I saw my first hackintosh in the wild today...

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
So I saw my first hackintosh in the wild today....of all places at work. (I work in IT so its RARE to see that kind of thing).

I have to say, it actually ran very very well. I did as much as I could to test it without plugging it in to the network. Too bad it was getting re-imaged because I'd of loved to keep it on my desk :D

Anyone else find a hackintosh at work?

EDIT: Oh and it was on a little dell workstation. I forget the model.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
One of my many ThinkPads is Hackintoshed with 10.4. Runs like a dream.

Comment

Eli727

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
Atlanta
I've got a Dell Hackintosh at my work- the guy who uses it likes it more than the other Macs we've had. Our IT guy built it for us. Was a hell of a lot cheaper than the iMac another one of my employees uses.

Comment

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
So I saw my first hackintosh in the wild today....of all places at work. (I work in IT so its RARE to see that kind of thing).

I have to say, it actually ran very very well. I did as much as I could to test it without plugging it in to the network. Too bad it was getting re-imaged because I'd of loved to keep it on my desk :D

Where have you gone chrono?:p

Dell's are perfect for making a Hackintosh.
Why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008

I built a Hackintosh for work.

Some of our developers decided to port all of their work over to using Macs, as well as our sales teams going to iPhones and iPads, so to help provision them out, instead of spending the $3000 on a Mac Pro, we built a Hackintosh Mini for roughly $300.

The exact model we used is Tonymacx86's CustoMac Mini build. See tonymacx86.com for info on that; it's really easy to set up, and worked out of the box.

So now my job has a mac provisioning box as well as a lab box for the IT team I work with so they can figure out how things run.

BL.

Comment

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

I USED to have a hackintosh on my HP mini. Was the most unstable and the slowest hackintosh ever. So glad I stopped being cheap and spent the money on a real MacBook :)

Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have a Dell laptop at work. They're definitely doing something more modern with the E-series laptops... looks like a customized graphical EFI boot options thing has completely replaced the legacy BIOS-based interface. This should make the process of converting one into a Hackintosh easier.

Comment

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I USED to have a hackintosh on my HP mini. Was the most unstable and the slowest hackintosh ever. So glad I stopped being cheap and spent the money on a real MacBook :)
Interesting, I ran 10.5.8 and 10.6.3 on an N270 for over a year. It was slow due to only having 1GB of RAM but it was completely stable.

Which means there is a secret EFI dongle in the dell machines:eek::D
"perfect" is referring to the compatibility of the components. You don't need an EFI dongle for osx86...

Awesome,I'm building my own computer with two hard drives so I might try it:p
Do it! :p Just make sure your mobo is well supported (otherwise you may be without ethernet, sleep, sound etc) and your graphics card is supported. I'd suggest picking a mobo and gpu from this list of Lion supported components.

Comment

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
I ran a hackintosh for about a year before buying my first mac. It ran quite well, but I couldn't update for Snow Leopard.

Comment

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Where have you gone chrono?:p
I'm still here :p And now I want a hackintosh on my desk!

I'm too new though to be doing non-law abiding things at work ;)

Apparently there is some whole office that uses Macs (not sure where they're at, if they're even in our building, or what they use them for) but I was informed that I'll be supporting them and any programs used on them which is a plus. More OSX support practice :)

Comment

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Interesting, I ran 10.5.8 and 10.6.3 on an N270 for over a year. It was slow due to only having 1GB of RAM but it was completely stable.

"perfect" is referring to the compatibility of the components. You don't need an EFI dongle for osx86...

Do it! :p Just make sure your mobo is well supported (otherwise you may be without ethernet, sleep, sound etc) and your graphics card is supported. I'd suggest picking a mobo and gpu from this list of Lion supported components.
I would constantly get kernel panics and always had to reboot. Eventually I ended up having to delete the mac partition and now I run windows only on that netbook.

Comment

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
as long as you follow hardware guides you should be fine... I love mine :D

Comment

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand

Hey! Thanks for the tips,I didn't think that some motherboards were not supported:eek: But I am building an ivybridge gaming rig will it work??

Comment

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
For a private person to get a Hackintosh, I get that, but for a company? The company must be doing really bad if the difference in price is even close to being an issue, and I just can't see why anyone would pirate (or whatever you would call breaking the EULA) an OS for professional use.

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I built one myself, its not all that difficult and in fact by building your own computer you pick exactly what parts you want in there.

I obsessed over the power supply, case, cpu cooler. Every last detail. I'm very happy with the results. Definitely a fun project

Comment