I smell voip!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by swruler9284, Sep 9, 2008.

1. swruler9284 macrumors newbie

With the addition of speakers and a mic in the headphones, the ipod touch should now be capable of internet phone calls.

Of course, whether apple will allow something like that in the app store is the key factor. I would guess not, but you never know.

what do you guys think?

2. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Should "not" or should "now"? Kind of an important to the meaning of your post.

Besides, I still haven't seen confirmation that the "Earphones with Remote and Mic" are included in the box with the iPod touch, as I asked about in http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=559492, so I'm skeptical that the microphones will be all that widespread.

That said, I'd be very interesting in a VOIP app if everything lines up right.

3. ricartedor macrumors member

It doesn't matter how farspread the mic is, as long as its an option, then the touch can do the same VOIP that an iPhone could do if it ever comes about.

4. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i want voip so bad but it sucks that the microphone doesn't work with the 1st generation ipod touches.

5. tetsuotrunks macrumors newbie

Small Problem

My understanding is that even IF the headphones with the mic are included with the iPod Touch, it doesn't mean at all that VOIP would be possible. Why you ask? Simple; for the same reason the original iPod Touch couldn't be used for VOIP. Just because the headphones use a microphone doesn't mean the device is set up to receive input signals from it. On a standard set of headphones, there are 2 'rings' on the metal connector, for the left and right earbud. On ones with a microphone, like say those that come with the iPhone, there is a third 'ring' for the mic. There are, obviously, corresponding rings INSIDE the headphone jack of the device being used. 2 on the iPod Touch and 3 on the iPhone. So, even if the headphones with mic for iPod Touch come with three rings (as they almost certainly will), the rings only work if the device the plug is inserted to has corresponding rings. So its possible, I'd say likely if not definite, that the iPod Touch's headphone jack will only contain the two rings for output (again) and NOT the one for mic input. In which case, there'd still be no way to enter audio and thus, its not a very effective phone if you can listen but not talk. Of course, having not held a new iPod Touch or these new headphones myself, this is all guesswork, but that's just my 2 cents. To be honest, even as an iPhone user, I'd be glad to see VOIP on the touch, but I really don't see it happening. If we've thought of it, that means Apple probably has too.

6. redking31591 macrumors 6502

the headphones with the mic are an extra 30 bucks. it ships with the regular headphones

7. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

isnt there a voip app already out and I think there is a mic too or atleast its being worked on

8. tetsuotrunks macrumors newbie

The Touchmods team developed a mic that works through the 30 PIN connector. I can see that working here as well as it would on a first gen iPod Touch, but these posters seemed to be under the impression that it would be possible to use those headphones with the mic as a device for VOIP use.

9. tetsuotrunks macrumors newbie

An important distinction as well; I forgot to mention it. Thanks for doing so.