I solved the puzzle of the iPhone 6 camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Sep 30, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I couldn't figure out a few things about the iPhone 6

- why the details were so smudgey/smeared, like they used noise reduction too much, especially in day light when there shouldn't be much noise at all.

- why both the highlights and shadows in the pictures are so well exposed. Usually you either have a detailed blue sky and dark shadows, or things in shadow like trees/bushes are detailed and bright while the sky is blownout and white. But in the iPhone 6 both are clear and colorful and bright.

SO what Apple is doing is exposing for the highlights, like the sky, so you get a nice clear blue sky with detail. This would usually make the shadowed areas dark and black but what you can usually do manually is bring up the shadow details and make them bright and colorful again at the expense of noise. This is what Apple is doing and why they are using noise reduction in bright daylight.

I'm starting to actually like this so I suppose it's up to your taste.

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

That would make sense, eager to see other's opinions as well. I for one, am not a fan of it.

3. Gmcube macrumors regular

Sounds about right. My T3i has something called highlight priority which essentially does the same thing. But the results are not always ideal. Which is why I wish they would just let me make those adjustments myself.

4. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You should use raw with your T3i muuuch better

5. dajazz macrumors member

You can turn highlight priority off in the menu, I never use it, I'll process the RAW file myself so I don't have to worry about the camera interferring with my image.

----------

Do you have HDR on or off?

6. Gmcube macrumors regular

I do. Almost exclusively.

Was referring to the iphone with that part. With the T3i I only had it on for a few mins to experiment.

7. dajazz macrumors member

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification :)

8. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Auto but not liking the HDR pics