I still believe in PowerPC, but I find this sad:

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 9, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hey everyone,

I was just thinking about older PowerPC Macs... I know many still have their uses, but I find it sad that they suddenly have drastically shown their age. I don't mean later ones, I mean middle-aged models. I was able to get by on an iMac G3 as my main computer in 2011-or-so for some months, but sadly Camino is gone, Safari is outdated, and TFF is awfully slow. I mean, it's obvious that these machines are only getting older, but I hate how it's getting to the point where something like an iMac G4 definitely cannot be used mainly unless the user does minimal tasks. Don't call me a PowerPC pessimist though; I own like 2-dozen PowerPC Macs and love them. I currently use a dual 2.0Ghz PowerMac G5 as my main desktop. I have been using PowerPC since 2004 and got my first Intel Mac in like 2011 or 2012 when my dad handed his 2009 base-model MacBook Pro down to me. I am not one to thing old computers are completely useless, but it angers me what is happening to my lesser PowerPC Macs. I definitely couldn't use an iMac G3 now, even if I am really used to using slow computers. By the way, this is also why I hate how new web standards are pushed every five minutes. Can't they leave the web the heck alone for once and stop updating features? The web really pushes computer obsoleteness*

*This obsoleteness is generally thought of by common users; those who advocate for PowerPC Macs and know what they are doing when they use an old computer wouldn't necessarily regard a computer as obsolete that quickly.

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

My iMac G4 has been with me since I bought it. It got me through highschool, college and beyond. It has written my two (soon to be three) published books. I won't be letting the beast go until it actually dies on me.

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, same with me. (in terms of the Macs I use) I just hate how it's getting to the point where the latest PowerPC Mac one can actually still use today is a PowerMac G5. (with more modern things; obviously you COULD still use an original Macintosh given you have the right equipment and are doing minimal tasks).

4. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I don't agree with that. I do everything on my PowerBook that I do on my MBP with the exception of YouTube. It may be one of the higher end PPC laptops, but it's still nowhere close to a G5 desktop and handles it fine.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Can't watch Netflix on a Powerbook. I do like Netflix.

6. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I can't do that on my MBP either. ;)

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What a loss you are at.

8. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

One can still roll on doing what they do every day with the Mac of their choice. If I needed to, I could do everything I do with a G4 466 Mhz tower. Up until mid-September of 2014, I was going about my day with a G5 Dual 2.0 and a G4 MDD Dual 1.25, both running Tiger. If the current Mac I use as a daily driver, a Mac Pro 1,1, were to go out on me, I could transition back to PPC easily and with minimal fuss.

Sure, the web browsing portion of the Mac experience is deficient, but just about everything else works just fine, the same as it always has, be it the Digital Audio or the G5.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

CS2 and 3 work perfectly fine on my iMac G4. So does my shoehorned Aperture, and other stuff I have on there.

Matching older software that's meant for that hardware is important. I mean, I used to know people who were working with Photoshop on iBook Clamshells back in the day.

10. RedCroissant Suspended

losing ethernet

What I have noticed lately is the decreased presence of ethernet connectivity in hotels due to the reliability and speed of WiFi along with the ability to prevent unwanted users from connecting. With an iBook G3/G4, etc 802.11 b/g is just not sufficient to do some tasks. When I was most recently on vacation at a Comfort Inn, there was no ethernet. This made it so that my iPhone 3GS was my go-to device for all things internet when my iBook G3 sat there doing nothing because everything was so slow that it was only up to check basic emails.

It's really getting to the point where even the G4s out there will require either a N or AC adapter to work with the modern net.

I'm still bothered by Netflix though because I can get Netflix to stream to my AppleTV, my PS3, My Smart TV, My iPhone 3GS and even older iPhone 3G, but Netflix will not provide support for a PM G5 Quad 2.5.

11. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I mean that it is heading that way. I made it clear that older models still have their uses. I have gotten plenty of use out of an 800Mhz iBook G4.

----------

I agree, although it is beginning to head this way... I knew I would get a lot of argument against what I said. Just know that I still rely on PowerPC Macs, although it's annoying how they are (obviously) aging enough so that even a 1Ghz G4 is cutting it close in terms of modern usage. Nevertheless, I still recognize many uses for a PowerPC Mac and use one day-to-day. Just know that it has gone from the point where I used an iMac G3 in 2011 for school work to the point where I can no longer do so and am using a PowerMac G5. Sure, I could survive on an iMac G3, but its only good web browser isn't getting any newer. Camino was up-to-date last time I used an iMac G3 as one of my computers, now it's gone. (and TFF is amazingly slow and hard on the RAM, so that's not a choice for an iMac G3). I understand your points though; as I said before, I have over two-dozen PowerPC Macs and still have uses for some of them and recognize that they still have abilities.

12. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

Use version 24.7.0 of TFF. I use that version on my Digital Audio 466 under Tiger with zero problems. No memory issues, pages still render fine, and it does a great job. Since we're already in the hinterlands in terms of unsupported software, there are no issues with using versions that are not totally up to date.

13. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

This is such an odd thread. You mean you only now realized that PowerPC Macs have gotten old and aren't as useful as daily computers anymore?

14. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

It is an odd thread, I'll give you that. No, I mean to say that it's sad how while there are uses for older ones, the vast majority have recently been getting too bogged down by today's internet world to be daily-use computers. Sure, you COULD use one, but it's painfully slow. I once survived using an iMac G3 for several months, but it's not something I can do as well now, considering it has been around a few years since then and there is already no up-to-date browser for the iMac G3 that is fast enough.

----------

I use Leopard Webkit because even 24.7.0 TFF on my dual 2.0Ghz PowerMac G5 is not as fast.

15. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

Not to start an OS war, but perhaps Leopard is the problem. My G5 Dual 2.0 is running TFF 24.7.0 just fine under Tiger. In fact, I'm writing this post on it right now.

Leopard has always been a slow OS for me, and I've ran it on three separate Macs. That's why I prefer Tiger.

16. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Oh yeah, there is for sure a trade-off when using Leopard. Many more things are compatible with it, but you sacrifice some speed in the process. Since my PMG5 is my main computer most of the time, I put Leopard on it for more current things. I sort of use the two OSs side-by-side, considering many of my other computers run it. (I recently used it as my main OS for some months) It's faster and still really pleasant to use. It's amazing how efficient it is too, even though it's not THAT old. I mean, the thing can even officially run on a 300Mhz G3! I am sure TFF would be faster in Tiger, but by a comparisons I have done, the difference in speed is noticeable but not huge. Anyway, this was a stupid thread to begin with. I just felt a little sad that older PowerPC Macs have drastically aged in the computer world recently. I wish Camino was still updated... It is so lightweight.

17. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

It's obvious in public places, but I do strongly believe in ethernet, regardless of how convenient wifi connectivity is. Ethernet works without fuss and is definitely faster if your base station isn't. The WiFi compatibility issues annoy me as well. I hated when I would bring my TiBook or iBook G3 to school and wouldn't be able to connect to their network with my 1st gen Airport card. --Typed on my PowerMac G5... hooked up with ethernet ;)

18. JohnnyH1012 macrumors member

As long as there is a community behind PowerPC Macs, they will continue to be used... and let me tell you right now, that the community is not planning on stopping for quite a while.

19. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Everything I do at work, I can do on an iMac G3 600 MHz model or a Digital Audio with the stock 733 MHz G4 and GeForce2. It won't be as snappy as the latest and greatest, but I can still go at it with relative ease. I can:

1. Take attendance in the same program I've used for years.

2. Go on the web with the 733 model as needed.

3. Open any current Word .docx in Office 2004 with the converter. As a corollary, I can work quite easily in Word 2004, the last really good version of it (I hate the stupid "ribbon").

4. Watch a video on the G4, provided I use a low end video for it, even on Youtube. Sadly, the G3's days of watching Youtube videos are long gone.

I know there are limitations, but I can still use 13 year old PowerPC Macs for work if I go with their limits. I also have a dual 2.0 GHz G5 tower for more hardcore tasks (and winter heating) or my Core i5 mini.

20. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

95% of my daily tasks are accomplished with my eMac and PowerBook G4. Granted, I really don't do a whole lot with them for the most part, just web browsing, music, MS Office and some retro gaming. However, they're also usually up for some "heavy lifting" with photoshop and light audio/video editing, but I must admit I do sometimes need these things done quicker than they are able to provide, and my PC takes over from there.

21. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

I know the apps aren't maintained any more, especially browsers.

But I keep a mirror of old PowerPC versions of apps for Tiger and G3, so you'll always have somewhere to download the last available version.

22. HereBeMonsters macrumors 6502

HereBeMonsters

I think people have to realise that computers are useful for more than just connecting to the internet.
    I used computers for 13 years before I got online - and not even always for games!

23. RedCroissant Suspended

I love ethernet and that's the main reason that I got a power line adapter for my home. Sure I had WiFi with whatever PPC Macs I owned, but ethernet was always great and even when I had my 2009 iMac, I had it connected to ethernet.

Yes....My iBooks were useless at school as well. AND I found out something else on my trip to Tennessee that I neglected to mention. I was in the airport and sat down in a nice transit lounge area with great access points and chair and everything for those people on long layovers and their computers. The ethernet ports were no longer connected!!! Lame.

24. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, it's always great to have ethernet. We have fast ethernet speeds, but many different base stations, etc. which can slow it down once it's wireless. I also like the reliability and immediacy of ethernet. That's lame that those cables were unplugged; while ethernet is still heavily relied on by public facilities such as schools and other buildings, many common users don't even know what ethernet is! I once told my younger cousin that (for whatever reason, I think Wi-Fi wasn't working properly) that I had to plug in her computer with ethernet instead of using Wi-Fi... not only did she have no idea what an ethernet cable was, but she exclaimed to me: "Why do you keep saying 'internet' like that?" *facepalm* xD

25. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

I fondly remember my first mac, it was a iBook G3 Graphite 366MHZ model, with the RAM maxed out and an airport card. My father bought it for me as a birthday present in 2011, but it unfortunately died of logic board problems a few weeks later. Still, he helped me to start my collection (and or slash slight addiction :D) of what I consider even today some of the coolest computers around!