I still have old voice on iOS 7 Siri?

FreeStyLeMaSTeR

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I tried turning off Siri and back on but I still have old robotic voice of Siri. Is there anything I can do to enable new voice of it?

SuperPolli

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2013
New Jersey
Beta 1 - It Wasn't Ready

Use common sense. We're in Beta 1 right now. It obviously wasn't ready. Same goes for Voice Memos, full Twitter and Facebook integration (ie. Notification Center posting ability). Beta 1 is obviously not the final version. Siri's new voices may not even come in Beta 2. We may not see those new voices leave alpha testing for months.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
You CAN select new voices for Siri. I've been using the English accented Siri for a few days now. Go to settings and change it there.
iOS 7 includes new female and male voices. They are not available in this beta. While you can change the language, the new iOS 7 voices are not in this beta.

reeve

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
Southern California
from the iOS 7 release notes:

Siri
Known Issues

The new Siri voices are not in this seed.
I'm confused now. I could have sworn that the option to change the voice of Siri was not available in iOS 6.

----------

I'm sure. Those aren't new. They've been there since iOS 5 came out with Siri on the 4S. The new voices sound life-like and don't have a robotic tone to them.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SRmjUzcpLO0#t=6125s
Ah ok. My apologies. I'm embarrassed I didn't know this until now!

Sheza

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2010
FYI the English accented Siri has been available for a long time.

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
USA
You CAN select new voices for Siri. I've been using the English accented Siri for a few days now. Go to settings and change it there.
I tried that but it doesn't understand some of my contacts... For example if I say "call mom" Siri says there is no contact for mom... There is and it works when on US English...

Sheza

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2010
In my opinion, it doesn't sound as good as the female voice. The male voice is over-modulated.
That's interesting, because I have the opposite view. The female voice sounds a bit robotic, almost GLaDOS style. The words are bit more all-over-the-place when a sentence is spoken.
Whereas the male, although still robotic, speaks with a more coherent accent.

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I'm confused now. I could have sworn that the option to change the voice of Siri was not available in iOS 6.

----------

Ah ok. My apologies. I'm embarrassed I didn't know this until now!
I tried that but it doesn't understand some of my contacts... For example if I say "call mom" Siri says there is no contact for mom... There is and it works when on US English...
There have always been four English voices due to the various accents, dialects, words and grammar used between them ('Merican, Brit, Aussie and Canuck). Those voices were always only male or female, but with iOS7 they'll release the opposite gender version... soon

I can't wait for the female UK voice. Let's hope she'll sound like Joanna Lumley. But Liz Hurley will do. Or even Emma Thompson, she'd be a riot when unable to answer a request.

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
USA
Try Mum or Mother.
Yeah that was my natural thought process but since she is in my phone as mom it doesn't recognize mother and has no idea what's saying when I say mum. no big deal really just a funny observation when I tried using British Siri.