Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danbob01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Hi guys,

Here is the deal. I am a technology teacher so I know my way around most devices really well. I swear by apple products and know a pretty good amount about using and fixing them. I went to jailbreak my personal iPad 2 and went through the process. Everything worked perfectly, but then all of a sudden after I powered it off and turned it on again after using it in its newly jail broken state and tweaking it a bunch, nothing worked, apps were misplaced, and all of the jailbreak related apps were frozen and so were my settings. I restored th iPad back to stock and got rid of the jailbreak and everything is perfect again. What could have caused this, and what can I do to prevent it from happening again because it was annoying. I want to re jailbreak the device, but also do not want to deal with this happening ever again. I know most people do not have any problems with it, so I want to know what I did wrong. I have searched and there was no specific information that came up about this type of jailbreak problem. Also wanted to know if I can permanently kill my iPad by doing this. Thanks in advance!

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
you mention 'tweaking it a bunch' - there was likely some unstable or incompatible tweak installed which resulted in problems. Sometimes you can remove the tweak, sometimes you have to restore. I have not heard of any cases of jailbreaking and its tweaks destroying an idevice. Flashing basebands (for unlocking) can cause irreversible damage.

You have to be a little careful of what you install outside of apples 'walled garden', it isn't always bug free.

Danbob01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Interesting. I did install a couple of things that I searched for on cydia that may have done it. Can installing something by accident that is only for the iPhone do it? Also how can I tell which things will kill my iPad? Seems like only some of them are specific to iPads only since the majority of jail broken devices are iPhones...

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Other than it being an iPad2, you provided little detail.
What firmware is on the iPad2 ?
What did you use to jailbreak it ?

As stated "tweaking it a bunch" is really ambitious.
You need to know that if this means you installed a bunch of Cydia apps, it is possible that your issue occurred because one/some of the apps are not compatible with it being an iPad2 or the firmware on the iPad2.

Recommendation (as with all issues that come from an unknown Cydia hack/app)
Restore it to current firmware, choose set up as new, do not restore to any backup to avoid re-corruption of the firmware.
Be very careful of Cydia apps/tweaks. Read the descriptions and compatibility statements. Install a couple, then reboot to test the unit powers up without issue. Then a couple more and another reboot, and so on
That way, when you have an issue, isolating it is possible, and not a needle in a haystack.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
might want to ptovide what firmware and what tweaks you installed. also I would uninstall one tweak at a time until it's stable again. allot of times people are so excited about installing tweaks and themes after jailbreaking they often install tweaks that end up causing conflicts or are buggy. After you have done it a while you just want the tweaks you know work and the devs that you know how to code.

Danbob01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Sorry guys I was out getting the car serviced and running errands before.

I am operating on 5.1.1
Used absinthe 2.0
Used cydia
Downloaded black keyboard, winter board, a couple of winter board themes, hid the newsstand icon, got a font program, and also most of the free apps under the getting started section on cydia. The thing that I think may have caused it was a grateful dead animation that I installed for the startup screen. I am going to be much more careful from now on as I did not realize how unstable and specific some of the tweaks and apps can be. I did love while it was working though. I think I will basically only use things at first that people on here have had success with. When I restored my iPad, I used a backup that I had made...is this bad if I made the backup before cydia was on the iPad?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
did you also download and install bootlogo for that nice grateful dead animation most bootup programs require bootlogo or something similar. if that's the problem upi also need to select it inside bootlogo.

Danbob01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Oh my God no I didn't install boot logo! I am betting that's what totally messed it up because I noticed that after I loaded the dead logo, I restarted the iPad and it didn't even try to activate the new logo, it justwent straight into Ios5 and that's when things got f'ed up. I had no idea that I needed to install a program beforehand. I still want to know why people put the iPad back to normal, delete the jailbreak, and don't use their backup....doesn't really make sense to me if the backup was made before cydia was installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.