I screwed up! & small review

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lparsons21, Sep 23, 2017.

1. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

I have always liked the idea of the Apple Watch, but didn't care for the previous implementations. I thought this newest version would be the cat's meow with the LTE calling and so forth. Which leads me to my first screwup! I ordered the wrong damned watch! Got the GPS version and everything Watch at Apple has a 3-4 week+ shipping time! :(

After installing a few apps and playing around a bit, I still love the ideas presented. But my poor old eyes don't like the small screen much at all. I can read the bigger stuff without my reading specs, but the smaller stuff just is fuzzy and not useful. Not the fault of the watch, just a fact of my aging process.

I got the watch to use on the golf course as primary usage. Loaded two of the golf GPS apps on and while they work, they both offer very simplistic layouts due to the real estate restrictions of the screen. One of them wouldn't even work unless you upgrade ($) to one of the non-free versions. Both do what they do quite well, but are very limited in scope. One biggie is no presentation of the hole layout, neither as a made up picture nor as a satellite image. That is important. And what it means, is that even though the apps work and provide some info about the hole that is useful, you still need the phone using the same app being in range of the watch. Pretty much precludes the idea of only taking the watch on the course.

Because of that the most likely scenario is that I will send the watch back to Apple. Or less likely just keep the GPS version because the LTE version brings nothing to the table that I would need. I'm disappointed to say the least.

2. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat with middle-aged eyes. A lot of the info/apps/things watch can do = is not that useful for me - particularly without my reading glasses. But -I do like the notifications that let me know to check about phone messages and texts and to have ability to return an important call, and since I have to have 2 phones, the ability to use the watch and just carry one phone during the work day is useful to me.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I didn't get my apple watch for apps, and tbh, I barely use any. this is why I've been hesitant about the S3 over the S0. If I don't use apps what advantages does the S3 have over the S0.

4. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

For me, the advantage is the ability to only have one physical phone I have to keep up with but that on my personal phone (connected to the watch) - I can get texts and return them if my partner (who is very ill) needs me, phone calls from doctors, etc. I was missing stuff before I got my first apple watch = so I got the first series so I could know to check my phone (which has to be silenced during the day - and I am not wanting to or able to constantly look at it) - but carrying two phones is a giant pain to me.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

My eyes, like the rest of me, are well past middle age so I don't expect to see my wrist, let alone a watch, without corrective lenses. Most of the time I can't even see the time in nightstand mode, although Restasis seems to be helping there.

Like @maflynn, I don't use apps on my watch. But I'm eagerly waiting for my Nike brand with LTE to arrive on 5 Oct so that I don't have to carry my phone with me everywhere I go.

6. lparsons21 thread starter macrumors 6502

lparsons21

I was looking for something to use on the golf course primarily so I could leave the phone in the car or at home. LTE Watch would have done that, but the golf apps are relatively minimal on the watch.

Secondary was for lifeline type services, which would work on either the GPS or LTE watch.

7. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

I would give them some time. Not even apps like Twitter or Instagram were adapted for the LTE Watch on launch day.

8. lparsons21 thread starter macrumors 6502

lparsons21

I’m leaning that way. I’ve contacted both of the golf gps app developers I’m interested in to see what their plans are. And it is looking likely that I’ll keep the gps watch.

9. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

10. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Hey, lparsons21! Small world! Haven't seen you on the organ forum for a while?

11. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I'm just asking this out of my own curiosity, because I'm trying to understand why so many people are excited for a watch that lets them leave their iPhone behind: I don't play golf, but you carry a golf bag with clubs and stuff, right? Why would you need to leave your iPhone at the clubhouse? Doesn't the bag have a place for your phone? I definitely get why the the watch would be more convenient (assuming you can read it easily), but then you could use the watch (even a non-GPS version) with the iPhone in the bag.

I get why runners and water-sports enthusiasts are excited about the LTE watch. It's safer (at least for the phone) to leave your iPhone behind when you are on the water (although many just use a small dry-bag), and I know many runners can't stand to wear anything beyond shoes and a pair of tiny shorts while they run. I'm a cyclist, and there are many options for carrying a phone while cycling: Handlebar bag (if you have one), under-the-saddle bag, rear jersey pockets, or (more frequently seen these days... especially among racers) mounted to the handlebar. It seems like golfers would have many options as well. I would think that golf bags exist that allow you to mount the iPhone in such a way that it would be visible and usable, but you may find that the watch is still more convenient for some bits of information. I always have my iPhone with me while cycling, but I tuck it away because the watch is more convenient. Yes if I had the GPS + LTE watch I could leave the iPhone behind, but it doesn't save me any weight or free up any room that I need.

I do live on the coast though, and I love sea kayaking. As my kids get older I plan to get back into sea kayaking, and then I will be excited to have a watch that has built-in GPS and LTE.

In your case: If you bought the watch only for the golf course, and it doesn't fulfill the need you bought it for, and you don't have any other need for it, you might as well return it. I would give it a week and see how you like it though. My eyes aren't that great (progressive trifocals) but I can read the watch just fine thanks to bumping up the text size.

Sean

12. lparsons21 thread starter macrumors 6502

lparsons21

I haven’t been doing organ things for quite awhile. My Palladium is still at my old house!

13. lparsons21 thread starter macrumors 6502

lparsons21

Golf was primary reason, lifeline services is a close second. Both are supported on either version of the Watch 3. Of course the phone has to be close enough to the gps watch to work, but it seems the range is pretty good.

Btw, I don’t carry the bag or even walk the course. Old age and a bum hip have slowed me down a bit.

14. dolphin2421 macrumors regular

dolphin2421

I ride horses and I'm thrilled with the Series 3 watch because I can leave my phone in the tack room while I'm riding. The call clarity is astounding -- I can't believe how good it sounds. For me the addition of an LTE connection makes the watch a standalone device with fitness tracking, music and communication capabilities that I am delighted to have!

I'm sure someone will develop an app for equestrians to maximize more of the watch's potential. I was a bit jealous of the golfing apps...

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you aren’t walking, you are riding a golf cart, right? Even more options for carrying your phone with you. Leave the phone on your cart while you hit the ball, the watch would likely stay in range of the phone.

16. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I bet getting out there and playing is not only fun, but definitely keeps you moving a bit even if you aren't walking the course. If you do decide to keep the GPS watch, play around with the text size settings and even bold text. It can make the watch more readable, although it doesn't help with everything... just text. I can read text just fine, but I struggle to see the smaller complications, and finer details on maps. I still love having the watch though. It's convenient, especially when my iPhone is on the other side of the house or office charging or sitting in a speaker dock. I love it for silent notifications and for the simple fact I can see who is calling (and even answer the call) when my iPhone is out of reach. And as you mention, lifeline services can make the watch a matter of personal safety as well.

Sean
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    Sounds like a business opportunity for you if you've ever thought about designing an app (you can always hire a developer to help)! My niece is an equestrian rider. I can see how that makes the watch attractive. It's on your wrist so you don't have dig through a bag or dismount to find your phone. I'm glad to hear the call clarity is so good on the new watch. I have a Series 0 and have used it to make calls through the iPhone. Even on the first generation watch the clarity is surprisingly good, but it's really only useful in a quiet environment. Part of that issue is the watch speaker, which on the newer models is much better.

17. Neo1975 macrumors 6502

Varifocal lenses people, not reading glasses. Focus at all distances.

18. lparsons21 thread starter macrumors 6502

lparsons21

The golfing apps are somewhat simplistic on the Watch. Either because screen size or some other limitation may make them have to take that approach. Or possibly since the phone versions are so good that since the previous versions of the Watch had to have the phone in range, they didn’t bother making them more fully featured.

19. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

I’m waiting to see what kind of battery life the S3 has ... I sold my S1 hoping for a replacement with much better battery life.

20. dolphin2421 macrumors regular

dolphin2421

The S3 watch is everything I had hoped for in S0. Carrying my 7+ in a Tunebelt was cumbersome and generally unnecessary -- but having a means to call for help in case of emergency is pretty important. And I AM considering developing an App!!!! :D

21. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

I’m a golfer myself and have used Golfshot: GPS for my iPhone for quite a lot of years and have generally loved it. Their Watch app has been quite a big let down though. As you describe it’s way too simplistic and slow (on my S2) and way slower to update distance when I raise my wrist compared to my phone - just not good enough

22. Aragornii macrumors 6502

For others that use reading glasses, isn't there some sort of accessibility option to change the default font size like you can on an iPhone? I was planning to get an AW but if items on the screen are too small to read it would be worthless for me.

23. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

You can increase the font size as well as enable bold text. You can choose from 6 font sizes. I thought I would need the largest size and bold text, but I found that I can comfortably read text at size 4 without bold text. The trade-off is that the larger the text the less will fit on the screen, which means you have to scroll some content that would all fit with a smaller font size. That's not a big deal, but it can turn checking a text message into a two-handed process instead of just raising your wrist and seeing the entire message without scrolling (I will admit that on more than one occasion I scrolled with my nose when my hands were dirty :p).

Increasing text size doesn't make everything on the watch larger though, so some content will still be very small. The only issues I really have are fine details on maps or the smaller complications (some watch faces show the complications smaller than others). I do wear progressive trifocals (although I need to increase my reading prescription on them), which help. Reading glasses will help as well. I also stick to watch faces that display the complications a bit larger.

Sean

24. lparsons21 thread starter macrumors 6502

lparsons21

I use that and Swing by Swing. Today I played a round. Golfshot worked OK, but as you note it is very slow to update distance and even change holes. And it needs the phone to be running the app to work at all which negates the idea of the LTE watch IMO. Swing by Swing wouldn't find me on the course today for some odd reason, so I didn't get a chance to try it out.

I'm not happy about that! I've emailed the developers of both apps to get a roadmap of what they are going to do with the Apple Watch. Unless it can work with it without the phone being close by I'll most likely end up sending the Watch back and moving on. :(

The good is that after 27 hours I still have 67% battery left. That's after 18 holes and some other lighter uses.

25. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, did you try the bigger font or thicker text options yet?