'i' shaped spot on glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mackk, Oct 31, 2007.

1. mackk macrumors member

I searched for this, so please forgive me if this is a re-post.

I just noticed a spot at the very top of my screen, under the chrome. It's shaped like a sideways lower-case 'i'. If I apply any pressure to that area, the screen flickers and won't work and I have to restart. I can't think of anything that has happened to the phone recently to cause this.

I have an appointment set up, but I was curious if anyone has seen this?
    Itried to get some good pics, but it's so faint. And if I try to wipe my fingerprints away, I'll end up pressing that area and screwing it up again.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    It's above the receiver, just under the chrome.
    Thanks for any input!

2. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

That's the proximity sensor. It's there in order to dim the screen if you have the phone up to your ear. You're tricking it into thinking it's up against your face, so it thinks it should turn the screen off.

[reference to looking foolish removed]

3. mackk thread starter macrumors member

How do I stop tricking it then? when I put it up to my face nothing changes. It's a blank screen durung calls and after. So no one at apple knew this?

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, it shouldn't lock up the phone and force him to restart...

5. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

Okay, fair enough. If it's not turning back on when you take it away from your face/thumb/other body part, then you probably should take it in. It also shouldn't be doing anything at all unless you're on a call.

My advice? Try doing a Restore on it through iTunes and see if that corrects the problem.

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

That IS the proximity sensor ... but it shouldn't make your screen flicker or cause a need for a restart ... so yes you should take it in .. it sounds like the phone is defective ..

The screen should only go blank when you're on a call (or listening to a VM)

7. mackk thread starter macrumors member

Whenever I add pressure to that area, the screen goes crazy. Then it's just sort of locked into a blank screen (as if the phone was off). That happens any time. Not just during a call. hmm

8. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

Is it actual pressure, or are you just covering up the sensor? Try it without any pressure at all and see if it acts normally.

9. mackk thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is pressure. About as much as you'd apply for wiping off fingerprints. If I gently place my finger on the sensor, or even tap it lightly, nothing happens.

Pressure aside, I don't think I should be SEEING this sensor. I've using the phone for about an hour now after I plugged it into itunes (I didn't retore either) and phone seems to be working like normal, despite the visible sensor.

Three guys at apple support couldn't tell me what it was. Within SECONDS of posting on here people knew what it was. Perhaps I just described it poorly!
    Seeing as it wasn't rocket science, I guess I should have known this myself.

10. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

I can see mine very faintly behind the glass, if held in full light, and at a certain angle, FWIW.