I spilled coffee on my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoziw, Jun 28, 2011.

1. zoziw macrumors member

zoziw

It was just a splash and it has been working fine since with one exception; the trackpad became as hard a a rock for about 3 days and couldn't be pushed down.

After about three days it could be pushed down again, but it does not sense that it is being pushed down and does nothing.

Everything else about the MBP, including the trackpad, is fine and I can still tap the trackpad and it works...it just doesn't work when you push the track pad down.

I plan to take it to an Apple Store after I get back from vacation to have this fixed and was wondering if anyone else had ever done something similar and what it cost to have Apple fix it?

I don't have Applecare and plan to tell them the truth about what happened.

2. skier777 macrumors 6502

MIght just need to be cleaned. How old is your computer. If its still within the 1year window to buy apple care, tell them that you are planning on buying it, they become much friendlier etc. when they know that you will soon be buying the extended plan.

3. zoziw thread starter macrumors member

zoziw

Thanks for the reply...it is a 2009 so I am out of the window...I have bought the MBP, two iPads and an iPod Touch from that location if that would hold any weight.

4. skier777 macrumors 6502

You could mention that but doubt it will help. Im pretty sure that you will have to pay for this out of pocket, or more likely, not have it repaired once you see the estimate.

But try, go in, be pleasant and smile, explain what happened and be honest, it worked for me, so best of luck.

5. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

If the cost is too much just pick up a magic track pad, love mine and at $69 it will be a cheap fix.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

yeah, just be straight up with them and hope for the best. i wouldn't go in there making excuses or whatnot, accidental damage isn't covered after all, so they would be doing you a favor by fixing it free of charge. if they quote you a high price and you do not figure it is worth that, respectfully decline and seek other alternatives to your trackpad.

good luck.

7. islanders macrumors 6502