I still have ten tracks that aren't upgradable to iTunes Plus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spaceballl, Apr 8, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

So here we are - everything's in iTunes Plus now and of the 400+ DRM'd songs I had before, I still have 10 left. After the initial wave of iTunes plus upgrades, I was down to 40 or so. More and more came in until now I'm down to ten. Am I going to be able to upgrade these soon? I see the songs are available for purchase in iTunes Plus... annoying! :mad:

2. Resist macrumors 68030

Yea that is strange.

3. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I have that problem, but I know why. I upgraded early on and accidently deleted the DRM free versions and kept the DRM versions and now I can't upgrade the DRM versions again (even if I want to pay for the upgrade again.)

4. The Sheck macrumors member

For me, the DRMed albums I bought tracks from aren't in the store, anymore. For example, I bought one of the bonus tracks on The Killer's album 'Hot Fuss.' That isn't in the store now. Have no idea what's up with that.

5. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Yep - I too have several tracks that should be on the upgrade list (they're still available in the store) but aren't. I noticed this early on with some tracks and sent a message to iTunes Support. They gave me a couple of free song credits, though not enough to re-buy all of the ones that were missing from my upgrade list. They told me that those songs were marked as different from the originals I'd purchased because the record label had apparently removed them, then re-added them at some point.

Then a month or two later, several of these songs suddenly appeared in my upgrade list. I'm sure it had nothing to do with my earlier message to support - but I wonder if sometimes it takes a while for their database to catch up and recognize certain songs as upgradeable??

Currently I have 12 single songs and one full album that should be on my upgrade list. 4 of the single songs I had previously purchased as singles, but they are now marked as "album only." Apparently this prevents them from being on the upgrade list. The others I haven't figured out yet.

I figure I'll have to bug support again if this doesn't work itself out soon.

I also have an additional 30 songs that are no longer sold in the store. What a bummer! :(

Oh, and I just downloaded a free Diana Krall song from a code my wife picked up at Starbucks. It came through as Protected AAC 128kbps! :eek: I thought we were all done with that format. And of course that one isn't upgradeable either...

6. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Your experience is EXACTLY the same as mine. I wrestled with support for a while. Actually, get this. I had such a terrible experience with support. We went back and forth for a while until "Allen T" didn't respond. So I sent him another email. Look at what he wrote before. So rude!

7. Spades macrumors 6502

If all they can do is issue credits, and only up to 5, is it worth contacting support? I suppose if enough people bug them they'll come up with a better solution. I have 17 songs that I should be able to upgrade but can't. And three of them come from the same albums where I've already upgraded other songs.

Apple did a terrible job of managing this transition all around.

8. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah they can only do a max of 5. And if they have ever issued you a credit before, that will affect the amount they can give you. Like if they gave you one 6 months ago for something else, they can only give you 4 now.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have about 1200 or so that I will not be able to upgrade. The Complete U2 and the Complete Depeche Mode which are no longer sold on iTunes. :(

10. Resist macrumors 68030

I have a slightly different problem, it seems some of my song that I am sure I upgraded to be DRM free are still showing at protected. Not sure what to do about it as I can't be 100% sure, with so many songs it gets hard to keep track. But iTunes still doesn't show a lot of my songs as being able to upgrade.

11. xenomania macrumors newbie

The Complete U2 is now available as an iTunes plus upgrade

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

YES!!! Thank you ! I am upgrading it this very second! You made my day! :D:);)

13. xenomania macrumors newbie

Thought you'd like that!

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

By the way, I did get the error that iTunes was not able to complete my request and it looked as though my upgrade didn't go through but it did, I just didn't know it because of the error. I checked my account and it showed I had 450 files to download. I had to hit donwnload now before they would download.

15. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I still have about 100 protected songs that can't be upgraded, but they are trickling through gradually. At The Drive In, for example, have appeared in the last few days.

16. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

what I don't understand is that I had purchases numerous NOFX albums previously ("war on errorism", "white trash, two heebs and a bean", and "wolves in wolves clothing") which are now all available as itunes plus, but the only upgradeable one is "war on errorism". i have been back and forth with support, and they are no help whatsoever.

17. xenomania macrumors newbie

Weird - in the UK it's 446 tracks! Don't suppose you could post a list?!

18. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

As of today I have 15 songs that are protected still. I rarely buy anything off of iTunes but I think by now those songs will never be upgradeable.

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

My download was the same. I just had a few songs that I hadn't downloaded because iTunes was giving me some error.

20. justinluey macrumors newbie

How did the U2 upgrade go? Were all 446 tracks upgraded for $45?

Is it worth upgrading for the sound quality if you have no need to move it to another device?

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The upgrade was fast took about an hour to download all of those tracks. Yes, all of them were upgraded. I think the sound quality is worth every cent. I have noticed the difference in sound right away. The sound is crisp and clean. I've been listening to them all week so far. I still have allot of the unreleased tracks that I never listened to yet and I've had it for over a year.

22. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

This thread inspired me to check and see what new upgrades had become available for me. I still have about 9 left that aren't upgradeable... They are only from 2 different artists, so I guess those artists/record companies are just being odd. I don't know. Haha.

23. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I found out why the two albums in question for me weren't upgradeable.

Album one, itunes changed the name to something a bit less.... offensive. "White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean", was changed to, simply, "White Trash..." Kind of funny, because the album was originally named "White Trash, Two Kikes and a Spic", until Eric Melvin's grandma heard about the title and shamed him into changing it. lol

And album two "Wolves in Wolves Clothing" is now available only without the bonus track that came with it when I originally purchased it.

These two changes were significant enough to prevent them from being upgradeable.

24. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

That is stupid. If Apple is going to change their ID3 tags, they should have some sort of system that relates the tracks through legacy data too... or something. They are loosing money because of it. haha... I guess 30 cents is nothing to them, they should let us upgrade free then. >.>

25. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Yes it is stupid! Through many emails with itunes store support, the nice lady did hook me up with upgraded versions of those two albums. However, since they were different, itunes didn't import playcounts, ratings, inclusion in playlists, etc....