Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
I know it and feel it already. When the new Mac Pros are released the waiting period will be minimum 2 months, just like what happened with the new iMacs.

I just know Apple isn´t prepared for it, especially with the new "Made is USA" facilities. OMG this is gonna be bad let me tell you! :eek:

Another theory is of course, they know exactly what their doing. It´s part of their scarcity strategy.

BOTTOM LINE: We have to wait minimum 2 months for the Mac Pros when it is released. Thanks Apple in advance! :apple:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
With you knowing this for a certainty, it makes me wonder... What type of crystal is your crystal ball made of? And do you use anything special to polish it?

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
The laminated screens were the main issue for the iMac which obviously isn't going to be an issue for the MacPro!

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
My crystall ball is history. Future behaviour is past behaviour. Apple´s track record in these things isn´t very good.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I don't trust new factories. Or old ones.

Only a mature QC program that hasn't gone General Motors yet is worthy of buying from.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
With the popularity of Apple devices, short supply should be expected, especially with the latest and greatest crowd and new releases. Other factors such as quality control, shortage of third party parts ( Apple being one of the largest users of flash memory etc. )

The conspiracy theories, such as holding back availability of products, make me laugh as a company relies on its sales for profits and not its scarcity.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
The real Fiasco is that there probably is NO new Mac Pro in the pipeline. Even if there is it will never live up to the expectations of MacRumors members....

Probably a 30" tablet...... =(

Buy what's currently offered while you still can......

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
The real Fiasco is that there probably is NO new Mac Pro in the pipeline. Even if there is it will never live up to the expectations of MacRumors members....

And it won't live up to the expectations left by Tim Cook when he said, "...we’re working on something really great for later next year.”

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I know it and feel it already. When the new Mac Pros are released the waiting period will be minimum 2 months, just like what happened with the new iMacs.

I just know Apple isn´t prepared for it, especially with the new "Made is USA" facilities. OMG this is gonna be bad let me tell you! :eek:

Another theory is of course, they know exactly what their doing. It´s part of their scarcity strategy.

BOTTOM LINE: We have to wait minimum 2 months for the Mac Pros when it is released. Thanks Apple in advance! :apple:

Holy Crap! We're already complaining about the shipping times of an unconfirmed, unannounced Apple product? There has got to be something else to do all day than obsess over Apple minutia.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
Holy Crap! We're already complaining about the shipping times of an unconfirmed, unannounced Apple product? There has got to be something else to do all day than obsess over Apple minutia.

:eek:

LOL! I was just sitting here mulling over posting how the iPad 11 is going to be horrible with hardware issues while the iCar demand will outpace production in both the Kenyan and Antarctic factories. Seems there are more pressing worries I need to focus on like the non-existent Mac Pro that has potential shipping and shortage issues.

/end-tugging-OP's-chain :D

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Apple's new products will almost surely endure delayed shipping.

This has to do with trying to keep the products a secret. No way will it be possible to have engineered, built, tested en produced in huge amounts new Mac Pro's without some form of "leakage".

Maybe Tim can keep a lid on secrecy better if they're entirely built in the US. That could be...

Well, here's to hoping.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
it will never live up to the expectations of MacRumors members....

People have wildly different expectations, so yes, people will be disappointed no matter what Apple does. There seems to be three camps:

(1) Keep the case largely the same but update the internals.

(2) Go to a modular system which will magically be one third the price and twice as fast, because having a mishmash of differently-sized boxes, interconnect cables, and power cables makes it ninety times more awesome. No, not those other guys' modular ideas, which are stupid, but my modular idea, which is epic.

(3) xMac mid-tower pc-clone so it will be half the price and I can upgrade it with cheap PC/ATX parts.

I'm in camp #1.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
My crystall ball is history. Future behaviour is past behaviour. Apple´s track record in these things isn´t very good.

A giant cloud of smoke.

Apple's track record on not repeating major failures is rather good. It tends not to happen. Tim Cook mentioned in a conference recently ( or last Quarter results call ) that if he had to do over again he would have held off shipping the iMac till Janurary when higher likelihood they could have kept up with demand. ( Read inbetween the lines there they launched knowing they weren't really ready just wanted to hit the same date at iPad mini.). It is actually not very likely they will repeat that mistake again.

Apple gave themselves all of 2013 to ship a Mac Pro. That broad window isn't going to be hard to hit if there is a minor 1-2 month glitch somewhere if they had initially targeted July-Sept time frame. Even two month slide is still November.

Besides the super-quantity shipments of iPhones (which pragmatically really can't ship on day start taking orders due to sheer volume) and the iMac everything else shipped in 2012. So what track record? 2011 ( again iPhone and initial launch ramp up for iPads ) what track record?

The only similarity to the iMac is that Apple turned off the "old" iMac production too soon and there were no iMac to be found. They pragmatically shift alot of demand out of Sept-mid Nov into December and hand troubles selling to everybody ( some got shipments , but many were waiting).

Same issue here. While the Mac Pro is much smaller user base shipments to EU Markets have been cut off for months at this point. The Obsorne Effect sends a every larger number of people to the sidelines each month as the year progresses.

Most likely Apple won't completely turn off old factory for new factory this time for a smoother transition but Apple is OCD about "extra" inventory so they won't overlap.

So any BTO config shipping in 2-3 days likely won't be true. But zero machine shipping to nobody .... that likely is not true at all.

----------

No way will it be possible to have engineered, built, tested en produced in huge amounts new Mac Pro's without some form of "leakage".

Huge amounts relative to what? BubbaGump's corner PC hotrod building shop? Perhaps. But for the price range $2,500+ the annual run-rate is likely in the 100-250K range. If they had 20K ready at launch that is more than plenty. If the factory can do 10-20K per month you just need a 1.5 month at normal capacity to stockpile that many. If they just ran just a month in advance, they could still launch with very tight constraints for about 2-4 months.

This is a far different context than iMacs or MBP that run 5-6 times as high run rates per month.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2006

What new Mac Pro's? Oh ya, the one's we keep hearing nothing about. Ya, really looking forward to those.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
People have wildly different expectations, so yes, people will be disappointed no matter what Apple does. There seems to be three camps:

(1) Keep the case largely the same but update the internals.

(2) Go to a modular system which will magically be one third the price and twice as fast, because having a mishmash of differently-sized boxes, interconnect cables, and power cables makes it ninety times more awesome. No, not those other guys' modular ideas, which are stupid, but my modular idea, which is epic.

(3) xMac mid-tower pc-clone so it will be half the price and I can upgrade it with cheap PC/ATX parts.

I'm in camp #1.

I'm in your camp #1 too. I find it hard to believe Apple would all of a sudden spend a bunch of R&D time and resources (because money really isn't the issue) building a new system or case on a product they've show little or no interest in for the last several years.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I honestly don't care if the damn things don't come out till the fall, just throw us a bone at what's coming. Announce them at WWDC already!

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I find it hard to believe Apple would all of a sudden spend a bunch of R&D time and resources (because money really isn't the issue) building a new system or case on a product they've show little or no interest in for the last several years.

Apple is doing #2. It is called the Mac mini. What folks have their underwear in a twist over is the pace of progress. In 3-4 years the Mini will be much faster. (no overall system is going to be twice as fast in a short amount of time... if using evolving components that generally doesn't happen.) There will be more modular boxes you can hook to it.

But yeah there is no huge reason to drop the Mac Pro to do improved mini since they had been doing both at the same time.

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
I'm just waiting patiently for the sole purpose of the reactions of people here when and if a Pro is released.

I turned my fans on high and am repeatedly putting my fingers in them, to keep me busy during the wait.

So far no injuries, and now I am confused as to why it was such an issue in the EU.:confused:

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
^^Exactly.

I think there won't be ANY waiting time, lots less people want/can afford/need a Mac Pro than an iMac.

It depends where the starting price is. If there is a Core i7 starting point there will be a waiting list ...

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

World's. Most. Idiotic. Prediction.

There is no official announcement of a "New Mac Pro". And yet you are already predicting a "shipping fiasco". Idiotic at best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.