I spilled an iced latte directly into my macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by goldenlotus, May 16, 2010.

1. goldenlotus macrumors regular

And it's fine! The keyboard was literally a puddle of sticky sweet coffee... and it appears to be ok. How is this even possible? What is under the keyboard?

2. gr3chan macrumors newbie

gr3chan

The macbooks have quite a few layers of plastic on top of an lightweight metal housing. Although usually if liquid is spilled into the keyboard, it eventually ends up into the logic board if left right side up. If this just happened, I would suggest turning it off, and setting the computer upside down keys down. Let the display hang off the edge of a table or something and let it sit until you know its all dry. The liquid can still make its way down through those layers and get on to the board. Once its all dry, I highly doubt all your keys will work. The macbook keyboard is a part of the topcase, so you will need the whole topcase replaced if that is the case. Good Luck...Seems like you already have that on your side though ;)

3. moose66 macrumors newbie

i suggest not turning it on for a day or less...due to past similar experiences,
    i spilled water on my keyboard,twice, on one and one on another they turned out well when i turned it on, but after they wouldn't turn on anymore lol:eek:

it turns out it be best if you dont turn it on for a day to let the water dry up...

4. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    you'd be totally screwed if it was hot!
    iced is nice.

*** take it to the Mac shop very soon *** for a tech to de-gunk it before permanent damage is done.
    and no more food or drink near the computer kiddies - how many times we gotta tell you!!!!??!!!!!! :D

5. miicah macrumors regular

If worst comes to worst you can buy a new keyboard really easily.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Actually, if worst comes to worst, he'll be in the market for a new Macbook.

7. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

That's wicked.. I spilt coke over my unibody macbook's keyboard and promptly rendered it beyond repair, pretty much (caramelised the logic board, for one). Count yourself lucky. :cool: