I still love my MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ks-man, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I was browsing through the threads around here and was surprised to see all the harsh words regarding the MBA.

My wife and I have been using ours for about 6 months now and we really couldn't be happier. It is such a pleasure to be able to bring it over to the couch and sit it down anywhere. Anytime people are over and I want to show something on the internet, with one hand I grab it from its home and bring it to the table.

It is so convenient for basic tasks that I can't remember how we lived without it. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as your only computer (although my wife hasn't used our desktop since we got it), but as a secondary computer to have around and especially for travel I wouldn't trade it up for anything.

Sure I'd like a second USB port or a built in DVD drive, but I prefer the slim case and lightweight.

I don't know why I even felt the need to write this but I just want people to know that there certainly are very real reasons for owning this laptop.

2. ant043 macrumors regular

totally agree with you mate. I'm still in love with this machine.

3. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Thanks for giving us your view!

I am dead set to purchase a MBA and I'm excited.
    However, I don't know if I should wait or not because if rumors are coming that some new Macs are coming out, maybe Apple is going to do something to the MBA that will benefit us all.

Overall, I went to the Apple store to test it out and I was very pleased with the performance.

I think a Mac will be a great switch from me being an all-life PC user. :)

4. foodcoma macrumors member

I'm in the same situation. With so many companies releasing montevina chips with their laptops (e.g. sony z), I would imagine that apple do something to address that. I don't mind waiting 1-2 months for a slight revision of the MBA, but am not prepared to wait till next Jan...

5. brudy macrumors member

I'll love mine even more once they sort out the video/core shutdown problem. It's a real pain. Still, I love the skinny little bastage.

6. ViperrepiV macrumors regular

I love mine too. Sure the core shutdown thing is annoying, but it happens to me rarely (knock on wood), and there could be more storage in the SSD, but I still love it. my first mac, won't be my last.

7. Grizzly Adams macrumors member

I really like mine also regardless of any problems that it has and still love showing it off. I do have to say though that I am totally over the 'wow' of the form factor. I guess I have just gotten used to the size, as it no longer seems extremely thin to me anymore as it did when I first got it.

8. cgingrich macrumors regular

cgingrich

Good to hear the positive words. Mines in the mail :)

9. hildegueden macrumors member

hildegueden

Yeah, desktop look ugly after you have had a MBA... and even more horrible if it is PC

10. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Hmm.. somehow I'm still considering the dell XPS with SUSE Linux as a desktop replacement, even after having spent quite a while playing around with the air in-store ;)

11. illian macrumors regular

i had 2 dell xps, both had cpu whining. the plastic body just suc**:eek:
    my advise..get the mba!!:D

12. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    :cool:,and why wouldn't you love it? It's not for everyone, but if it floats your boat, why not I say.
    I will have the second revision, as a refurb BMB is first, then a new (next revision) iMac, as the house PC, THEN Dad gets his MBA:rolleyes:;)
    LOVE Apple!

13. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

That offended my macbook ;)

14. w00tini macrumors 6502a

ya no problems whatsoever here. loving my MBA more everyday and wondering how the hell i ever lived without OS X!

should they upgrade or improve it in any way, I will be hard pressed to repurchase it because its been so fulfilling for my needs. i could not imagine wanting more out of this laptop for what I need from it.

15. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Out of all other mac laptops that I had in the past (12" powebook, macbook), the MBA is the only computer that is truly light enough for me to carry EVERYWHERE. I think that's what a portable really meant to be.

Yes, MBA is not the most powerful. But I would much rather wait seconds longer when I load my apps, than not having a computer at all because it's too heavy and I left it at home.

16. Molopo macrumors regular

Sometimes I wonder how much power people really need. I'm using this really crappy Compaq at the moment, and it has more or less the same specs as the macbook air (although it's twice as thick at 1.4+ inches all the way around). Same graphics card, similar processor; etc (no OS X though). This is actually my primary gaming device, and most every game is perfectly playable. It's a good thing I never got to experience a truly powerful laptop; this way I have no idea what I'll be missing.

17. Alkiera macrumors regular

It doesn't seem so thin until you see someone else's laptop. I know a few people with these 17" Dell monstrosities. 'Desktop Replacement' indeed, just fold the thing closed, and you can use it as a desk!

After using mine, the wife who's wanted a laptop for awhile can't see herself getting anything heavier than this machine. Maybe if this tablet version comes out, I can give her the MBA and get the tablet for myself.

18. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I am over the moon with my MBA purchased on the first day that Regent Street got the SSD in. It's perfect for me, even though I can see it might not be so for some.

19. changb macrumors newbie

20. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I couldn't agree more. I love my MBA. It is the perfect balance of performance and form factor. I feel like I can take it anywhere and I often do.

I do hope Apple keeps improving it though and doesn't decide to scrap the line.