iPad I spilled water inside my Lightning port what to do

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Mar 6, 2014.

  1. bobright macrumors 601

    Jun 29, 2010
    I had my iPad in one hand and a water bottle in the other hand without a cap. I was stepping into the car fumbled the iPad tried to catch it and you know what happened next. It wasn't a whole lot but a bit poured in before I caught it. It's working fine the screen should I shut it off? Or put the bottom inside a bowl of rice?

    I am scared to charge it. :mad:
  2. Rodster macrumors 68040

    May 15, 2007
    Turn off the iPad. Prop it up vertically so the lightning port is facing down. Let it sit like that for a coup,e hours. Take a hair dryer with cool air on low power and blow that into the lightning port. It should be fine.
  3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030


    Jun 12, 2011
    Worst comes to worst, you just pay the OOW replacement cost for the iPad Air. Try the rice or silica gel method first. Turn it off completely, definitely, and let it dry out. As usual, YMMV.
  4. Macman45 macrumors G5


    Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    Your enemy here is corrosion, which won't manifest itself right away, as suggested dry it out as much as possible and cross fingers that you don't have problems down the road.
  5. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

    Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks guys will do, and yea good point hopefully this doesn't happen. Btw does anybody know if the water sensor is down there by any chance? Just my luck
  6. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 14, 2013
    If you Google iPad Air lightning jack, you'll see that it seems not to be a direct opening into the device. Look at iphone4parts.com picture of the part itself, which was in the second row of images on my computer. I'd do the hair dryer thing for a few minutes, and give it a couple hours to evaporate. It's probably evaporated already....

Share This Page