I started to squeeze, then pulled the trigger....

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mastershredder, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Mastershredder macrumors member

I just processed my order for a dual 2.8 octo mac pro with a GeForce 8800GT! I've been building PC's since I was about 14 years old so getting a Mac is definitely a huge change for me. I've been dabbling a little here and there, but a few months ago, I got a stable X11 environment set up and i've been loving OS X ever since.

Now comes the waiting game :p

2. GotPro macrumors 6502

Congrats... you will love it.

I come from a background (IT) of building my own boxes too... although I've always had both a Mac and PC at the house... until the new Mac Pro.

Now I've got the best of both worlds (for me anyway) in one box and couldn't be happier!

3. Jonny427 macrumors regular

Grats man! At least you'll only have to wait a week, many of us waited for 5 or more!

4. Mastershredder thread starter macrumors member

Same here (IT background) and it was very hard to press that checkout button with the $3200 total staring back at me. Building your own systems really makes it hard to justify the cost of a Mac. I could build a crazy PC for the same amount of money, but the specs still don't look that great compared to a Mac Pro. I want this thing to last me... my last PC only lasted about 2 1/2 years and I can't do much of anything on it anymore.

Now I can't wait to dual boot and virtualize :)

5. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

What, no 30" ACD?

6. tach32000 macrumors newbie

Me Too

I just bought the same thing. I did buy the 30" ACD and everything should be here next week.

Now I need a desk.

7. Mastershredder thread starter macrumors member

No, the ACD is a little outdated... if it was more recent with a lower refresh (16ms??) I might have considered it. My friend just bought one with his Mac Pro and it is indeed impressive. The 24" Samsung I just picked up will do me just fine :)

8. 330toSRT8 macrumors member

It sounds like there are a lot of us here with similar backgrounds. I'm planning to order a Mac Pro in the next week. You comment above made me pause because I've been looking at comparably configured workstations and building my own and cannot find anything close for $2600. I just checked newegg and a motherboard that holds dual Harpertowns is at least $470 and each 2.8 quad-core Xeon is $737. That's already $2k then you gotta add RAM, DVD-R, HD, case, power supply, video card, OS, etc. That adds up quickly. Amazon.com has the base Mac Pro for $2599 after rebate (free shipping, tax free). If anyone can find me a way to build something better for that price please let me know because that's what I've been researching. I don't really need a Mac, just need 8-cores and tons of RAM for VMs. Thanks.