I spilled vitamin water on my mac!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kelciee, Jul 1, 2008.

1. kelciee macrumors newbie

right now im using the vista i ahve in my house. i just got my mac a couple of weeks ago. and my friend spilled vitamin water on my mac! i quickly cleaned it up, the computer was still on, and then froze i turned it off and took out the battery ( which wasnt wet). I left it alone all night and then jsut a few minutes ago i tried turning it on and the opening logo of apple apeared but then it just stays there. with a little circle thing underneath it, like its loading or something. will it ever work? and is there anything else i should do?

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If you have spilled water on your MacBook/Pro keyboard then the chances are you have turned it back on too quickly. The liquid will have reached the logicboard probably...........

You need to leave it several days at least to dry out in a warm place - there are lots of threads on here about liquid spills........

3. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

As Logana as said... Never turn it on that quickly. Even though you let it sit all night, water can get into the smallest of nooks and crannys. Let it sit for days and days, in a warm environment. Also, you could use a hair dryer to try and blow the water around a little bit to hopefully free it out of small areas where it may be chilling in the logicboard.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Now it'll grow big and strong!*

*Results may vary. By vary we mean ruin your computer.

Should have been more careful.

5. G-Com macrumors regular

I was thinking the same thing. :eek:

Sue the friend.

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Me too!!!

Oh don't forget to kill your friend!!!:p

7. magid macrumors 6502

magid

+1 but make sure you sue him first and then kill him :D

8. bamaworks macrumors 6502

9. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

If you let it set for a couple of days and continue to run into the same problem, try loading tech tools to diagnose the problem.

10. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

If you look at the label on the bottle you will see that it's loaded with sugar ("sugar 13 grams"). I would hate to see what residue is left behind when the water evaporates :eek:

11. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

since you are virtually screwed as far as repairs, i'd go to an ifixit guide and open the whole thing up, take the top case off, harddrive out, leave the battery out etc.

The top case isn't too hard to get off, so i would start with that and then get some isopropyl alcohol (highest percent) and a cue tip and do some gentle cleaning becuase like people said, sugar is bad bad bad bad bad

Clean it, use a dryer (ON COOL SETTING) and blow on it a bit and then let it sit open upside down for another day or so, and put it back together and try it again.

You may want to pop the keys off and clean that too as they might get sticky if they aren't already.

be VERY gentle cleaning the contacts with alcohol, but do a thorough job.

Perhaps some compressed air as well as the hairdryer to push water out that might be hiding.

Try it again and see what happens a day or so after cleaning it out.

IF it works, tell your friend he is lucky, but if you have to take it in for repairs down the line, and they note water damage (colored contacts etc, alert this sometimes) and refuse to fix it for THAT reason, he should pay.

If it doesn't work... he should pay for a replacement - or the difference anyway. You can probably sell a water damaged macbook on ebay for 400+ depending... so he should pay for the replacement and then you can give him the water damaged one to sell. (minus your harddrive)

12. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Welllllsss. .. . if it turns on still, spins the "loading" dealio... under the Apple logo, everything seems to be working okay other than maybe a hard drive issue... or it could be the Airport or Bluetooth module or something not initializing causing the bootloader of OS/x to hang and wait for it.

Try booting with CMD(apple button) + V ... hold these keys after hitting the power button Before the apple logo pops up... it will bring you to a screen showing you everything the system is loading, the last line will tell you where it is hanging at and help you identify the issue.

that is... if it does not boot after you let it dry thoroughly :)

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My thoughts exactly. That's a nice machine that somebody broke :(

14. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

obviously too late, but the key thing when water is spilled on any electrical item is to turn it off straight away and remove the battery. then dont turn it back on for at least, imo better to be safe than sorry, a week. and is possible longer, maybe two weeks. try to take it apart as much as possible and leave on a table or something to dry out. the hairdryer on cool setting which has been mentioned is also a good idea especially when youve taken it apart. if you cant take it apart, leave it open, and upside down. that way any set water may come out through the keyboard.

i know its tempting to try to turn it back on, but that just means your adding an electrical current to the mix, which definitely doesn't like water.

i'd suggest not turn it on again for a while.