I signed up for and returned an iPhone recently... Question about repurchasing one

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CaliJessica87, Nov 12, 2009.

1. CaliJessica87 macrumors newbie

I'll try to keep this short.

I added a new line to my existing AT&T account, I bought an iPhone with it. Wanted to give the iPhone a try. I liked the iPhone :) but after a few days I returned it because my friends told me to wait for the new iPhone in 2010.

Cancelled the iPhone line and got my refund, this was within the 30 day trial period so I don't have to pay an ETF. Just to make that clear. :)

A week later I'm missing the iPhone and miss having it... I decided I don't want to wait till the next iPhone comes out, there will always be a "new iPhone", it's pointless to wait and wait.

My question is... If I go back to an Apple Store and try to open a new line (YET AGAIN) with an iPhone, will they see that I recenetly opened & cancelled one just a week ago, and tell me "Sorry, no"??? I may be paranoid but I'm thinking they will tell me I need to wait or something. I think it kinda looks bad on my part... Am I being paranoid, will they care?

Thanks

2. Acronym macrumors 68000

i dont think they will care, as far as apple is concerned your buying an iphone which is good enough for them.

if they ask tell them you want the phone after all (missed all those great features and what not :) )

3. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

Go to Best Buy this time. They won't know that you've recently added and canceled a line. They can't see that kind of information.

4. XciteMe macrumors 6502

^ Why would that be ANY different than doing it through Apple? Both Apple and BB have to verify the new line through... you guessed it... AT&T. :rolleyes:

5. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

Actually, it's all automated. How do I know? I work at Best Buy Mobile. We don't call AT&T to verify anything. It just adds a new line and the customer is on their way. So go roll your eyes elsewhere.

6. XciteMe macrumors 6502

OK didn't mean to be rude... But what, do you expect Apple Stores also don't do the same thing? I doubt they have a "record" of canceled lines, they just want your $$$ for their product. LOL

7. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

When we have to return an iPhone, we lose over $200. Now, I'm sure Apple doesn't lose that much money (if any at all) if that happens but I'm sure they don't like it when it does happen. From the story, it seems like he purchased the original at the Apple store. You are correct in assuming that they probably can't see where he activated a line recently and canceled. However, they probably show in their sales records that he has recently bought and returned. Hell, he might run into the same salesperson. I was just stating he could go elsewhere where they don't check into those type of things (like Best Buy) and it would be smooth. Plus, I'm plugging the company I work for. It's win win for me, haha.

...and I was joking around about the rolling of the eyes just like you. Hope you didn't take it any other way and I apologize if so.

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

What exactly did your friend say? Wait 9 months until next July for the new iPhone?

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I am fairly certain you can go and have the line you cancelled reinstated. I was talking to AT&T at one point in time and they told me that after you cancel a line you have something like 30 days to reinstate it. It's worth asking at the very least.

10. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I know this is exactly what I was thinking. If you seriously are going to listen to someone who may of heard some "rumor" about something that has not even been announced you will get no where. If you keep waiting for the next iPhone you are going to end up like people who say they will start working out next week and when next week comes they extend it out another week and again and again. It's completely rediculous to wait over half a year for the next generation to come out. If it was only 2 or 3 months away it would be reasonable but 6+ is just rediculous.

Point of the story: op, just get a 3gs and you will be happy.

11. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Maybe you could find a used iPhone on Craigslist and activate it on your existing AT&T phone line. Then in July, if a new model is introduced, you might be entitled to upgrade to the new model your current phone line. Sell the old iPhone on Craigslist.

Win-win.