I screwed up permissions - how to fix?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cricketbird, Nov 24, 2008.

1. cricketbird macrumors member

Okay, I kept hearing about the evils of daily use of an admin account, especially on a network (which I am). So, I created a new account, made it "admin", then changed my normal account to "standard".

Well, this messed up permissions to the point that I couldn't move or rename files in my home directory and my applications were complaining about not being able to save tmp files or preference settings. Each time I wanted to do anything, I had to enter an admin username and password. To fix this, I selected my home directory, got info, added MyName to the list of users, gave myself permission to read and write, and selected "apply to enclosed folders". I've done this logged in as MyName ("standard") and logged in as MyAdmin ("admin"), and I still have to go to each and every individual folder in my home directory and repeat this. My applications are still unhappy, I still have to enter admin username and password to do any work in the Finder.

I've run repair permissions, but it found nothing to repair.

How do I fix this? Arghhh...

CB

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I would recommend doing a time machine restore.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

4. cricketbird thread starter macrumors member

Fix (sort of)

Okay - I've made my old account "admin" again, and removed the new admin account. I'm back to a one user admin setup and things seem to be working well again (whew!).

Thanks for the input. I've got a follow-up question, but will put that in a new thread.

CB

5. vishvesh macrumors newbie