I saw a Studebaker. No, a NEW one.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Going to work yesterday, I'm following this stylish little silver crossover-type car, and I noticed the name on the back of it in bold, widely-spaced letters: S T U D E B A K E R. And I was, like, really?

Looked 'em up on Wiki, and they don't seem to mention any new production. The company has a web page that talks about concept cars and sounds like somebody's trying to stage a comeback, but even that site doesn't seem to be up to date.

Unfortunately, I was following the car all the way to work and then had to turn while the Studebaker went on. But from the little I could tell from the back, it was the size and shape of a PT Cruiser, only more angular. And yeah, it had the little Studebaker badge on the back.

[​IMG]

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

[​IMG]

i only know about that thing here that was planned from Avanti Motors and Ford or GM not sure , but that is more in the leage of the Hummer

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is definitely the work of the Illuminati.

4. MacHamster68, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

but i know there is a company somwhere in the USA that transform the Studebaker Express pickup from 1939 in a people carrier and that looks from the back like a edgy PT cruiser from the back

cant find anything about it but i've seen one in Germany at some custom motor show about 4 years ago
    and its based on that studebaker express pickup , obviously from the B-pillar back its like a pt cruiser with edges but not as sharp as at the thing in my previous post , more rounded corners
    [​IMG]

there are quiet a few companies today around who take the old shapes of the 30's-50's and fit modern technology underneath

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

^ Take away the pickup part in the back, remove the downward slope in the rear fenders, and yeah, I can totally see that being the front end of the car I saw.

Thanks. I thought possibly I was seeing a hush-hush concept car. It's not impossible -- I'm in northern Ohio, and the company's in South Bend, Indiana. But your explanation is a lot more likely.

I gotta tell you, that car had a nice, unique look to it. If they went into general production, I'll bet they could sell quite a few of them.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Are you sure it wasn't just a Pepsi delivery truck.....on its side.....from three years ago?;)

[​IMG]

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

here they are; S T U D E B A K E R

and one of their concept cars;

[​IMG]

8. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

The designs on that page don't look very appealing. Like a Citroen with learning difficulties :(

9. MacHamster68, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

MacHamster68

:D i was thinking the same thing ..looks more like a Citroen mated with a BMW if i look at the boot shape

but thats the problem if American companies try to adapt European style on their cars ,
    the other way round it becomes a design mess too
    i remember the Ford Scorpio
    [​IMG]
    looks not to bad at all from the back with american design elements
    but round forms had been a trend in europe at the time so they mated that not even bad looking "american" style back with a european front
    [​IMG]

not many customers had fallen for that design mix ... so many in fact that the scorpio line was discontinued

10. MacHamster68, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

MacHamster68

but back to Studebaker and its concept cars
    ....that one here called Lark
    [​IMG]

the front really seems to be inspired by a old Citroen
    and sadly the most odd looking Citroen the AMI 8..not even citroen had the guts to make a retro version of it
    [​IMG]

ok retro is in , but please when retro then stick to the own brand design elements of the past and not use design elements from other manufacturers

i would not mind the comback of a car like the Studebaker Commander of 53

[​IMG]

and someone has styled one to make it look modern

[​IMG]