I screwed up on Bootcamp! Now my dispay is black with flashing underscore!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kevinoh33, Mar 14, 2010.

1. kevinoh33 macrumors member

I was going to download windows XP using bootcamp and I did everything up to the point to the point where you choose FAT or NTSF. Well the only thing there was NTSF so I decided to cancel it. It said it was going to reboot so I waited and it restarted. I ejected the disk and now the screen is black and theres a white underscore flashing. I restarted it and its still not workingand the screen is still black.
    How do I fix it? I already tried the ctr+option+p+r thing wiht no luck. Do I have to reinstall OSX again?

Thanks in advance

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Is OS X available in the boot loader? Hold down Option after the boot tone.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am not sure what the "ctr+option+p+r thing" is, but have you tried booting just holding the option key?

If you have bootable OSX partition left standing, it should allow you too select it and boot from there

4. kevinoh33 thread starter macrumors member

I tried holding down option and only the Windows partition shows up and I didn't even completely install it.

I really hope I don't have to reinstall OSX and lose all my files.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Alas, my friend... I would say that is the likely outcome of your situation
    I am guessing you did not have an adequate backup strategy this time

6. kevinoh33 thread starter macrumors member

Im such a newbie with computer, especially Macs...

So Im trying to reinstall OSX but when it says select a disk space, there's no option for it.. Like theres no option to choose which disk to sace it on.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You will have to run Disk Utility from your install Disc and erase the drive
    Choose to format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    Once you erase/format it, you will be able to reinstall your OS

8. kevinoh33 thread starter macrumors member

Ok Thanks a lot.
    I really appreciate it even though reinstalling wasn't the option I wanted.
    But can you tell me what I did wrong with bootcamp?

I first installed the software update for OSX
    then I went to "boot camp assistant"
    then I clicked on the 5 gb option
    then I inserted my Windows XP CD and my macbook pro restarted and the blue screen popped up
    I then selected start the installation but I think there was only 2 options which was NTFS and the other one was NTFS <Quick>
    I chose the regular NTFS on but there was only one partition to choose from and I thought that was my OSX partition so I cancelled the whole thing and let my computer restart.
    After it restarted... the black screen with the white flshing underscore.

9. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

When you run Disk Utility from your OS X install disk, does it show your OS X partition on your drive, or only the Windows one? If it shows 2 partitions, try repairing the disk as it seems you have messed up the partition table. If it only shows the Windows partition then you have no choice but to reinstall OS X.

10. CLuv macrumors 6502

Were you trying to install windows xp sp3? If so I would stay away from 5GB, I would do a minimum of 10GB since windows xp sp3 takes around 6.5gb. Plus you're going to need room to install updates, patches and other software you will/may need on the windows side. I have a feeling the 5gb size is where your issue lies.

11. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

When you were installing Windows, what partition did you choose? If anything I'd guess you accidentally overwrote your OS X partition?

You should choose the partition named BOOTCAMP and format it to NTFS then continue with the installation.

Also get Win7, XP is... ancient.