Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007

psik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Nevermind, I am an Idiot I SOLVED MY PROBLEM,

All i had to do was hold the option key so I got to the password manager because you Open Firmware as described below blocks all other possible solutions: (this is what I missed from the apple page: * Requires the password to use the Startup Manager, accessed by pressing the Option key during startup (see below).)

Features of Open Firmware Password Protection

When turned on using one of the models listed above, Open Firmware Password Protection:

* Blocks the ability to use the "C" key to start up from an optical disc.
* Blocks the ability to use the "N" key to start up from a NetBoot server.
* Blocks the ability to use the "T" key to start up in Target Disk Mode (on computers that offer this feature).
* Blocks the ability to start up in Verbose mode by pressing the Command-V key combination during startup.
* Block the ability to start up a system in Single-user mode by pressing the Command-S key combination during startup.
* Blocks a reset of Parameter RAM (PRAM) by pressing the Command-Option-P-R key combination during startup.
* Requires the password to use the Startup Manager, accessed by pressing the Option key during startup (see below).
* Requires the password to enter commands after starting up in Open Firmware, which is done by pressing the Command-Option-O-F key combination during startup.

When turned on using an Intel-based Macintosh, Open Firmware Password Protection:

* Blocks the ability to use the "C" key to start up from an optical disc.
* Blocks the ability to use the "N" key to start up from a NetBoot server.
* Blocks the ability to use the "T" key to start up in Target Disk Mode (on computers that offer this feature).
* Blocks the ability to use the "D" key to start up from the Diagnostic volume of the Install DVD.
* Blocks the ability to start up a system in Single-user mode by pressing the Command-S key combination during startup.
* Blocks a reset of Parameter RAM (PRAM) by pressing the Command-Option-P-R key combination during startup.
* Requires the password to use the Startup Manager, accessed by pressing the Option key during startup (see below).

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Intel Macs don't have Open Firmware, they have EFI, so I'm not sure what you've done there.

From the link above 'Note that Intel-based Macintosh computers do not use Open Firmware. These steps do not apply to Intel-based machines.'

edit: Ah sorry misread the article. It's a bit odd they still call it an 'open firmware password' when it doesn't have open firmware.

psik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
You are right indeed tyr2, i copied the "Open Firmware" application from the Mac OSX Install Disk 1 from Applications/Utilities..but ya ur right its weird...

Intel Macs don't have Open Firmware, they have EFI, so I'm not sure what you've done there.

From the link above 'Note that Intel-based Macintosh computers do not use Open Firmware. These steps do not apply to Intel-based machines.'

edit: Ah sorry misread the article. It's a bit odd they still call it an 'open firmware password' when it doesn't have open firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.