I spilled water on the keyboard, now some issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjk, Feb 22, 2010.

1. pjk macrumors member

Last night I accidently spilled from water on my macbook pro keyboard. It wasn't a huge amount, but it was more than a few drops. I immediately took a towel and soaked up what I could.

Today, I've noticed that pages keep scrolling up at random times, as if my up arrow was constantly pushed. It happens randomly. I am thinking it is related to this, since it just started, but I am not positive.

Any ideas on resolving this or troubleshooting it?

Thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Water damage means you're SOL. Apple will not cover you with their warranty so you'll have to cough up to get it repaired.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You should not have turned it back on and allowed it to dry out properly.

A forum search would have revealed that and the fact that you are the 1,357th person to start a water damage thread.

4. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I would say leave it for the time being and see if the problem persists, sometimes you just have to wait for it to completely dry up/evaporate and then it'll function normally again. Just hope that it didn't significatnyl damage the logic board because if it did, you're looking at approx. $1000 of repairs which Apple will not cover

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The 'rule of thumb' when a piece of electronic equipments gets wet is to stop using immediately, turn it off and not turn it back on until you are satisfied that it is completely dry. If you do then you risk damaging the internals.

Sorry to bring bad news but like snaky69 said basically you are on your own as the new Apple products all have water sensors in them, thus if they have been tripped your warranty does not cover the damage.

6. 7031 macrumors 6502

Yeah, lesson learned: don't drink near your MacBook. Leave it to dry, see if that fixes it.

Otherwise, hopefully it's just the keyboard that's damaged, in which case you just need to replace the top case (assuming this is possible on unibodies). Anyone want to chime in?

And yeah, your warranty is void now.

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Let it dry overnight, near a heat source. May fix itself.

Otherwise may need a new keyboard.

Which model?

8. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

i spilled coffee on my mbp and thought everything was fine...all the keys were working etc..

..until i turned on the backlit keys....half of the keyboard was dimmer than the other half.
    on top of that the option key stopped working.

tried to get apple to repair it but it would've cost 800+, decided to get it repaired at MyService for 300.

Long story short keep liquids away from your laptop.