I see a potential for passbook

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Tartarus, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Tartarus macrumors member

ok, so after trying to figure out passbook, i see a potential for an app that lets you take any old card that you have, (for instance, i want my speedway rewards card barcode on my phone) and put the barcode information on it, and customize other feilds if you want to. that IS the point of passbook right? its supposed to be a step towards replacing your wallet, so if somebody can make an app that lets you either photograph a card and turn it into a card, that could be a HUGE hit.

what do you think?

2. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

so technically passbook doesn't work right? i click on the bottom to the app store - tested the target app and all it did was put an icon on my screen. i thought it was suppose to be automatically filed in passbook?

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

You did not use the Target app correctly. The coupons get sent to Passbook.

Attached Files:

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

If those companies choose to make Passes for Passbook then yes, it would work that way. An app is not needed to use Passbook, so Speedway can have you log into their website , and your Pass can be emailed to you or opened right from Safari. In time this will all happen.

5. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

1. Passbook is supposed to do just one simple thing: organize tickets/passes/reservations that are buried inside apps. That's it. Instead of drilling into the United app for the boarding pass, it fishes the pass out of the clumsy app and puts it into Passbook. So if you aren't going anywhere and you aren't using iPhone apps for travel you shouldn't expect Passbook to do anything for you.

2. What you are describing already exists in the App Store. CardStar and KeyRing do this already, use your camera to scan a barcode on a loyalty card, boom it's in your iPhone.

3. What people seem to think is that #2 is supposed to be a part of #1 and it isn't.

BJ

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

To a certain extent that is true. There is nothing stopping a company from delivering passes via email or a link. A rewards program can be imported to Passbook when the developers make it happen on the back end.

7. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

sorry for hijack OP

so it will automatically be filed in passbook under one of the 4 folders?

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Sorry as well OP.
    Those are not folders but just examples Apple shows. Your cards appear on screen as I showed them. You swipe to get to the next card. I have two. Walgreens and Target. There are no folders.

9. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I'm not sure passbook was intended to be a storage device for loyalty cards as much as a central repository for movie, tickets, boarding passes, concert tickets, etc. I think developers can use it for loyalty passes like Walgreens has done, but I'm not sure that was Apple's intent.

Strikes me as ironic that if my summation is correct people are getting upset about something passbook was not primarily intended to do. Sure it was meant to do payments like Starbucks, but loyalty cards are just a happy benefit.

And to the OP, look at something like thin wallet, there is an update coming soon that will integrate it with passbook. This will act Asa way to collect all those loyalty cards and send them to passbook.

10. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I totally agree. People will expect to be able to scan every barcode in their wallet and have it imported into Passbook. It won't happen and a search of the forum shows their frustration.
    Apple could have done a better job perhaps of explaining how it works.

11. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

If you watch the Keynote, Scott Forstall explains it quite clearly. Passbook is there to organize passes, tickets, and reservations that otherwise are buried in apps. Passbook is there to help merchants feed these things to customers more efficiently. Buy a Giants ticket from TicketMaster in their app, boom, the ticket appears inside Passbook.

He shows a Starbucks example where they are feeding Passbook a reminder that you have $15.25 on a loyalty card, but the loyalty card is not in Passbook- just the reminder is.

Passbook is an app to help your apps that feed you documents, that's all it is.

BJ

12. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I have not looked at the documentation or the API so I am not sure if the app is needed. There are other ways to pass the pass to Passbook. Email and Safari for two.

13. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

^ this....and I have a feeling that this will be the majority of iPhone users.

Which is a complete fail IMO. I would much rather have this be compatible with loyalty cards. Not too many people go to the movies once a week or go to a concert every month.

I think loyalty cards is the way to go. Or membership cards such as Sam's club or Costco. If Apple only intended for this app to store tickets, then they should have provided a toggle to remove this icon from the home screen as this only applies to a small majority of iPhone users.

14. Tartarus thread starter macrumors member

Yes, my point is that passbook is not MEANT to do this, but with an app, you can MAKE it do this, just have an app that scans barcodes, transfers them to a pass, then you can add a title, and necessary info that the card contains. then create a pass and add it to your book. people would pay for that, and you would make a killing!

15. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

This thread explains Passbook better than Apple has.

And, if this explanation is accurate, then Passbook by itself is going to be pretty useless for me. I'll be interested to see what kind of Passbook support is introduced into apps like Key Ring, Cardstar, and Thin Wallet.

16. blazerdude20 macrumors member

Thats what i'm hoping for. I get tired of carrying all those store cards and such in my wallet.

If this were to take off i could abandon my wallet for a card holding case like my wife uses now.

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Passbook is finally working for me, but there are like only 6 companies listed, and I don't patronise any of them. :eek:

Though I cannot help but have this sneaking suspicion that Apple has bigger plans for passbook, and it may well be positioned as an alternative to NFC. We will see...:p