Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
pros

* I loved the keyboard. i see all the threads here and I actually feel bad for Apple here since it seems pretty binary on who likes the KB and who hates it. I think the KB was a joy to type on and I'm coming from a Late 2014 model.

* TouchId seems nice.
* Touchbar is a slight net positive so giving credit here.

cons
- In short -it really wasn't a big improvement over my 2014 MBP. It's a slighty nicer machine in all respects but that does not merit a purchase.

in short I'm back on the waiting train. Things that I want or could get me to upgrae:

- Big upgrade to screen (10 bit) and VR in GPU
- a HUGE price cut on the current models. If the high end came down to like 2400 or so after tax I'd be tempted. But 3K w/ tax - NFW

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
If you're coming from an end of generation price to a new generation price there's always a hike. Just compare Apple's first generation top end MBP's historically, they're the same price. Also realistically you'll not notice a day to day increase in speed between only a few iterations, usually around 4 years you should notice a speed bump, but likely minor. 6 years it'll be more visible. Basically never expect a miracle with these things.

By the sounds of it you'll be happier around 2019/2020. 2019 will bring a much cheaper price, likely comparable to what you'd want to pay. With 2020 bringing a new design and possibly a pure 10bit screen, although the Jurys still out on the usefulness of this when compared to software dithering.

Reactions: itsamacthing

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
If you're coming from an end of generation price to a new generation price there's always a hike. Just compare Apple's first generation top end MBP's historically, they're the same price. Also realistically you'll not notice a day to day increase in speed between only a few iterations, usually around 4 years you should notice a speed bump, but likely minor. 6 years it'll be more visible. Basically never expect a miracle with these things.

By the sounds of it you'll be happier around 2019/2020. 2019 will bring a much cheaper price, likely comparable to what you'd want to pay. With 2020 bringing a new design and possibly a pure 10bit screen, although the Jurys still out on the usefulness of this when compared to software dithering.
This is the 2nd iteration of a product that came out last year. I do expect them to drop prices in the fall and/or with sales. I'd be tempted at a $300-400 off at BHP which has no tax. That's 2400 which seems reasonable for this device and 500 off what you'd pay in store.. Their margin on these suckers is higher than I've seen on a MBP in years.

I would not be surprsied if return rates on these machines is a lot higher once people use it a week or so and realize the value of the upgrade isn't quite worth the price. High return rates would drop if they just bring the price down or -- add some more impactful value like 10bit on the screen or a VR ready machine

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
This is the 2nd iteration of a product that came out last year. I do expect them to drop prices in the fall and/or with sales. I'd be tempted at a $300-400 off at BHP which has no tax. That's 2400 which seems reasonable for this device and 500 off what you'd pay in store.. Their margin on these suckers is higher than I've seen on a MBP in years.

I would not be surprsied if return rates on these machines is a lot higher once people use it a week or so and realize the value of the upgrade isn't quite worth the price. High return rates would drop if they just bring the price down or -- add some more impactful value like 10bit on the screen or a VR ready machine

Not many people care about 10 bit color or VR. Apple will set the prices to make maximize net profits for the product line, just a company should.

Reactions: Queen6 and KGB7

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai

It's literally the same price as the top 2012 MBP Pro at $2799, which works out around $3000 in todays money. This is the 2nd internal iteration of the product, but it is still only 7 months. Usually you find price drops yearly. But seeing as they released this one in the summer, and we're not due a new one till next summer (Depending on processor upgrades), I would expect to see some kind of drop then as it would be closer to 2 years. Although they may choose to fit them with better components, more RAM, or larger SSD in order to maintain a price point as opposed to offering a low end version.

Also yes, if there is a large increase in returns due to people buying them and returning constantly. Then expect the price to remain the same.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Not many people care about 10 bit color or VR. Apple will set the prices to make maximize net profits for the product line, just a company should.
that's the thing- i see a lot of folks returning them or not buying them as frequently. this translates to lower margins becuase of returns or slower growth.

and Apple cares about AR and VR - it's the future of the company- just a question of when it makes it in.
[doublepost=1498585451][/doublepost]
It's literally the same price as the top 2012 MBP Pro at $2799, which works out around $3000 in todays money. This is the 2nd internal iteration of the product, but it is still only 7 months. Usually you find price drops yearly. But seeing as they released this one in the summer, and we're not due a new one till next summer (Depending on processor upgrades), I would expect to see some kind of drop then as it would be closer to 2 years. Although they may choose to fit them with better components, more RAM, or larger SSD in order to maintain a price point as opposed to offering a low end version.

Also yes, if there is a large increase in returns due to people buying them and returning constantly. Then expect the price to remain the same.
There will be a price drop in the fall. I'd wager $100.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
There will be a price drop in the fall. I'd wager $100.

Well in real terms it'll be $100 more expensive than it was at launch by the fall so you could be right. But have Apple ever changed the pricing on a product? I've only ever known them to release an update (However small) alongside a price adjustment. Unless some major economic crisis happens anyway.

Not getting at you or anything, I just wouldn't be holding my breath expecting a significant price drop anytime soon. If you needed the computer then buy it now and enjoy it. If you don't need it then hold onto the computer you currently have and buy a new one when you need it.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I don't really understand your thread because you knew before you got the 2017 that it didn't cover any of your cons or things you want. In reality the things you listed that you want are never going to happen in the next year or 2 or even ever. So what was the point of buying the 2017?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Was a 15" MBP with dGPU ever 2400? Its seems to me that Apple is simply back to their historic pricing...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
But have Apple ever changed the pricing on a product? I've only ever known them to release an update (However small) alongside a price adjustment. Unless some major economic crisis happens anyway.
I know for sure that the iPhone SE 64gb came down from $500 to $450 mid cycle and with no fanfare. (When they went to 32/128, the high end went back up to $500.) I think they dropped the price on the trash can Mac Pro earlier this year, too, didn't they?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I know for sure that the iPhone SE 64gb came down from $500 to $450 mid cycle and with no fanfare. (When they went to 32/128, the high end went back up to $500.) I think they dropped the price on the trash can Mac Pro earlier this year, too, didn't they?

I think it's different for those products they make without yearly updates, like iPhone SE/Mac Pro/iPod etc. The Mac Pro had a reshuffle of options, whereby they made the previous top end version the new lowest. Whilst that is a pricing change, it's not like they dropped the prices across the board offering $500 discounts, they just moved one pricing option down and created new higher ones.

It's entirely possible they could drop the price a little, but that would require seriously bad sales which I'm not seeing. As I said Apple tend to keep the price the same for at least a year after a product launch. So we'll see what happens next year, whether they release in June and try create a new schedule or go back to the fall schedule. Then I would expect something to happen, whether it would be a price drop or spec reshuffle I don't know. But you could find the top end at $2799 came with better/faster components, or they keep it the same as it is today but reduce the price to $2499. Historically I would guess by 2019 you'll be looking at around $2199-$2399 for the top end, and when they release a new one around 2020 it'll be around $2799. And then the cycle of 'overpriced' etc. shall continue.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
System Profiler shows the 2017 15" display as being 30 bit (10 bits per color). Not sure if full support is there now or if it's coming with High Sierra. I don't know how to test or I would.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I don't really understand your thread because you knew before you got the 2017 that it didn't cover any of your cons or things you want. In reality the things you listed that you want are never going to happen in the next year or 2 or even ever. So what was the point of buying the 2017?
Well I didn't know what I'd think of all the new features. In sum, they are almost all nicer....just not worth upgrading.
I also had expected a bit of a power increase on the AMD 560. Really wasn't noticeable on much.
So lots of slightly nicer things just nothing worthy of an upgrade.

MacDevMike

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Discovery Bay, Ca
Well I didn't know what I'd think of all the new features. In sum, they are almost all nicer....just not worth upgrading.
I also had expected a bit of a power increase on the AMD 560. Really wasn't noticeable on much.
So lots of slightly nicer things just nothing worthy of an upgrade.

It's interesting because when Apple did the demo on stage for the update, I didnt even see them mention the AMD 560. It was all about the move to Kaby Lake.

With the amount of time that Apple spent talking about AR and VR on stage at WWDC, there is no doubt that they are taking it seriously. That's why you already have a AMD 580 in the iMac, the official support of eGPU coming in OSX, and also AMD full Vega class cards in the iMac Pro. This is the first time I have ever seen Apple taking graphics seriously. With Facebook and their push towards virtual meetings with Oculus I think Apple is scrambling. They don't seem to care about gaming much, but it happens that whats good for VR is good for gamers as well.

I think you will see them put a mobile version of Vega in the MBP in Q1 of 2018 that makes it VR capable. I also think they may introduce their own Apple branded eGPU solution. Notice that they mentioned that "official support was coming mid 2018." I suspect its going to coincide with the release of the Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.