Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rei87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
USA
My iPad 2 is naked because I am still waiting on the Switcheasy Camvas, but I was eating breakfast and my ipad 2 was propped up in front of me, resting against the utensils holder and the place mat, so when it slipped I was startled and tea sloshes out of my cup and fell on the iPad :(

I worked fast tho, I grabbed a bunch of napkins and wiped the tea of the screen, then I carefully wiped the whole iPad, careful not to tilt so as to prevent tea from going in any of the ports.

I don't think anything is wtong with my iPad, the screen is just as responsive, the speakers still work, the screen looks the same. Should I be worried for anything happening in the future though?

tkadrum

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
My iPad 2 is naked because I am still waiting on the Switcheasy Camvas, but I was eating breakfast and my ipad 2 was propped up in front of me, resting against the utensils holder and the place mat, so when it slipped I was startled and tea sloshes out of my cup and fell on the iPad :(

I worked fast tho, I grabbed a bunch of napkins and wiped the tea of the screen, then I carefully wiped the whole iPad, careful not to tilt so as to prevent tea from going in any of the ports.

I don't think anything is wtong with my iPad, the screen is just as responsive, the speakers still work, the screen looks the same. Should I be worried for anything happening in the future though?

my ipad is a coffee drinker. Was it black tea? Jasmine? Or Earl Grey?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

That's kind of a meaningless question. You spilled something on it, so that's not good... but if it didn't get inside then you'll be fine. In all likelihood you won't be able to localize a problem to "tea" damage anyawys.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
If the iPad is well sealed with glue and you wiped it off quickly, I don't think there should be a problem. Any problem would probably be apparent immediately after turning on.

I have ruined so many keyboards with spilled coffee, I keep a silicone skin on my keyboard now.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006

I would leave it off for a while to make sure. If you had screen and back protection I would suggest maybe putting it in a bag with rice.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
As long as it didn't get inside the iPad, it should be OK. The only thing I can think of that could've possibly went wrong is that the oleophobic coating could've been damaged somehow.

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
No better way to ruin electronics then by spilling liquids on them, and no better way to ruin a good meal than by electronic distractions. Put the iToys away when you eat.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Throw it in a bag of white rice and seal it overnight just in case.

+1

If you are not sure if it got inside it the white rice will at least soak up the moisture. Make sure to turn in all the way off as well when doing that.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
No better way to ruin electronics then by spilling liquids on them, and no better way to ruin a good meal than by electronic distractions. Put the iToys away when you eat.

Ruining an iToy while eating is much better than ruining a Mac while eating. I'm planning on getting an iPad so that I don't have worry about ruining my MacBook Pro while eating breakfast--gotta have something to read while eating, and I already cancelled my local newspaper subscription because it was becoming too expensive for as thin as it is and the website has all of the local news on it. :apple:

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA

Very true.. and something to take note too. Food is great.. just not for electronics. I should know.. I had tea spilt (not my tea) on my MBP earlier this year.. forcing me to buy my 2011 MBP earlier that what I wanted. Which wasn't a bad thing.. except for not getting a free iPod.

+1

If you are not sure if it got inside it the white rice will at least soak up the moisture. Make sure to turn in all the way off as well when doing that.

+1! Never can be too safe..

Last edited:

wacomme

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Very true.. and something to take note too. Food is great.. just not for electronics. I should know.. I had tea spilt (not my tea) on my MBP earlier this year.. forcing me to buy my 2011 MBP earlier that what I wanted. Which wasn't a bad thing.. except for not getting a free iPod.

+1! Never can be too safe..

You can be too safe. Accidents happen.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Rice will soak up moisture, but since he spilled tea on it, if the tea got inside wouldn't it still stain and damage the internals? Just wondering.

rei87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
USA
I'm pretty sure no tea (black, btw) got inside because it fell in the middle of the screen and I wiped it off in less than 5 seconds, and my earphones were plugged into the headphone jack, so that blocked it to I guess, even though when I was cleaning it, the teawanst too close to the headphone jack.

Just in case, I bought the only iPad 2 case they had available at The Best Buy Mobile, coz I have butter fingers and the iPad has already slipped off my bed twice.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Did you spill it just on the screen? If so, chances are it's not a big deal. The only time you'll really have a problem with liquid damage is when it gets in any of the open ports. The iPad is sealed pretty tight, so I don't think that much liquid would go inside the panel, past the glass. I guess it all depends on where you spilled it, but if it's working fine, I wouldn't really worry about it. Usually with liquid damage, you can tell right away, if not within the next day or two. Good luck :) and put a case on that thing!

Janet1

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
I'm pretty sure no tea (black, btw) got inside because it fell in the middle of the screen and I wiped it off in less than 5 seconds, and my earphones were plugged into the headphone jack, so that blocked it to I guess, even though when I was cleaning it, the teawanst too close to the headphone jack.

Just in case, I bought the only iPad 2 case they had available at The Best Buy Mobile, coz I have butter fingers and the iPad has already slipped off my bed twice.

Those "smart covers" don't really offer much, if any, protection.

I put my mom's and nephew's iPads inside book-type protective covers that are fairly well padded and have a built-in screen protector. The Frye's Electronics store here has a wide variety of different types of iPad covers.

You ever try to replace the screen in an ipod touch? Those puppies (screens) are glued to the frame so thick and tight, that to get the old screen off, I have to use a hair dryer to heat and melt that glue enough to pry the screen off the frame. It's well-sealed, and not that easy for fluids to penetrate.

I've had to replace 2 ipod touch screens now for my nephew and one of those times he did get water inside his ipod touch, but that was only because he dropped it in a puddle before running it over with his skateboard. He's 8 years old, go figure.

It was completely dead after that, and even the rice trick didn't bring it back, but I left it on an open window sill to air and dry out, and after a month, it turned right back on, and after replacing the shattered screen, it worked just fine.

I've done the same with cell phones. They may seem totally dead after dropping in water, but give them some time to dry out, and usually will come back to life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.