I saw a new window when I plugged in my iPhone today ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Jul 18, 2010.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

Today, when I plugged my iPhone 4 in on my iMac, I saw a new window, indicating an "iPhone USB" network. When I clicked on the Network Preferences button, however, it indicated that the new network was for Bluetooth Tethering, which left me scratching my head. One is physical, the other is wireless. Has anyone else seen these two windows, and if so, can any of you tell me what this is all about?

Attached Files:

2. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

3. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

While it is obviously related to tethering, I think it portents a new feature - wireless hotspot...:D

4. frosse macrumors 6502a

It's obviously got to do with tethering. It would be cool if it's wireless hotspot though, imagine an iPad (wifi model) connected to an iPhone hot spot, NICE!

5. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Exactly why jailbreaking exists. Why wait for Apple to do it?

6. celticpride678

7. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

Thanks for all the replies, but I don't have tethering installed. I simply refuse to pay AT&T an extra $20/month for the privilege of tethering. I actually use a program called iProxy to achieve somewhat the same result. It works like the old Net Share app, from what I understand. What I meant by my original question is that, while I've had iProxy installed on my iPhone 4 since last week, I've never seen those two particular windows until this morning. I should add that I sync my iPhone every morning, as I have a daily podcast playlist to my ride into work and back home.

My other question remains - namely, why is the Network window asking about Bluetooth tethering, on a USB connection?

8. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Yes, the window is new to 4.0.1 and 4.1 beta and while it may be for tethering, you don't have to have tethering enabled to see the window pop up.

I believe this is an indication that wireless hotspot is coming to the iPhone but that is pure speculation on my part. However, it fits with the way networking via BT works for example so why not a hotspot?

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It may be new if the windows pops up without having tethering enable, but I've seen this windows when I had it enable (back when the AT&T file was replace to enable tethering). Nothing really new here.