I screwed up my Mac, and now I need help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spencer Reynen, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Spencer Reynen, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

Spencer Reynen macrumors member

I was trying to "customize" my Mac but I actually screwed it up. I installed some software to make my Mac look cooler I guess. Here's what I installed... iStatMenus, CandyBar, Aqua Extreme Obsidian Theme by MaxThemes, and newdock2011 by Maxthemes. I have tried uninstalling all of these (as certain ones come with unistallers, but I can't find any of them ( including the theme programs), I even tried restoring my computer to an hour ago using time machine. Obviously it doesn't restore settings as I have just discovered. Could someone please help me get rid of it as my computer looks so bad right now. So all the themes go away... THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance.

UPDATE: I have solved the issue. Can this be moved to the wasteland?

2. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

cmd+space>type in each program/add on (one at a time)>delete the associated files>restart

Alternative install "appcleaner". Drag the program from applications folder and appcleaner will find all associated files and allow you to delete them.

3. Spencer Reynen thread starter macrumors member

The problem is I cannot find any applications or their files. I just deleted some files from CandyBar in my library, but that didn't help or change my dock. I feel so bad!

4. aCondor macrumors 6502

If your Mac is relatively new, I would suggest doing a clean re-install of the OSX.

5. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

6. Spencer Reynen thread starter macrumors member

I have a TON of stuff on it. Is there ANY other way to remove some simple themes?

7. zaxdude macrumors regular

Do you still have the install files (the .dmg file)??

If try to "re-install" the files, many times it gives the option to remove. I know the "Obsidian Menu Bar" theme by MaxTheme does this.

8. Spencer Reynen thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but It just installs the uninstaller program then closes. It doesn't open a program to uninstall or anything. It just closes. I can't find the uninstaller.

----------

UPDATE: I have fixed the menubar. I feel better. I am now working on the dock...

----------

UPDATE 2: I have completely solved the problem. closed.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software such as AppCleaner doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

10. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

It works well enough for me. I do often type in the program name in spotlight to find straggler files to delete also though...

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While it may be satisfactory for you, it's not finding all associated files and folders. Spotlight won't find all of them, either, since it won't search the Library folders. To find them all, you have to use Finder.

12. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

I see, thanks! Anyway to make spotlight search EVERYTHING?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, there isn't. Finder is better in that you can add criteria to your search that you can't add with Spotlight searches.

14. kelleycopter macrumors newbie

Ahh

Please help??
    I installed the same Obsidian menu bar, but it won't let me search in spotlight, and every time i open Finder it closes it automatically. CRAP.
    Please help as soon as you can. I need this computer not to be screwy for my classes.
    Soo many thanks ahead of time.

Note- I can't open Finder/search in spotlight, meaning I can't find the files, either. Tried Re-installing to remove files from original location (to see if it would ask to remove the first file) to no avail.

15. dianelim macrumors newbie

---I am experiencing the same thing. how did you solve the probleM? :(

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you follow the steps in post #9 of this thread?