Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
Why get obsessed about this? If I scrutinized every dinner plate, bicycle, pencil, calculator, hairbrush, pair of trousers, laptop, girlfriend, motorbike and banana that I've ever had in this way, I'd go insane.

If you have the habit of holding an object at strange angles or in unlikely lighting conditions in order to detect flaws, it isn't the object that is flawed.

+1.

I paid $1200 for an NEC Pro (90) series LCD. If I turn out the lights and put up a black screen it does the same. Do I care? NO! Yet it is the number one thing I see people complaining about on LCD forums. They put up black screens in dark room and complain it isn't perfect. Often they run cameras for multiple second exposures to prove how bad theirs screen is. :rolleyes:

Really if you obsess over little things like this you will never be happy. Maybe look into OCD meds.

carlclarke

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
England.
i picked up another ipad today

comparison shots.. lights off. 100% brightness. i did lower the exposure a bit in the 2nd picture or it would look even worse.

Its a clever :apple: design feature so that you can find it in the dark, each iPad is given its own unique brightness and colour tint so that you don't pick up someone else's by mistake... ;) :D

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
How do I even make mt iPad show a complete black screen? I went to the website posted on this thread but even full screen on atomic browser has those little buttons...

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
I dont even understand what the pics are showing

The pics are meant to show some flaw in the iPad screens.

The OP's conclusion is that 100% of the iPads so far produced have the same flaw, and he refuses to believe that there is even ONE ("anyone") iPad that is without this flaw.

So I take the opposite position. I refuse to believe that there is even ONE imperfect iPad produced. All evidences to the contrary must be fake. One is just as logical as the other, but mine is the happier position.

But in all seriousness, the truth is that at least some iPads do not have this flaw. I think that, since the OP's iPads have this flaw, it makes him feel better to insist that all others have it too.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Some of you guys are absolute morons do you even know what OCD means and Is? seems like your the guys who have it since you keep using it as some sort of insult.

OCD isnt if you notice something you idiots, its a psychological disease which causes anxiety and the repetition of activities. Not finding problems with your purchase. (If you can explain to me how hes repeating himself or having anxiety attacks over his screen then please do but you cant so either shut up and put up or get lost)

Seriously.... go learn more than come back. The guy has noticed light bleed on a machine hes paid £500 + money for..... it should be perfect, if netbook screens which are far cheaper and manufactured much cheaper can stop it from happening Apple should be able to do it with there iPads.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
The pics are meant to show some flaw in the iPad screens.

The OP's conclusion is that 100% of the iPads so far produced have the same flaw, and he refuses to believe that there is even ONE ("anyone") iPad that is without this flaw.

So I take the opposite position. I refuse to believe that there is even ONE imperfect iPad produced. All evidences to the contrary must be fake. One is just as logical as the other, but mine is the happier position.

But in all seriousness, the truth is that at least some iPads do not have this flaw. I think that, since the OP's iPads have this flaw, it makes him feel better to insist that all others have it too.

4 of mine had it (aswell as dust under the screen), granted the 4th one has it on a low level now which im pleased with, doesnt bother me or distract me now.

im not saying the OP is right in saying ALL iPads have this, I dont believe that. My 4th one is far better than previous ones i had issues with (not just back lighting)

Its a fantastic device from a fantastic company for fantastic people :D

rogerh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
+1.

I paid $1200 for an NEC Pro (90) series LCD. If I turn out the lights and put up a black screen it does the same. Do I care? NO! Yet it is the number one thing I see people complaining about on LCD forums. They put up black screens in dark room and complain it isn't perfect. Often they run cameras for multiple second exposures to prove how bad theirs screen is. :rolleyes:

Really if you obsess over little things like this you will never be happy. Maybe look into OCD meds.

i love the replies in this thread.. will look into that OCD medication. :rolleyes:

Kosinar

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
Can someone define "perfect" for me and give me example of something that fits that definition?

Gavin S.

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
My philosophy with any new shiny I buy is don't scrutinize it too closely. I used to buy and trade high-end watches, $10k+ stuff that you would expect perfection from and I found that under a 10x loupe there is no such thing as perfection. It's a fools errand to expect no flaws in anything made by man.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
4 of mine had it (aswell as dust under the screen), granted the 4th one has it on a low level now which im pleased with, doesnt bother me or distract me now.

im not saying the OP is right in saying ALL iPads have this, I dont believe that. My 4th one is far better than previous ones i had issues with (not just back lighting)

Its a fantastic device from a fantastic company for fantastic people :D

NO! That's impossible! You are lying! My iPad is perfect so every iPad that has been produced and possibly every electronic device ever produced in the universe must be perfect!

I don't have to listen to this la la la la la la la la la la...

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Looking at the photo posted by the OP... If it takes 100% brightness, a dark room and a black screen to notice the problem... Is it really a problem?

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
NO! That's impossible! You are lying! My iPad is perfect so every iPad that has been produced and possibly every electronic device ever produced in the universe must be perfect!

I don't have to listen to this la la la la la la la la la la...

I know its hard to take in.... I was once like you innocent to such treason but trust me brother the world is a dark dark place

lool

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Caubeck I LOVED your post!

I have purchased three ipads -- one for me and two as gifts -- and they do not have any light leak problems whatsoever. None. Nada. Zilch.

For what it's worth I am a professional photographer so yes I know something about white balance, light bleed, etc. and my eyes are trained to look for detail.

And there is nothing wring with any of the devices that I purchased.

In contrast to the OP I would say that while my ipads have been perfect I do believe that some people have purchaed ipads with defective screens. But this does not mean that those of us who report no problems are either lying or delusional.

Well, I'll chime in. While obsessing over the backlight bleed can get out of hand, I haven't seen a perfectly bleed-free iPad either, and I've seen six. SO, the chances of you getting three in a row that are perfectly bleed free is very slim. Possible? Maybe. You just may not notice it, pro photog or otherwise..

My slight bleed on the upper right (when held portrait) doesn't bother me 99% of the time, though when watching movies in landscape mode in the dark it does catch my eye.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
Some of you guys are absolute morons do you even know what OCD means and Is? seems like your the guys who have it since you keep using it as some sort of insult.

OCD isnt if you notice something you idiots, its a psychological disease which causes anxiety and the repetition of activities. Not finding problems with your purchase. (If you can explain to me how hes repeating himself or having anxiety attacks over his screen then please do but you cant so either shut up and put up or get lost)

Seriously.... go learn more than come back. The guy has noticed light bleed on a machine hes paid £500 + money for..... it should be perfect, if netbook screens which are far cheaper and manufactured much cheaper can stop it from happening Apple should be able to do it with there iPads.

Be quiet, would you?

We're all well aware of what OCD is; you've failed to grasp the colloquial manner in which it's used here. I doubt we need your explanation. Particularly given your misdiagnosis of the disorder as a "disease".

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Be quiet, would you?

We're all well aware of what OCD is; you've failed to grasp the colloquial manner in which it's used here. I doubt we need your explanation. Particularly given your misdiagnosis of the disorder as a "disease".

Ooooo burn!!!

But he really is being obsessive by returning multiple ipads and upon returning home he runs to a dark room and examines a pure black screen....

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Be quiet, would you?

Sorry you are absolutely right... I was supposed to type Disorder not Disease my mistake.

Yeah dont use OCD as an insult if you cant make sense of it, it clearly does not fit in this situation and you have yet to prove to me why it can.

So you be quiet would you....you clearly jump on the wagon and just follow others. Like I said come back when you can use OCD as some form of insult properly. Its clear you do not understand what it means.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Ooooo burn!!!

But he really is being obsessive by returning multiple ipads and upon returning home he runs to a dark room and examines a pure black screen....

I agree that might seem a bit odd..... but it could be annoying or distracting if your watching a film or using it in photo frame mode at night. Its still an expensive bit of kit and should not have such an issue. If you look at images of his and what other people who have complained about simular problems you will see the bleed seems to happen within the same areas.

Could possibly be some kind of design flaw or maybe people who have it are just very unlucky I dunno... but im enjoying mine and very pleased with the thing.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I agree that might seem a bit odd..... but it could be annoying or distracting if your watching a film or using it in photo frame mode at night. Its still an expensive bit of kit and should not have such an issue. If you look at images of his and what other people who have complained about simular problems you will see the bleed seems to happen within the same areas.

Could possibly be some kind of design flaw or maybe people who have it are just very unlucky I dunno... but im enjoying mine and very pleased with the thing.

It is not a design flaw. It is a technological limitation of the screen. Because they are LCD screens, they will always have some sort of light bleed. Another passion of mine is Home Theater and these discussions are seen constantly on those forums. The LED LCD's have helped some, but they still have this issue based on whether they are side lit or backlit LED's. BTW, in 2008, I got a $3000 LCD and it had those issues. I was not satisfied with. It because it could be seen during movie watching. I returned it and got a plasma TV. Much happier with that decision. Just goes to show you that no matter what price you pay, the same issue will be seen.

As another poster mentioned before, if you set the brightness high enough and sit in a room dark enough, you will these issues. During "normal" viewing times, the light bleed should rarely ever be seen.

Also, a photograph can almost never accurately capture the true light bleed. I am an hobbyist photographer and unless you can capture it with the right aperture and shutter speed, you will usually get it to be too faint or too bright.

Granted, some can be worse than others, but you will never have a screen with no flaw.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
It is not a design flaw. It is a technological limitation of the screen. Because they are LCD screens, they will always have some sort of light bleed. Another passion of mine is Home Theater and these discussions are seen constantly on those forums. The LED LCD's have helped some, but they still have this issue based on whether they are side lit or backlit LED's. BTW, in 2008, I got a $3000 LCD and it had those issues. I was not satisfied with. It because it could be seen during movie watching. I returned it and got a plasma TV. Much happier with that decision. Just goes to show you that no matter what price you pay, the same issue will be seen.

As another poster mentioned before, if you set the brightness high enough and sit in a room dark enough, you will these issues. During "normal" viewing times, the light bleed should rarely ever be seen.

Also, a photograph can almost never accurately capture the true light bleed. I am an hobbyist photographer and unless you can capture it with the right aperture and shutter speed, you will usually get it to be too faint or too bright.

Granted, some can be worse than others, but you will never have a screen with no flaw.

people have solved this problem (with the iphone) by opening it up and placing black tape under the areas where the light bleed would occur, surely Apple could figure some way of solving it. There is also allot of other devices that do not carry this issue. But then the other side is.. there is allot of other devices that have the issue like you mentioned.

Although I understand what you mean and I agree with you, I still think its a problem that can be solved

(no please no sarcy comment from someone that will say "yeah its easy to solve ignore it" or anything else like that)

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
people have solved this problem (with the iphone) by opening it up and placing black tape under the areas where the light bleed would occur, surely Apple could figure some way of solving it. There is also allot of other devices that do not carry this issue. But then the other side is.. there is allot of other devices that have the issue like you mentioned.

Although I understand what you mean and I agree with you, I still think its a problem that can be solved

(no please no sarcy comment from someone that will say "yeah its easy to solve ignore it" or anything else like that)

I understand and agree to a point. On the forums that talked about the issue I mentioned on my $3000 TV,, some came up with a similar solution of either loosened the screws on the back of the TV or putting foam or rubber spacers between the glass and light element.

IMO, I should not have to do that and looked elsewhere for a new TV.

Now back on topic...

I can understand the issue, but on the two iPads I have the a few others I have played with ,under normal lighting situations, with the brightness at 50% maximum, the issue is almost gone. Not totally, but almost. It's difficult to truly test it with different iPads and not able to control the image you test with, but I tested it with some flickr pictures I knew where on the dark side (light-wise not morbid ;) ).

One other note... I watched the season finale of Lost in a totally dark room and had no notice of light bleed while watching the program through the ABC app. Just noting my experience, ,YMMV.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
the iPad I had before the one I currently have had a slight light bleed at the top that made black appear yellow, when watching films it was quite distracting. If something bright was on the screen it would make the light bleed less apparent.

Soon as I got another replacement although there is VERY slight light bleed (which cannot be avoided I know) it is much less than the others and its so little that it doesnt distract you from images or video in complete darkness

(if you watching something in bed or something)

Maybe one day there will be some sort of screen that will end all of this. I would be pretty annoyed if that occured on a $3000 tv I must admit...

sy-83557

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2009
Sorry you are absolutely right... I was supposed to type Disorder not Disease my mistake.

Yeah dont use OCD as an insult if you cant make sense of it, it clearly does not fit in this situation and you have yet to prove to me why it can.

So you be quiet would you....you clearly jump on the wagon and just follow others. Like I said come back when you can use OCD as some form of insult properly. Its clear you do not understand what it means.

Are either of you medical professionals? Probably not. OCD can very well be characterized as a disease - as it presents with signs and symptoms, and it is correlated with an actual physiological change. People with OCD typically have an atrophied frontal cortex and hippocampus.

Disorders are a type of disease, but the word disorder is much less stigmatized, hence it's use in mental "disorders". Major Depressive Disorder (MDD), for instance, is a disease - there is a change, typically again in the frontal cortex and hippocampus, as well as a change in cytokines, chemokines, and other neural and hormonal chemicals found in the body.

Further, no one here should be diagnosing someone over the internet. Using "OCD" as an insult is not only childish, it's demeaning to individuals who actually have the disease and have to live with it.

EDIT: That said, obsessing over something like this, just as some do with letter grades, is often egosyntonic and can be characterized as OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder), which generally doesn't impede a patients quality of life and is very, very common.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.