iPhone XR I see it coming, let's read your issues with the XR...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Oct 26, 2018.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm returning my XS Max due to connectivity issues. I have some options, either exchange it, wait, or even try the XS. The XS Max is a heavy phone and maybe, a tad too large for what I normally use a phone for. However, with that said, I'm curious what the XR looks in-person. Headed to Apple later today to check it out. Will return XS Max next week close to the 14 days return window.

So let's hear what issues you have about it, especially from those that had the X, XS and/or XS Max. How does it compare? Is it worth saving money to go XR.

2. menist, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018

menist macrumors 6502

menist

I return my 256GB Max last week and will be getting the 128gb XR today. I mostly used it just as a phone, emails, social media, and internet browsing. Didn't need to spend $1300+.

3. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Just got mine, setup was a breeze, restored from encrypted backup. This phone is hella fast & buttery smooth, I love it!

4. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

Apparently the XR now has #screenprotectorgate according to several comments on the forum that say it has a screen protector because of the way Apple did the glass this time around due to using LCD technology which is a bit more finicky. No screen protector here, just a minor out-of-box defect.

[​IMG]

5. white4s macrumors 68000

You won't be getting a single complaint from me.

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Why are some people so eager for others to report issues with a new device? It’s like they want the new device to be full of flaws and defects. I don’t know why mods allow threads like this.

7. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

Some people like to preemptively avoid issues first-hand. At least this is what I think he's going after.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

And the award for first #unnecessary#insertdumbunsubstantiated-gateclaim goes to @jona2125

Three cheers!

9. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

None here. I think I’m gonna be quite pleased.

10. chanerz macrumors 65816

11. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

First time in several cycles a new iPhone I've bought has a good screen! Last year I went through 3 8's and they all had uneven screens, this XR is pretty much perfect...

12. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

Tried XS after my first Max, back to XS Max now, and tried Xr in the store. XS was just too small screen wise. It’s too narrow. Lovely phone otherwise but I got tired of having to zoom into every picture. Yes XS Max is heavy and “big” in a sense, but coming back to it, I felt back at home with it. Although admittedly I think the Xr is the perfect size and wouldn’t be surprised to see apple drop the XS size and move it up to the Xr size in the future. Now for the Xr: I played with one at a T-Mobile store and it ain’t it (for me). The first thing I noticed was the aluminum casing. With the XS right next to it, it just looked cheap to me. Second thing I noticed was the screen. Of course with the screen brightness all the way up, apple screens look gorgeous but after you’ve had the X/XS/XS Max screens, it’s pretty obviously a downgrade. The bezels stood out to me as well but only because I came from the XS/XS Max. Interestingly the only thing that was of interest to me was the glass back. It was beautiful. I was initially on the fence about possibly getting one but it’s definitely not for me.

13. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

Not a single issue for me to report with the XR. All I know is I am heading to the Apple store to bring the Max back. Screen is perfect to me, easier on my eyes than the OLED, but I won't lie it's not as crisp and the colors aren't quiet as vivid, but I am totally happy with it. The camera is great! Super happy even without the telephoto lens. Buttery smooth as they say! $450 back in my bank suites me just fine! 256 vs 128 and if was to add apple care I'd save another $50 because it's $50 less on the XR for the same coverage. That is now $500.

Having the XR, I just realized just how blown up everything is on the Max. You really gain very little with that big screen. I also find that I can handle the phone to do some things better with one hand as well.

14. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Yeah some people are already planting #ScreenGate around here.

Good stuff.

15. treyhunnid macrumors regular

treyhunnid

how else will the haters build up any issue into a ____gate.

16. ET iPhone Home, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018

ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Yes, thank you, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. And if there is no known issues, like the first few members posted, that makes me feel better, but by no means am I hoping for anyone who bought an XR to encounter issues. It is still an expensive phone and I would want anyone investing this kind of money to have a perfectly working phone right out of the box..
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2018 ---
    I was just at Apple this morning inquiring about my return on my XS Max. They dispatched me to tech support right in the store and created a case number. I told them, I was coming back on Sunday or Monday to return my XS Max. Tech then tells me, I am covered under the 1 year limited warranty. I'm like, I don't want this phone. It has connectivity issues. They do a diagnostic and tells me it's green lights on their end. Well, sorry, but I'm not making up my connectivity issues.

Question? Is it difficult to return a phone back to Apple? They know I'm still within my 14-day window, but they keep pushing me to keep the XS Max.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2018 ---
    Copy this post and tell this to your car maker before they notify you with a recall when you purchase your next new car.

17. nutmac macrumors 601

I have iPhone XS.

I picked up red iPhone XR for my wife today and I am pretty jealous.

The loss of telephoto lens is not as significant as I thought because (1) wide angle lens performs so much better than telephoto lens and (2) I prefer wide angle portrait mode, even with all the limitations.

And so far, XR has much more stable Wi-Fi performance (holds onto weaker signal better) and 3-5 hours longer battery life to boot.

While I appreciate XS's portability, as a former iPhone 7 Plus user, I miss extra screen real estate from time to time.

So the only major tangible benefit is OLED, particularly for its deep black level and HDR dynamic range. Not sure that's worth $250.

18. tops2 macrumors 6502

No problem with mine too. In some ways, the slightly smaller size makes it actually easier for me to use one handed compared to my 6+ so far.

19. petsk macrumors 6502

petsk

I’m in the return window for both the Max and XR. Been trying the Max out a couple of days and the XR for a few hours.

I have to test the XR more, i have not decided which one to keep. But so far I feel that text is sharper on the Max but the XR is a bit easier to pocket and use with one hand.

Both phones displays equal amount of content, which I like. On the XR everything just gets a bit smaller.

XR is taking better portraits in low light situations. The max produced very grainy portraits compared to the XR in low light while I tested.

I got the Red XR, the color on the back was not as good as I was hoping, the red is a bit too deep/dark for my liking.

Haptic is okay but 3D has an clear edge if you use it a lot. Long press is a bit slower too.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Because on a tech forum, you have those who stringently look for flaws with their iPhones, versus a normal consumer who just wants to use the phone out of the box. Seemingly so many expect perfection from Apple, and when they find something wrong, then they feel the need to bash them over the littlest things. When you mass produce an iPhone like the XR, which is likely around 600,000 units a day, there will be imperfections. That’s just the reality.