iPad I returned The New iPad to Best buy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gabo864, Nov 1, 2012.

1. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Hey everyone

SOO I bought the new ipad on Oct 20th just to find out a newer one was coming out. I opened it and used it for a while and today I decided I wanted to return it. As I was packaging the iPad I noticed two really small scratches on the screen (very small ones) I was so upset because I read on forums that if the ipad had any scratches they would deny any returns. I decided I wanted to take the risk and still go to Best Buy and see if I could return it. I went to Best buy and the guy just looked at it over the wrapping paper and then turned it on and then put it back in the box. She asked for a photo ID and told me I would receive my refund in the next couple of days and gave me a receipt.

My Question is, Do you think there is still a chance they would deny me a refund if they find the scratches later? how long do they usually take to refund money to a debit account? thank you

2. applefan022 macrumors 6502

3. Man on the moon macrumors member

You need to relax as the transaction is already done. You should get a refund in 3-4 business days.

They won't call you out of the blue, say they found a scratch and just void transaction and give you the iPad back. :)

4. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i returned one there once and they didn't even open the box. If they processed the return you should be good.

5. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

It is too late to take your credit back as they have processed it. Depending on Best Buy and your bank, it can take as long as two weeks but you likely will have you money back in your account early next week.

6. rkahl macrumors 65816

You will get your money back. After they accept an item back into inventory, how do you know who really did it?

7. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

They say "there are scratches"

You say "Really It was perfect when I bought it in, the clerk even looked it over"

Not ethical but, yeah.

8. Exino macrumors member

You're completely fine. It's up to the person accepting the return to deal with it, and since they didn't make any issue out of it, you have nothing to worry about. They're not going to call you.

You can completely chill. You're in the clear.

9. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Don't worry dude. If it was anyone's fault it would be blamed on the BB employee that checked the iPad. Most likely that iPad is just thrown in the back room getting ready to be shipped back to Apple, that's all. It would look bad on BB's part, if they did call you back, for something you were approved for. If they do, you can deny and say that must have happened afterwards. BB doesn't want to deal with that.

10. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

11. LanEvo macrumors 6502

They sell it as open box with 10% off MSRP.

12. urkel macrumors 68030

I agree. Best Buy resells open-box items at a 10% discount so they dont care that much about the condition (it used to be 15% or more until recently).

Personally, I buy open box all the time because I usually find pretty good bargains and I dont intend on keeping stuff long so this helps the hit in the resale market.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

So how did you manage to scratch the "old new" iPad anyway in just a couple of days? I've had my iPad 1 long enough for the applecare to wear off and the screen (no protector) still doesn't have any scratches on it.

14. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

To be honest i was wondering the same thing. My little brother did play with it a lot so i wonder if it was him. He had played with my iPad 2 before and i hAd it for 1 year and i sold it with no scratches on it: So i dont understand how it got scratches on it so quickly

15. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Once he processed the return your worries were over.

16. RenoG macrumors 65816

You sound brand new....

You have nothing to worry about op, you're good to go...;)

17. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Yep, I've never had to return anything before and i was very upset that i got the 3th gen ipad and then a newer one came out! So the fact that i found scratches on the iPad freaked me out! Im glad i was able to return it with no problem. :) thank yall for ur help