I sold my iPhone 4s should I unregister it??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Sep 26, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

It is in my Apple support profile that I own it, since I sold it should I unregister it? If I do that would the new owner then be able to register it for himself?

Also if I do that would this buyer still be eligible for warranty and would the unlock I had done with ATT stand?

I don't want to mess up any of this so I may just leave it alone just curious about it since ive seen it recommended before when selling your phone.

2. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Support profile unregistering just severs the association between that phone and you (your apple id)....thats all, itll prevent any iMessage or facetime bugs being associated with that phone even after a full wipe.

When i sell my 4S in 2 weeks, my steps will be.

1. Deactivate iMessage on Phone.
    2. Full wipe.
    3. Remove phone from support profile.
    4. Remove SIM

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Just looked at my product list. Wow, didn't realize how much computers, phones and iPods I purchased. Even though I guess I didn't register some as a bit is missing.

iPod (10 GB with Dock Connector)

Pretty sure that's my first ever mac iTem.

4. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for your response, so you're positive it has nothing to do with warranty if a problem arises with this buyer as in him getting denied warranty service? Or the unlock not being honored by me doing this since my account was required for ATT to do it?

5. fins831 macrumors 6502a

The warranty is Applecare? Cause that has to be transferred anyway, and the original iPhone warranty is only for 1 year i do believe, maybe even shorter.

The unlock thing has nothing to do with the support profile, ATT unlocks it, its unlocked via IMEI number or serial.

6. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

No, not Applecare simply the 1-year warranty I'm talking about got my 4s on launch so he has warranty until mid November. I never even asked but the warranty will be honored for this buyer even though he's not the original owner correct? I do believe its always been this way.

Anyway I'll probably go right ahead and unregister it then since you guys say everything should be good.

7. fins831 macrumors 6502a