I Screwed up cydia big time (I think?!?)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iPh0ne 0s4, Jan 3, 2011.

1. iPh0ne 0s4, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

iPh0ne 0s4 macrumors newbie

First of all, this is my first time posting on this site :D, View other posts, never did it myself. Second I'm an idiot, read on to understand why!:mad:

OK, now my problem, hopefully someone technically savvy can help me.
    1- Yesterday I had a problem where every package I installed, or source I added would give me an error, and clear both my "manage - sources, &Packages"
    --EDIT-- solved #1 (was a ihackstore source problem ;p Other problems still persist)

2- Trying to fix this, I played around in SSH, and iFile, but to no avail, so being quickly stupid (and also being like 2:AM) I deleted the files within /var/lib/
    ... yes all of it.

3- Now I had a major problem, even worse than before. So again, I started playing around, and manually trying to "reinstall" the files I deleted from a deb file of cydia and its essentials I found online. With some success I have cydia running again, with the "manage - sources" working, but not the "packages."

4- When I load the Cydia tab in cydia, I get the red box, which I believe is a pretty old bug, from when icy was still installable via jailbreak software. In the box it states "Your copy of Cydia does not know what version it is, itself running" Again this is an old problem, apparently because of a corrupted status file in the directory /var/lib/dpkg/.

- I seem to have hit a wall, where I cannot do much more on my own.
    Please if anyone knows how I can fix the corrupted file status, or even easier, just uninstall and reinstall cydia manually, (and correctly). Please give a step-by-step instruction.

:apple:=Any Questions please feel free to ask=:apple:

***I DO NOT WANT TO RESTORE WITH ITUNES, IT IS MY LAST CHOICE IF I MUST***

-------info----------
    iPhone4
    iOS 4.1(8B117)
    jailbroken with limera1n
    has SSH capability
    has iFile (if needed)
    obviously MC model
    NOT unlocked (at&t)

2. iPh0ne 0s4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Still waiting for a reply, please... I need Cydia working again.

Also, I'd google it but I'm in class. Could OS4.2 be jailbroken, if Yes what is the best software to go with, I usually use blackra1n.

3. lapocompris macrumors regular

Delete Cydia
    Jailbreak your phone again (either with limera1n or greenpois0n)
    Upon restart Install Cydia

4. iPh0ne 0s4 thread starter macrumors newbie

[Delete Cydia
    Jailbreak your phone again (either with limera1n or greenpois0n)
    Upon restart Install Cydia]

Ok, but how do i delete cydia entirely, so I can rejailbreak, if thats even possible. I don't think jailbreaking again will help me get cydia restored.

Please give me a little more detail. Thnx

5. lapocompris macrumors regular

When you perform a jailbreak, upon restart there is a cydia installer.

Otherwise, since you have SHSH, why not restore to factory 4.1 then jailbreak from there?

6. blandrazor macrumors newbie

Help

Hi this has happened to me before and im sorry u have to restore but its not that bad.
    Just plug into ur PC open itunes this will make a backup which wont have cydia installed on it after that restore. Once that completes then "rejailbreak" then re install cydia and :D:D:D:D:D :):):):):):):) all done should only take 2hr max
    Hope i helped