I screwed up the transluscent menu bar, and now it doesn't work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flyingswordfish, Jul 27, 2008.

1. flyingswordfish macrumors newbie

I tried to do some of the stuff that they described in the thread about how to get back the transluscent menus, as opposed to just the bar. I believe I may have accidentally deleted a couple of files that make it work. I downloaded these files in the first place, and I think I accidentally deleted some original files that shared the names, or something. I posted a message about this in the "Bring back transluscent menus" thread, but here is that post again:

Hey guys, I messed up and I really need some help. I started to try that stuff with the HIToolbox, Core UI and SArtFile.bin, but I gave up and deleted the files that I downloaded. Now, my menu bar just shows a greyish white instead of transparency (I don't know if it messed up anything else). The normal menu bar works fine, though. What can I do to fix this? I re-downloaded those files that I tried already.

Someone please help me!

Is there any way to just reset it or otherwise fix the problem? I miss my transluscent menu bar. =(

Thanks!

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Just to be sure you tried that: did you reactivate the Translucent Menu Bar box in the preferences? it's found in the Desktop and screensaver preferences panel.

3. flyingswordfish thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, and when I try that, I get the white-ish bar instead of the transluscent one, like I said. I currently have it set on opaque, but I would really like to have back the transluscent one, too.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated!

4. flyingswordfish thread starter macrumors newbie

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Do you have a HD backup (Time Machine or otherwise) that will take you back before you deleted this stuff? If not, your best bet might be to back-up your user folders and do a re-install of OS X.

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You can do an Archive and Install. You don't have to wipe the drive clean. Just pop in your install disk and boot up to the install screen. Click the Options button and choose Archive and Install.
    This will remove your old System Folder and install a new one while keeping your settings and programs.

8. flyingswordfish thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the command line and this is what I got:

There is no (EnvironmentVariables) default for the (/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer) domain.
    Defaults have not been changed.

I don't know what this means. Does anyone know what I need to do?

I guess I will try the archive and install thing, unless anyone can help me figure out this command line business. Thanks for the help!

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Archive and Install should take no more than 45 minutes of your time and you're applications will remain in tact. There's no reason to hold out, it's very easy, you've been working at this since July 27th with no success on those complicated remedies. Let us know if this solves it. :)