"I Sold My iPhone"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sheeko, Jun 10, 2009.

1. sheeko macrumors newbie

I sold my iPhone today. Wasn't all that sad, just disappointed.

There was so much hope in my hands when I held it. But now I'm just disappointed.

It was Unix in a cool sleek package. As if I'd donned a sleek pair of new sun glasses. This is what geeks like me dream of. Now I'm simply disappointed.

I have fond memories of the first time I jailbroke it. Installed NMap, SSH and Metasploit. Shelling into its green screen goodness was oh so comforting. Its use of apt-get never ceasing to amaze. But now I'm utterly disappointed.

At first, every time I saw another iPhone user, I felt a kinship to him or her. Until I saw the Yo-Yo punk with the iPhone who berated his girlfriend on the subway. The stout, past middle-aged businessman trying to hang on to his youth. The teeny bopper whose every word smacked of bubble gum twang. I no longer felt a kinship and now I'm both indifferent and disappointed.

I really tried to love it -- and I came real close, but I had to let go. You see, something came in between me and my iPhone's budding romance. The evil big brother. Now I'm angry and disappointed.

Big Brother tore us apart. For all the goodness the iPhone represented, big brother countered with its advertising lies. Its poor, unreliable and sometimes non-existent service and its inept customer reps. I felt imprisoned not empowered by big brother's more bars in more places, always mindful of their unconstitutional and devilish pact with the NSA. Now I'm paranoid and disappointed.

Yesterday I canceled my service after 30 dropped calls in one day. My iPhone is really an ipod that only occasionally works as a phone. Never failing to fail me when I need it most. Now I'm frustrated and disappointed.

I'm happy to be rid of the cancer. Tomorrow, I'll be happily disappointed with Verizon.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

3. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Wow that was cool.

Wow that was really good, I can't be sure what big brother is, AT&T? If so, why not keep it and switch to T-Mobile or some other service provider?

Nicely Said

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yeah how much you get for it? Mine is on eBay right now with a current bid of $365 and 1 day left. Problem is...I keep getting out of country bidders. Its a pain, nobody reads the listing, they just bid on it. I had to write on my listing 3 times that I dont will not ship over seas.

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Amen, my Iphone ONLY fails hard when I need it the most. However, I'm an idiot and am getting a 3GS. I just like the Ipod aspect of it too much, and the fact that I can make pretty reliable phone calls. However the GPS has left me pulling over more than a few times.

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Rarely have I read such a load of painfully gooey, overly dramatic, and totally inappropriate hyperbolic geek puffery.

Cancer? Seriously?

7. bigchief macrumors 6502a

So you joined today just to print this Bull****. I don't believe a word of it.

8. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

whats AT&Ts "unconstitutional pact" with the NSA?

9. sheeko thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a poem. t is fact based and yes it is a bit dramatic. It expresses my frustration about all the dropped calls and AT&T's stupidity.

I think it is perfectly OK to be critical and I thought this was a unique waying of expressing myself.

Sorry you didn't like it.

10. Fauxshow macrumors newbie

11. Merkie macrumors 68020

AT&T's GSM-network must really suck. Dropped calls are sooo 1999, unless you're in the USA.

12. sheeko thread starter macrumors newbie

13. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Yah i had to list my dads twice because of bs bids. I think in settings you can tell it to not allow out of US bidders, and also have a certain rep of 6 or more etc.. Makes it a lot less painful when someone backs out or doesnt respond who didnt read you dont want them to bid hehe.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Alrighty then

I got news for you, its a phone, not some fraternity or special cult. Its a phone to call people, surf the web and the play the occasional game

15. sheeko thread starter macrumors newbie

I sold it to a friend for a hundred bucks. I just wanted to get rid of it. I am anxious to see the Palm Pre. I am a fan of apple and I think the phone itself wasn't so bad, but my experience with AT&T was frustrating and I really rely on my phone for business.

I am hoping the Pre performs.

16. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I plan to upgrade my current 3G to 3.0 on Wednesday then jailbreak it and sell it on the 19th (or that weekend) off Craigslist and use that money toward buying the full 3GS. It'll cost a little more now but I won't be locked into a contract next year if Apple goes to Verizon or a 4.0 comes out.

17. sheeko thread starter macrumors newbie

I would be very interested in seeing the iPhone on vzw. I think they would have to create a new model for Verizon given the difference between GSM and CDMA though.

IPhone on Verizon would make things interesting.

18. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Uhuh . . . I don't want to be rude but part of the reason you're disappointed in your mobile phone is because you didn't like the strangers you saw with the same phone? Does that not strike you as a little silly?

The signal thing sounds horrendous. My iPhone never drops calls so, yours could be broken or AT&T completely sucks in your area.

19. sheeko thread starter macrumors newbie

Please appreciate that I took poetic license in some portions of the poem. I was not disappointed in the phone because of the people, but the service. I find AT&T unusable in my area. I did however use my iPhone in California and found my experience to be very different. Also, in comparison tests (such as JD Power) with regard to service, AT&T always ranks at or near the bottom.

20. Shaan macrumors member

I plan on doing exactly what you're doing. Do you think upgrading to 3.0 and jailbreaking is the best way to get the most money for my 3G 16GB? Or should I just eBay it as 2.2.1?

21. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Are we still talking about a phone? Because you would think the OP was dating the phone.

22. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Do it now.

You may get a little more money if you sell it before the 3.0 comes out, with the 3.0. Search Engadget for something like bit torrent iPhone 3.0, and you should be able to find the 3.0 by searching the web for the discription Engadget gave you. It's a really easy and clean install, I did it, works great.

Be sure you can jailbreak it, because I did a quick search and it looks like Apple "fixed" it. At least in iTunes 8.2.

Now about the poem, I thought it was great, it was a poem, most of you apparently expected some sort of cool story. I think it was a great poem. I don't really know how to say it, but most of you do not seem to get it. Sorry.

23. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This was your problem. You thought that the iPhone was going to place you in some special, exclusive club. No. It's a piece of technological hardware, made in China by underpaid workers, that a corporation sold to you solely because you had the cash. Were you one of those who were upset when it became available at WalMart? As for age, I don't really think the iPhone targets any specific age group. I've seen teenagers and grandparents with them and none of them looked out-of-place.

24. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

I highly doubt you had 30 dropped calls in one day. i've had maybe 2 in a year.

25. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Geeze, the OP was just having a little fun with his "I got rid of my iPhone today" story. Don't know why some people are jumping on him.

If you're getting poor service with a carrier, you've got to try another.