I saw the LG Flex today...

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by The Doctor11, Mar 29, 2014.

1. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I saw the LG Flex today at the AT&T store. I still don't get the curved display at all. I don't see why I would want it and definitely don't like the 6 inch display. Way to big for a phone. What do you think of the curved display?

2. penplotter macrumors regular

Will it bend? That's the question

:p

3. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I didn't want to bend it to much because it was the display phone and didn't want to break it but it seemed pretty tough.

4. penplotter macrumors regular

When mobile companies run out of innovations, they start on their list of gimmicks. Samsung seem to be the exception to that - they blend the two, interchangeably.

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I saw one for the first time this past week. The owner had their phone lying on a table, so the curvature was very apparent.

As The Doctor11 noted, the phone looked huge. Focusing specifically on the curvature, though, I thought it made the phone look sloppy and cheap. I have seen photos of the device and always thought that it looked interesting, if not a bit impractical. I suppose the photos made it appear better than in reality.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yep...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QMziBORUGy8

7. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I think this concept will work better for tablets

8. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't. The curve is just stupid. I can not understand why I would ever want a screen curved unless it was a tv but then that becomes extremely stupid as soon as your not directly In front of the tv soooo... I never want a curved screen.

9. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

For a device of this size, a curved screen is pointless. A fully bendable device is more practical.

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i wouldn't like a curved screen but maybe a curved back shell might be comfortable to hold.

11. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

When does bending my phone become practical:confused:

12. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Actually, this is not the case. Curved screens allow for additional angles of view with accurate color and pixel representation and less fade across a wider field of view. I also believe the curved TV screen is a necessity for 3D TV (aka 'lifelike') WITHOUT the need for goggles.

Is it good for a phone. Not in my view. I think it is ridiculous. Now a foldable or completely shapeable phone would be cool. Think of a 4" form factor that can fold out to double or quadruple its original size.

13. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

The only cool thing about this phone is that it kinda resembles my old flame:

[​IMG]

14. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

When you can bend it 180 degrees and completely fold it. Then it could be smaller when you fit it in your pocket, maybe 4", but then when you unfold it the screen would be larger.

15. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I'm not turning my smart phone in to a flip phone!!!

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

17. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

Maybe you aren't understanding. Think about the potential in 10+ years where you can turn your smartphone into a tablet. That is what we have to look forward to with bendable screens.

18. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I guess. But I'm pretty happy with them being diffrent devices.

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Curve or not, it's ridiculously large. If you want to see something funny, launch the SMS app on the LG Flex. It's like looking at a 640x480 VGA image blown up to a 50" LCD TV. The text and button boxes enlarge to comic proportions.