I saw the 8 and 8 Plus at The Apple Store in Sydney, Australia. It looks cheap.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Oct 1, 2017.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm visiting Sydney, Australia and stopped by at The Apple Store on George Street and saw the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus for the first time. I don't like it. The glass make this iPhone look really cheap and not expensive. The glass makes the rose gold look pink, the silver more like a matted light gray, and the black more or less a muted black-gray. The iPhone 8 reminds me of the 5C and the glass is nothing like what was on the 4 and 4S.

This makes me curious to see what the iPhone X is going to look like. Personally, the iPhone X may do well over the 8, because the 8 looks so cheap. Apple made a mistake in the naming of the iPhone 8, it's a 7S and 7S Plus. Sorry Apple.

2. CasuallyDressed macrumors 6502

CasuallyDressed

I’m sure they’ll get over your scalding critique.

3. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Can't say about others but to me the glass back with stainless steel band around the edges on iPhone X looks fantastic. [​IMG]
    IMG_0087.JPG IMG_0088.JPG

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I like the glass back with the iPhone 8. I feel it gives it more of a throwback look to the iPhone 4. As much as I like the 7000 series aluminum, the glass at least gives a better grip With dropping it.

5. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68030

Alexander.Of.Oz

Umm, the back of the space grey version looks identical to the 8 models, apart from the stainless steel bands around the sides which will be a fingerprint magnet as that's what you grip and the lens units, which actually makes the lenses more conspicuous. Are you saying that the space grey X looks cheap too? o_O
    Untitled.jpeg

6. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

Cheap? Personally I think that the glass makes the 8/8+ look and feel premium. Wouldn’t want to go back to bog standard aluminium.

I have a space grey 8 and love the colour, so glad it’s not 100% black. It looks sleek and sexy. Checked out the gold and silver colours yesterday in an Apple store, and the gold is quite nice but the silver basically looks white.

7. Mick_ag macrumors newbie

Cheap I don’t know but I was expecting a better looking glass back space gray. How many different colors does this thing have? Back has a shade of gray. Border of back glass, a different shade of gray. Aluminum, another different shade. Antenna bands, guess what, different shade. All of them, different than the front. o_O

8. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

If Apple sells a cheap looking iPhone, I would not have bought it. I can’t understand anyone saying the iPhone 8 or 8+ looks cheap. This is the first post I’ve ever read saying that it looks cheap. Goodness sake’s what next?

9. Dexterama macrumors regular

The back on the 8 is not called black but space gray, Apple isn’t being deceiving unless they are calling it black in Sydney. And the new gold is not called rose gold. All three colors take on different shades depending on your lighting environment—which explains why we perceived these colors differently. I’m not sure why some folks are fixated on colors staying 100% true to what Apple is calling it. It’s like complaining a gray car looks black at night...the nerve of these companies...

10. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

IMO the Gold and Silver 8 are the most “premium” looking iPhones since 5S/4S. The 7 Jet Black looks better than 8 Space Grey though.

11. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

12. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

The silver version looks white in the back 90% of the time, unless it’s in a dark area. Cheap? Lol, I think OP is just trying to get attention here.

13. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

No, not the color itself. The colors are fine. However, the 8's glass seems nothing like the 4's. I wasn't impressed by the 8.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2017 ---
    I never did say they would. I really don't care whether Apple appreciates my opinion or not. It's a cheap looking phone and why they called that an 8 is beyond me. It's a 7S and 7Plus. Now, I get why good majority of people don't care about wireless charging. It looks cheap.
    The silver is the best overall. I would get that color on the X based on what I saw. I'm not seeking attention. You have the option to delete your post as if you didn't reply to give me attention - unaffected by lack of attention.
    Whatever the actual colors may be. I'm not up on the exact naming of these colors, but you know exactly what colors I am referring to. The rose gold or whatever it's called looks more pink with the glass is all I'm saying.
    It looks cheap. Sorry, but it just does.

14. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I think it looks and feels a million times nicer than the 6, 6S and 7. It’d be nice to use without a case.
    Having said that (unpopular opinion approaching I think) the looks and feel of the jet black 7 tops the 8 so in terms of aesthetics and how nice they are to hold the jet black iPhone 7 is the nicest of all the options currently.

15. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

16. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

but my $3 plastic case make it look expensive

17. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Best design since the 4/4S.

It actually looks and feels like something Steve would approve of.

18. Mick_ag macrumors newbie

That space grey glass back just doesn’t work. Should have been black like 4/4S, even more needed in the 8 with curved glass to avoid that shades of grey party. Looks like a Samsung.

19. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

Couldn't agree more. Same effect as cheap $3 clear plastic cover.

20. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

I do not agree with this at all. I think the new 8 and 8 plus look fantastic!

21. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

It really doesn’t look cheap, though. :rolleyes: You’re not going to like the X, that’s also got a glass back. I look forward to your ‘the X looks cheap!’ thread.

22. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Today I upgraded from the 7 plus to the 8 plus. I put the same case I had on the 7 plus onto my 8 plus and I CANNOT tell the difference. The case is and exact fit. With a case on it you CANNOT tell the difference. All this talk of how the 8 looks better than the 7 etc., is a bunch of BS. I am holding the 7 and 8 right now. Visually no difference. Glass back means nothing with a case on it.

BTW, the 8 is a better phone.

23. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Maybe the black didn't look black because Apple is NOT selling a black iPhone 8.

24. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

the last thing glass backs look like is cheap

If anything glass back makes phones look premium

25. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I also like it being a little heavier with the glass back. I feel like I am actually holding something. I think there is a limit to how thin and light a phone should be and still call it a phone.