I still can't decide... (MacBook purchase)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cyroceon, Feb 15, 2008.

  1. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

    Cyroceon

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    #1
    I really want a MacBook, but they are mid cycle and MR buyer's guide says "neutral". Everyone on here says, "if you want it now, get it now" or "if you can wait, wait." However, this makes me even more confused. I am just so fearful that I will buy a MacBook, whether from eBay, Craigslist, locally, or through Apple Store as a refurb or new, and a month later new ones will come out. I know that there are "always new ones around the corner" but I'm just getting so antsy to the point where I am about to pull the trigger and I don't want to make a mistake. Any productive advice you guys have? I'm just so damn flip-flop on the issue. Keep in mind that this will also be my first Mac and that is another reason I don't want to make a decision with detrimental affects.
     
  2. Spievy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location:
    Virginia
    #2
    Neutral just means this current version is at it's HISTORICAL half life.
     
  3. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Cyroceon

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    #3
    I know, but thats the thing. What if with the MBP announcement el Jobso decides to pull a fast one and comes out with a new MB also? Even if that doesn't happen, I just don't want to get suckered in on such a big purchase, and I know I'm not the only fish in this pond, but it really isn't a small deal.
     
  4. tennisplaayer11 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2007
    #4
    If you buy a MB now, you'll be perfectly happy. Since it's only midcycle right now, I can't see the MacBook being updated until WWDC in June at the earliest. Plus, if it is updated, it will most likely be an incremental processor upgrade. You'll also have had a nice Mac to play with for a few months while everyone else was dying from waiting!
     
  5. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

    digitalnicotine

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #5
    If I were you, I would wait until the new MBP is released, as it won't be much longer now. Then I would go ahead and purchase what you want. It will be very unlikely that a new model will surface within months of your purchasing.

    One thing I haven't seen mentioned much in this issue; Apple computers retain their value more than other brands. Your initial investment into the Macbook does not lock you into that choice forever, nor does it mean your next purchase will cost as much. When and if you decide you want to upgrade to a different or newer model, you can sell your current model and get back a good portion of your initial investment. While this is also the case with computers by other manufacturers, the return is rarely as high for a first tier laptop computer. I know of no other existing brand that can count on this.

    Go have a look around on eBay and see what people are getting today for the previous version MB's. I'm sure this will help you realize that although you are making an investment by purchasing a Macbook, in the computer world, it's a pretty sound investment. Good luck with your purchase. :)
     
  6. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    Location:
    Upstate NY
    #6
    Agreed. I bought mine last month and couldn't be happier.
     
  7. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

    gothiquegirrl

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2006
    Location:
    Planet Earth
    #7
    i'd say if you want one.. BUY ONE from the Apple refurb store!

    I was just where you are the other day.. and decided that I was just gonna buy a refurb.. I can have it NOW.. sell it later... and buy something new later on if i want. That's the great thing about Apple computer, right now. They retain value and can be resold for a reasonable price to be used towards a new purchase.

    I'd stay away from craigslist... and be VERY careful if buying on ebay... $1000+ bucks is more than i'd like to risk loosing... so i bought from Apple.

    good luck!
     
  8. chasealicious11 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    #8
    I'd say wait, I waited for the macbook pros to be updated in june and bought it shortly after they got updated, so for the past 4-5 months I've been enjoying my computer and even though a huge update is suppose to come out I can't say I made a bad decision
     
  9. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #9
    Really get it now. There won't be an update before May or June. Now if you want to wait till then. Tick tock.
     
  10. dvd macrumors regular

    dvd

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2007
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #10
    Leopard just came out and it's going to be the platform of choice for quite a while. Anything Apple's got on the market today will be great for years to come. Not to mention, Apples have excellent resale value. If you keep waiting for the next new thing, you'll always be waiting. I'd say go for it. You can always upgrade if there's a huge leap, but I'd say it's going to be mostly incremental changes for now.
     
  11. coldplay macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    #11
    if you can wait , wait. wait until you thoughts got mature you realize "ha, I don't need a laptop at all." You can always use your $1000+ elsewhere.
     
  12. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Cyroceon

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    #12

    All of you have great points and I appreciate it. I don't know what I will do. I don't mind buying and then reselling after a while, but if that while is only a month than I probably would get a little pissed since I would have just established myself on the machine.
     
  13. BullBoyKennels macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    Location:
    Mayaguez, PR
    #13
    Here's what I think,. and this you already know. Something new is always gonna come out sooner or later. Now how long you are willing to wait is totally up to you. Rule of thumb wait a bit before getting a newly released electronic item because sometimes bugs may arise. Now there is also never really a bad or good time to just jump on in. Basically when you think your ready to get your system then just get it.

    True example I purchased a white iMac my first time ever getting one. This was in Feb of last year. October comes around boom now they have the new Aluminum models. Funny thing is I loved the white model so much & still do very much that it prompted me to get the latest model. Best thing I could have ever did was to get the first one I did the experience was worth every shiny penny.
     
  14. Pees330 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #14
    I would go ahead and get one now if I were you. I'd say the next update will be between May-July, so it's hard to tell. It's not worth waiting months on end just to get an incremental update. You'll drive yourself crazy waiting for them and it's no telling when they'll come out. So get it now.
     
  15. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2007
    #15
    If you wait to buy technology you'll never buy anything.....
     
  16. ItTakesII macrumors member

    ItTakesII

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    Location:
    Miami, FL
    #16
    Well I can see myself being in this situation when I get the money for a Macbook. Now, do you think there will be a new model by September? By birthday is on September 3 and I will most likely end up getting $100 or more because I'll tell everyone I am saving for a Mac XD So after then I should have enough money because I'll work in the summer. And after saving for so many months, I really don't want to have to wait any longer for an update.
    Now I don't want to hi-jack this thread but I don't want to make a new question for a simple question, so, does the price go up when an update/upgrade is done?

    Thank you!
     
  17. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

    TantalizedMind

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2007
    #17
    It is a hard lesson to learn. I forget it sometimes. :(
     
  18. instant hit macrumors member

    instant hit

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    #18
    agreed. i bought my mac pro just before they introduced the octo line, and shortly thereafter made it standard. am i upset? of course not; i couldn't play the waiting game any longer.

    take rational decision-making out of the picture for a moment. even though i have a company-supplied laptop, i still bought an mba and loving every minute of it ;)
     
  19. username7410 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    #19
    I'm in the exact same situation as Cyroceon. My question, would buying a Macbook just before an update have any benefits? Such as it being somewhat perfected, all bugs worked out major design or materials flaws addressed? Just trying ot see both sides.
     
  20. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #20
    The best pre-update time to buy is right before Apple releases a new OS. Case in point: you can run Tiger on Rev. C Macbooks (C being those from summer '07), but you can only run Leopard on Rev. D Macbooks (those released in Nov '07) because they ship with Leopard restore disks. Besides that, there's always a risk that an update will bring bugs; just ask the thousands of 15" MBP purchasers who received defective yellow LED screens.
     
  21. Luzzio macrumors regular

    Luzzio

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    Location:
    Malaysia
    #21
    I wish I could've persevered till May/June until the update on the MB... but I couldn't.

    Got it, and not regretting at all. According to the buyer's guide its neutral, so your call really. Do you need it urgently?
     
  22. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Cyroceon

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    #22
    Guys, thanks a lot for your advice. I definitely appreciate it.
     
  23. gangzoom macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    #23
    Im currently in the market for a MacBookPro..the only reason i haven't bought one is because the MacBooks make the MacBookPro's looker seriously over priced:confused: So if your just after a macbook I would have one in a second (I need a Laptop with a good Graphics chip).

    Also I can guarantee your MacBook will outlast any PCs you've had before, my current laptop is a 8 year old PowerBook G3 pismo which i still relay for giving Powerpoint presentation, websurfing, and even the occasional 3D rendering work :cool:, my desktop machine is a 3 year old G5 tower which i intend to keep for a good few years longer (just upgraded to a 1TB internal hard drive) :)

    Unlike PCs the Mac Software is so stable your not forced to constantly upgrade every time a new bug is found, as an result Mac Hardware "ages" much better..as the AD says "it simply works" :)
     
  24. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2007
    Location:
    London, United Kingdom (UK)
    #24
    I got my macbook around december...even though macworld was right around the corner! just because a new one comes out...does not mean yours will become 'worse'. Although obviously you want the best for your money, but i dont regret..and i dont think you will.

    If im to guess when the next update would be...id guess may maybe june.
     
  25. weizilla macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2008
    #25
    how long does it take for a reburn one to ship and arrive at your doorstep?
     

Share This Page