I shutdown my iMac, my iMac restarts itself a day or two later.....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JRM60, Jan 1, 2010.

1. JRM60 macrumors newbie

New owner of iMac 24" 2.8 since last March. Just recently I have noticed that when I take off for a few days, I shutdown the iMac and when I return home a few days later and hit the power button the iMac is already on in sleep mode. The only change I have made recently was to add Time Machine on a Guardian Maximus 1TB raid drive, but I usually power off that drive when I leave.

I've checked and searched here and in the Apple discussions with no luck. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jetworkr macrumors newbie

Hi-- First off--HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I did a google search re: your dad's issue--(imac turns itself on) and it led me back to this link.

Make sure he doesn't have 'Start up or wake' checked in System Preferences-- Energy Saver-- Options-- Schedule.

There's also talk about 'EyeTV' preferences causing this--does he have EyeTV installed?

Jim

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Assuming you don't have the computer accidentally set to automatically wake at a given time, like jetworkr said, another possibility is "Start up automatically after a power failure" (located in the same pref pane).

That does what it says--if the power goes out, the computer will turn itself back on once power is restored. Usually used for "always on" computers like servers. Now, in the event the computer was already turned off, it will still turn itself on if the power goes out--it doesn't just return to the same state.

So, there's at least a chance that if the power in your area is glitchy that a brief power flicker or outage could have caused the computer to think it lost power and thus turn back on.

If the checkbox on this setting is off, though, then it's something else.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Here's a solution that will work for you - 100% guaranteed.

Buy yourself a decent power strip.

Plug the iMac and any related peripherals into the power strip.

When you're going to be gone a few days, power everything down, then reach down and flip the power strip to OFF.

The iMac WILL stay off until you return!

5. JRM60 thread starter macrumors newbie

Happy New Years to all and thanks for the replies......

Actually it was my computer, not my dad's - turns out someone had the wake up/start box checked. Don't know who changed it, no one here will fess up!

Thanks for the help,

Jim

6. jetworkr macrumors newbie

Oops--my bad. The thread I found related to your problem had a guy describing a problem with his dad's mac...

Sorry,
    Jim