Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
This looks like a better value.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...pple-watch-offers-features-the-real-one-lacks

What this no-name watch provides that Apple doesn't is phone calls right from the watch—without the need to connect to your smartphone—through a built-in microphone and surprisingly clear speaker. Its 3-megapixel front-facing camera adds another feature that won't be found on the wrists of Apple Watch buyers.

For $60, the PK G2 smartwatch gives you a sapphire display, built-in heart rate monitor, and an IR transmitter that turns your wrist into a remote control for your air conditioner or TV.

EDIT: Another pic of the UI: http://www.vietnambreakingnews.com/...ple-watch-offers-features-the-real-one-lacks/

Attachments

• -1x-1.jpg
    -1x-1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I am joking but it's odd that they have features that I wish Apple included. But Apple is clearly holding some features back for next year to compel us to upgrade.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
People like to take for granted how well Apple's software works. It's because they take really slow, calculated steps when it comes to features. They hone and sharpen each feature at a time and make sure it's as best as they can get it before they add it to the product. This is why Apple is always seen as "playing catch up" when it comes to competitive technological progression. It's also why they are able to say "it just works" and be right most of the time. It's a perfect example of quality over quantity. Give them time to figure out how to do it right.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
I know you are joking but cell watches like this have been around for a while. Best Buy used to sell a "spy" watch that made calls using a sim and had a camera. It was a total POS. I know the newer knockoffs do more - just dont know how well.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
People like to take for granted how well Apple's software works. It's because they take really slow, calculated steps when it comes to features. They hone and sharpen each feature at a time and make sure it's as best as they can get it before they add it to the product. This is why Apple is always seen as "playing catch up" when it comes to competitive technological progression. It's also why they are able to say "it just works" and be right most of the time. It's a perfect example of quality over quantity. Give them time to figure out how to do it right.
I agree to a point with that. But then what about when they released Maps? They don't always follow the steps you laid out.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
True, there will always be exceptions.
Add to that list, iOS8, OSX Yosemite, AND the Apple Watch. The Apple Watch is little more than a Beta product at this point. The crown is a major failing point, not to mention the code for the UI and 3rd party integration was woefully inadequate. Yes, the AppleWatch will get better, but it is not what I would call a product that was ready for launch. Apple rushed and you can tell.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Add to that list, iOS8, OSX Yosemite, AND the Apple Watch. The Apple Watch is little more than a Beta product at this point. The crown is a major failing point, not to mention the code for the UI and 3rd party integration was woefully inadequate. Yes, the AppleWatch will get better, but it is not what I would call a product that was ready for launch. Apple rushed and you can tell.

Well then you might as well throw the iPhone on that list. The original iPhone was woefully inadequate by your standards--no 3G connectivity, crippled messaging (no MMS), no 3rd party native applications, no copy and paste, etc, etc.

Yes, I'll agree that the 'Apple takes it's time to make sure everything is done right, yada, yada, yada" argument is not universally true and WAY overused as a point of debate on these forums.

And yes, I'll also agree that the Apple Watch isn't fully baked, but then none of Apple's products are fully baked when they are first released (iPod, iPad, MacBook Air, now the new MacBook). But you know what the Apple Watch IS, regardless of whether you like the design/style? It's far more polished than either the initial version of Android Wear or smartwatches running it, or any of Samsung's first smart watch offerings were. And that's the typical trend--Apple isn't first and usually don't have the greatest number of features and functionality, but will bring their version with more polish than previous offerings.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There is nothing inherently wrong with iOS 8 or the Apple watch. I'm struggling with getting an aw for me as I just bought one for a family member and the iOS integration is great. The only think holding me back is the Fitbit surge I just bought. But this is imo. Ymmv.

But if you're interested in the watch then you should buy it.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Well then you might as well throw the iPhone on that list. The original iPhone was woefully inadequate by your standards--no 3G connectivity, crippled messaging (no MMS), no 3rd party native applications, no copy and paste, etc, etc.

Yes, I'll agree that the 'Apple takes it's time to make sure everything is done right, yada, yada, yada" argument is not universally true and WAY overused as a point of debate on these forums.

And yes, I'll also agree that the Apple Watch isn't fully baked, but then none of Apple's products are fully baked when they are first released (iPod, iPad, MacBook Air, now the new MacBook). But you know what the Apple Watch IS, regardless of whether you like the design/style? It's far more polished than either the initial version of Android Wear or smartwatches running it, or any of Samsung's first smart watch offerings were. And that's the typical trend--Apple isn't first and usually don't have the greatest number of features and functionality, but will bring their version with more polish than previous offerings.
Sure, if I sit back and watch what everyone else does first, examine the hardware and the products shortcomings AND then I come out with my hardware, of course it SHOULD BE more polished. However, by the time Apple gets its first product out, the competition is on version 2 or 3 (or will be shortly) and the OS has been upgraded.

Even still, Apple still stutters out of the gate. The Apple Watch is just the latest to do so.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Sure, if I sit back and watch what everyone else does first, examine the hardware and the products shortcomings AND then I come out with my hardware, of course it SHOULD BE more polished. However, by the time Apple gets its first product out, the competition is on version 2 or 3 (or will be shortly) and the OS has been upgraded.

Even still, Apple still stutters out of the gate. The Apple Watch is just the latest to do so.
What Apple stutters out of the gate with is better than v2 of the competition. And they seem to make a big splash in the ocean.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trius

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The only thing I would be worried about is stability. Wouldn't want a smartwatch that crashes or freezes up. But I also don't care for having the fanciest UI, cause I like to get straight to the point when use a smartwatch.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Looks... like a $60 product.

to be honest, looks atleast as good as bulging apple watch... but anyway, the problem with these cheap watches is the battery life. it is probably terrible, and not only terrible but absolutely horrible...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The bezels are almost as bad the bezels on the apple watch. Still it has more features, interesting. At $60 it's pretty much throwaway. I always feel bad for people who decide the apple watch isn't worth it but are stuck with it, seems to be a lot of articles on the internet by regretful bloggers. I'd hate to be *that* guy who spent a couple thousand and realized their error after the return period.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I think you should return it. There is a AW2 coming in a few months.

I seriously doubt that---all rumors I've read/heard seem to indicate it'll be well into 2016 at the earliest before we see new AW hardware.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I am not sure. I am not sure the yearly update cycle will work for wearables.
This guy shares my opinion too.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/03/opinion-apple-watch-refresh-timing/

Wait, I guess I'm confused...you think a year is too long between upgrades?

I understand what that article's author is stating but I think he's putting too much emphasis on the exceptions to Apple's release schedule (iPad 4 and iPhone 4) rather than the annual cycle that's existed for every other device.

I can't see Apple releasing revised watch hardware this year--they are just starting to roll out to additional countries and just made the watch available for pickup in stores. In the next few months we already have new versions of iOS, OS X and watchOS (with its native apps), as well as a new iPhone and new iPads, including the all but confirmed iPad Pro. That's a pretty congested slate. I've listened to a few podcasts where individuals close to Apple suggest the Apple Watch hardware revisions are more likely to mirror MacBooks than iPhones/iPads.

Of course only time will tell but I'd wager we don't see Apple Watch 2 until next Spring, if not later.

joero24

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
There are a lot of good devices out there besides the Apple Watch. I got the Dreamband. It's made by Dreamcanyon and I'm loving it so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.