do.

Eddie

9. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

now see, i was under the impression that the new iphones couldnt be software or sim unlocked

me being a noob i read this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=388281 and it said no to unlocking a 1.1.2

seeing how I dont care anything about sim unlocking one all I care to do is jailbreak one

10. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Ill LOL when you get a 112 iphone

11. Eddiestein thread starter macrumors member

Are you saying that week 44 iPhones are 1.1.2 OOTB?

Eddie

12. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

If you want to make up a story for them tell them you've seen the "negative black" screen issue and that you insist they must be week 44 or less. And, you might get them to check the firmware version if you ask them to tell you the screen panel ID (not so sure about this) because to see the panel ID there is like a menu where the firmware is visible if im correct; once there ask them for the firmware version (as if it was relative to the issue) . It was sheer luck I could get my hands on one days before it was 1.1.x OOTB. Hope this was helpful.

-Victor

13. Eddiestein thread starter macrumors member

I used another story. I'll post it after I get the iPhone (don't want any AT&T reps to see it and not sell me the phone) :)

Eddie

Also, I don't think they'll give you the panel ID. They'd have to unwrap the iPhone to do so and you haven't even paid for it yet.

Eddie

14. cooncheese70 macrumors newbie

Which AT&T store did you goto?

Do they have more 1.1.1 phones?

I've been looking everywhere for one and all the Apple Stores that I goto only have week 47 iPhones...

15. Eddiestein thread starter macrumors member

It was the AT&T Store on Baseline Rd. in Laveen, AZ (a suburb of Phoenix).

I'm not sure if they've got any more - call and ask.

My story was that my friend got a 1.1.2 phone and it was buggy and crashed a lot, so I don't want one. (The guy at the store knew I wanted to unlock it.)

(Oh, and yes, Mindflux, I'm laughing at you - it's a 1.1.1 phone!)

Eddie

16. lordgaino macrumors member

Thats it, look everywhere you can for an iphone with an older version of the operating system.... and when you find one you can hug it close like a child with a bag of his favourite potato chips.......

..... and then in four weeks time there will be a new version of the operating system out and it will disable all the current hacks in exchange for voice recording, and disk drive abilities and no doubt mms or something similar, and then what will you do.....!!!

17. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

LOLOL

that is a great point.. what happens when the new firmware comes out... will it mess up the current phones? will it add much of the same features making it more appealing to have a virgin phone? If they are smart, like sony eventually did with the PSP, they ended up putting the majority of the customizing featues in the psp making it less appealing to downgrade them.

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It will NOT disable anything if you FOLLOW THE WARNING and not update.

19. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

It's simple you wait until you get clearance from DEV team to upgrade.

And let's be honest. There hasnt been a really worthwhile update yet:rolleyes:

20. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

IMHO There also hasn't been a compelling reason to hack either.
    Tried it on a refurb I bought and the programs were buggy
    and made the phone unstable.
    I can live without no wallpaper on the springboard.

21. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

I would agree for the most part.

But I like the AIM apps and using the carrier of my choice domestically and abroad.