I spent like $130 on cases today

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Vikinguy, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

lol. First I bought the silicone which is very nice. But pointless for watching video in bed or even in a chair. So I went ahead and bought the smart cover. I got the navy blue and it looks great but cotdog.

Anyone else go with both?

2. Wando64 macrumors 6502

I did.
    They are beautifully crafted, but the price truly sucks.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I did the same for my 12.9. Plus I ordered the Smart Keyboard. If you buy all cases, keyboard, and pencil it is $400 extra. But I get use out of them it seems. Well not pencil. I haven't ordered one of those yet but I have used one at work.

4. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

Ya i got all 3 too, smart keyboard, back cover and pencil for my 12.9. Its an expensive pill to swallow but it does look and feel great. $80 for that back cover though has to be up there in the most outrageously priced apple products of all time list.

5. stringbeanie macrumors 6502

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

No. Check out how many they charge for Apple Watch bands.
    Link -
    http://www.apple.com/shop/watch/bands

7. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I bought the red silicone case and Smart Cover. While ridiculously overpriced, the end product feels and looks great. I guess if you want nice things you'll have to foot the premium. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. gatorknight904 macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

I bought the ridiculous over priced charcoal gray apple silicon case to match the smart keyboard for the 9.7. $236 upper for an already $811 ipad = $1047 plus another $100 for the pencil.

My total for this adventure is $1147 for the 128GB wifi silver + accessories.

When I total it all up it begs the question... Is this iPad kit worth the price....? It does nothing my iPhone 6s ($399) can't do outside of the larger screen & apple pencil support. Same operating system & apps. Multitasking on the 9.7 screen is a challenge. Something has to give. I will most likely return the silicon case & pencil.

I love the pencil but I just wont use it enough to justify $100. I see open boxes are already at $85 at best buy so I may re-buy when it drops a little lower. Also, it is really irritating that there is no easy way to store it when traveling. Right now I have a $236 silicon case & keyboard inside a $29 Herschel Sleeve just so I can transport the pencil. Absolutely stupid.

The silicone case feels nice but there is no way on earth to justify $70 for the material. When the resale market hits $40-$50 I may consider buying.... I thinking my final configuration will most likely be iPad (no back case) & keyboard inside the sleeve.

Also, I cant help but think...should I have just bought the Air 2 lol :(

9. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

The markup on these Silicone iPad cases must be like 3,000 percent. I absolutely like my Red case and Smart Cover, but at $130.00 it's a tough pill to swallow. I guess if you want nice things one has to foot the premium price.

10. gatorknight904 macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

I can't deny that it is nice.

I get the price for the keyboard. However, the material they used is cheaper than most used on other brand's keyboards. There are high end keyboards out there upwards of $100 but they have a larger footprint. For example the clam case.

The silicon case....man I am just at a loss for words haha.

11. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Has anybody seen or heard about a good silicone case that's extremely similar to the silicone iPad she'll/case but that perhaps covers all four sides?

I really can't see myself using the smart connector for anything and would like to have just a silicone back the covers all four sides of the iPad Pro 9.7

I completely love the official Apple version but it totally leaves one whole side exposed (for the obvious reason of connecting the keyboard or smart cover which I don't want)

12. 617aircav Suspended

I'm confused. Why did you spend all that money if it was too expensive?

13. gatorknight904 macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

To see if they were worth the money so I could write the post you quoted.

Using for 5 mins in the apple store doesn't give you enough time to truly test a product.

14. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I have the iPad 128, the keyboard and the pencil. I will put a matte skin on the back when they come out and be very careful in the meantime. I don't want the back scratched up but I also want to keep the iPad lightweight and slim. I have a super slim clear Luvvitt TPU case for my iPhone and I would certainly get one similar for the back. However, the new one that they designed looks bulkier that I would prefer. This will be my work mode.

For leisure at home, watching movies or surfing the Internet in a recliner or in bed, the keyboard cover is a little too much. But then I wouldn't want an Apple cover due to all the claims that it hangs over the bare iPad and works so much better with the back case. I guess, I'll just have to use the iPad bare and prop it up.

I do like the keyboard cover though - the typing is really pretty good. I'm still getting used to it as my old Logitech has an additional row with function keys. And of course the old keyboard doesn't click in with the new iPad.

15. stringbeanie macrumors 6502

I just bought this frosted back cover to use exactly like you are (with the keyboard cover). I purchased the 12.9 inch version and it is excellent.
    http://www.amazon.com/iPad-Pro-9-7-...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

It comes in smoke and clear.

16. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I really recommend regular Smart Cover in addition to the keyboard for when you want to cut down size and weight.

17. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Thanks for the recommendation. This is why I love and hate MacRumors. You hear of so many great options and that's also why it is so bad - all the options.

18. wetcanvas macrumors regular

I wanted a smart case not Smart Cover but they got rid of them for the new iPad pros. Now you have to spend twice as much buying a front and back. I got suckered into the silicon back with smart over front. I urge others to not make the mistake I did and do this but instead go through Amazon and get a third party case for half the cost. Spending over 120 dollars just to cover the whole thing is ludicrous.

19. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I agree. I also bought the red combo and it's just too overpriced. I still have 13 days to return it but....man this case and cover looks and feels great! Fits perfectly.

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I agree. It's expensive but they feel like they are a part of the iPad.

21. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Hard to take your advice to heart since you still have the opportunity to return yours and follow your own advice but it doesn't sound like you plan to do so. I think the Apple case is just that good that my mind says it's not worth the price but my hands don't want to give it up.

22. tampageek macrumors 6502

tampageek

That's how they suck you in for big money for a piece of rubber....those bastards make it fit perfectly.:mad: