I Spilled Sprite On My Macbook Pro! Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PaulaS, May 17, 2009.

1. PaulaS macrumors newbie

So you know the Macbook with like the black keys? I kinda spilled Sprite on it, IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING IT AWAY FROM MY MAC.:mad: I already know that drinks/foods don't mix with computers but, the thing is... it happened. Now... since it's soooo unibody, they keys aren't... removable are they? I am really bad with these things. I tried to clean it up. The macbook itself is fine, just that my delete, return, and shift keys FEEL LIKE JELLY! :(

HELP PLEASE?

P.S: Yes, a clumsy person like me is not MacbookPro-worthy.

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Yes you are worthy of a MBP, it is only a machine man. Unfortunately from what i read in this forum you are right the keys are not removable and i am not sure if there is a way to fix other than going to apple a pay few hundred dollars or pounds (or where ever you are from)!

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

You need to not power on the MBP until has fully dried.

First, go to ifixit.com and read a guide about taking it apart. When you take the whole thing apart, you can actually take apart the keypad too. A lot of work, but it's not hard work. You just need to note and secure every single screw and part.

I have done this before. Was a long time ago with a Dell. I tried to start it, big mistake. Then, I took the whole thing apart, after reading an article about how the circuit board works. I took every part out, and I got into everything I could and dried fully. I used a hair dryer. Then, I waited a full week before turning it on. That is absolutely the key. Do not turn/keep it on if you have already.

The best way to ensure a working MBP is to completely disassemble and wait the whole week, even if you're positive it's dry.

Good luck!

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The keyboard is actually removable. iFixit.com has created their first look breakdown of the MBP unibody. If you go through the pictures you can get a sense of how to remove the keyboard. However it is quite involved as it seems like it will require complete dis-assembly of the MBP.

Macbook Pro 15" Unibody First Look

Edit: I would also get a jug of deionized water. Use this to rinse the keyboard and any other components that got soda on them. Soda is highly corrosive to electrical components. Hopefully it is unnecessary to mention that none of the components being rinsed should be hooked to any power source until dry.

5. leavingwave macrumors newbie

if disassembling and drying it doesn't work out.. you'll need a new top case with the keyboard since the keyboard is not sold separately.

6. youssefm macrumors 6502

Don't turn it on which is the first step. Second step, get deionized water and rinse it out, since that doesn't have electrolytes it doesnt conduct electricity, (soda has sugar and acid, which are corrosive) and then the third step, use a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and remove each key (try not to break them) and wipe them off.. wait a week and turn it on