Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmb70

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
KISS has been my all time favorite band since I was 7 years old. Saturday I got a text I was going to be able to shoot them, 2 songs in the pit, I was beside myself with joy. Long story short, when I got there we had to shoot from the soundboard, I was majorly disappointed but I still got some ok shots.

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/dmb70/KISS Milwaukee 6-27-09/

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1109.jpg
    IMG_1109.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 78

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Seems like they would've been much better if not for the tad bit of camera/subject motion. Why not bump the ISO to 800 or even 1600 for the faster shutter speed?

dmb70

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Ya they are a tad soft. Those were at 800. Not usually shooting from so far away I wasn't sure if I'd be better off with less noise or the fast shutter, knowing I was going to have to do some extreme cropping to get in on the action. Being a novice photog, looking back I definitely should have went with the higher ISO/more noise. LIve & learn I guess.:(
I almost didn't bring a zoom lens at all, because we were told we'd be in the pit, good thing I did.

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Ya they are a tad soft. Those were at 800. Not usually shooting from so far away I wasn't sure if I'd be better off with less noise or the fast shutter, knowing I was going to have to do some extreme cropping to get in on the action. Being a novice photog, looking back I definitely should have went with the higher ISO/more noise. LIve & learn I guess.:(
I almost didn't bring a zoom lens at all, because we were told we'd be in the pit, good thing I did.

Still some great shots and what an opportunity to photography your favorite musicians! If you don’t mind me asking how do you go about getting access to this type of photography? I’ve tried at sporting arenas and haven’t had any success to date.

dmb70

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons are KISS. What you shot was Stanley and Simmons and two other dudes. ;)

I agree 110%, I'm a big Ace Frehley fan, but half KISS is better than no KISS in my book.:D

As far as how I got the opportunity. A friend of mine who is a more experienced photographer & shoots for a few online music sites, called in a couple favors as a huge gift to me. So this might really be a once in a lifetime experience.

I have a close working relationship with the band the Donnas, so I usually shoot them & other acts that play on the same bill. As you know it seems almost impossible to get to shoot national bands unless you know someone.
I'm currently trying to get to shoot The Black Crowes at a local county fair & having no luck.

For the KISS shots I shot a Rebel XT & was able to borrow a Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 on short notice. I think after this shooting experience, for me it will be worth the extra $ to save for the Canon version with IS.

I'm sure most of you can relate, but I look at these shots & kick myself, because I can think of several things I could have done to improve them in camera, but was slightly overwhelmed by both it being my fav band & not shooting from the pit as I had been told. A more experienced person would have been able to adapt on the fly.
Still a great experience though! Thanks for your kind words.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.