I Seem to Have Developed a Scratch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Silvereel, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Silvereel macrumors 6502

It looks like my iPod touch has developed a scratch or something. It's a small, perfectly straight and smooth line, less than a centimetre long in the screen. I've had it less than a month and I've taken good care of it, keeping it in a sock and case whenever it's not in use. I was just reading the NY Times on it when I noticed it. I've heard it is supposed to be pretty tough and I've even seen people take knives to it and it come away with no scratches, but mine hasn't come into anything sharp at all, only my fingers and the sock. I've tried cleaning it to make sure it isn't just a smudge, I can feel it a bit if I rub over it very carefully with my nail.
    Has anyone else had anything like this happen? Could it be defective? I'm going to take it by the Apple Store tonight and see what they say, I know it is very tiny, but having had it for less than a month it just bugs me awful.

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Sorry to say it, but youre gunna have to live with it. It isnt defective, and Apple wont do anything about it. And when you say youve seen people take knives to it, Im guessing you were watching an Invisible Shield demonstration. Its an iPod, its gunna get scratched, best thing to do is just try to ignore it.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It sounds odd to get a scratch on the screen.

The material is pretty tough, so I'd go see what they say at the store.

4. Silvereel thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't make an appointment, I was already in the area, so I dropped by the store and showed it to one of the Genuises. He says I will have to make an appointment with a technician later, but it looks more like a defect to him since I have had it for so little time and it is so straight. It's perfectly straight, I would say it was some dead pixels if I couldn't feel a raised spot. We'll see what comes of it, but it is very hard to notice unless it is very close to your eyes and on a white background. I only started reading ebooks on it last night, and it kind of makes me wonder if it might have always been there and I never noticed.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Symmetry counts! :p
    Hope this clears up for you. Sucks having a device for less than a month and to have it get scratched like that...

6. Silvereel thread starter macrumors 6502

Something is definetely afoot. I have a cold now, so I won't be taking it back to the store for a few days, but now, directly below this spot another one has formed. I was reading, all was well, then five minutes later this. What is really weird is that it is exactly the same as the other one. Perfectly straight and of the exact same legnth of the other on, yet I can feel it slightly raised.

7. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

But I though it was impossible to scratch the screen.:confused:

8. Silvereel thread starter macrumors 6502

All's well that ends well. I was feeling better today, so I got an appointment for the Genius Bar. I waited for about 2 minutes, then the guy looked at it and said it was a glass defect. He gave me a brand new iPod. All in all, it took about five minutes to do this and he threw in a free Apple Care sales pitch :rolleyes:

9. BrioCloud macrumors member

This ought to show those noob who says the iTouch doesn't need screen protectors. Tch. Idiots.

10. Silvereel thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, considering the guy said it wasn't a scratch and all...

11. JoshJosh117 macrumors 6502

My 1st gen touch has never gotten a scratch on the front, just on the back. I find it odd that yours got a scratch... I've seen videos (without screen protector) of people rubbing keys and stuff on the screen without scratching it.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The glass is scratch-proof to a certain degree. It's not totally invincible, but under heavy stress, the glass should be fine. However, every glass material is prone to damage by rapid heat/cold. Glass will expand when hot and shrink in size when cold. Rapid heating and cooling could cause cracks to form.

13. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

My 1st gen iPt's screen has many scratches on it. And it was only a week back that I placed a screen protector on it. :eek:

14. Nikkos macrumors newbie

I had the same thing happen to my iPhone it seems to just appeared from no where i had the iphone for two years tho but i could feel it was raised but it was a dead straight small line in the glass.

Am sure this is something to do with heat and cold and the glass expanding like someone else has pointed out.