Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I have read the buying guide, looked at the stickies, even been to other forums (gasp) and still seem to be stuck.
I have a 13" 2008 uMB with a 2.4G C2D, 4 gig ram, Invidia GForce 9400M graphics. I would love a MP but can't justify the expense, ( and in reality don't need, just want, that much power).
My plans are to do my music through iTunes, only about 10Gig of data, and put all my pictures into iPhoto, probably less than 1000 pictures left that need to be scanned in. Adobe Lightroom is a possibility since my sister says it is the best way to go for photo sorting, editing, etc., also the new MS office suite when it is released since I really like Outlook on the PC and am not a big fan of the OSX mail program. Lastly, this is also going to be the laptop that goes with me when I travel.
So, I think 13" is okay since I hook it up to a Dell 2005 FPW when I am home. The biggest thing I miss is no firewire on this machine, which makes backups and restores a major dog as far as speed.
BUT, is the newest 13" really worth the money to just get FW? Any other advantages to the new 13" MBP's?

Thanks

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't think there is a reason to buy the new 13" MacBook [Pro]; I'd wait until they update the CPUs.

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
You may be in for a long wait for an updated 13" MBP.

The FTC's recent ruling against Intel's practice of shutting out 3rd party chipmakers is good news, as is the rumor that Apple may be considering AMD processors. The former might mean an i3 in a 13" MBP by this fall, but the latter might take longer.

If you don't want to or can't wait, I'd just bump up to the entry level 15". Way more value for your money IMO if you're looking at a laptop.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
You may be in for a long wait for an updated 13" MBP.

The FTC's recent ruling against Intel's practice of shutting out 3rd party chipmakers is good news, as is the rumor that Apple may be considering AMD processors. The former might mean an i3 in a 13" MBP by this fall, but the latter might take longer.

If you don't want to or can't wait, I'd just bump up to the entry level 15". Way more value for your money IMO if you're looking at a laptop.

+1. The i5 should help handle Lightroom much better I would think. You might want to download both LR and Aperture 3 and test ride both (they both have a 1 month free trial) For photo management and ability to create books, move to social networks, etc A3 probably has an edge. If you are doing a lot of RAW image professional-type image correction, LR probably gets the nod. BTW, my A3 just arrived today-so at least I can say that I practice what I preach.;)

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
HMMM, all this helps yet hinders. Nobody really knows when the next update will be, so who knows how long I will have to wait. Anyway, thanks to those that posted help.

TopHatPlus

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Southern Ontario
hmmm definitely sounds like a want more then a need, i am not exactly sure of what your computer has running as far as extra selling features, but the new ones have a SD card slot, LED display = more battery power, multi touch track pad (1,2,3,4 finger swiping), back lit key board, compare that to what you have, go to a apple store and try it out and see how it works for you, the new base 13" mbp should do everything you need with ease but i would not say its a must for your needs, i am running a 2007 macbook 2.16 ghz, 3 GB ram, gma 950 64MB gpu, and i have 4250 songs, and 17k + photos (i take lots of photos) and i use iphoto for all of my editing, sorting, and organizing.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
hmmm definitely sounds like a want more then a need, i am not exactly sure of what your computer has running as far as extra selling features, but the new ones have a SD card slot, LED display = more battery power, multi touch track pad (1,2,3,4 finger swiping), back lit key board, compare that to what you have, go to a apple store and try it out and see how it works for you, the new base 13" mbp should do everything you need with ease but i would not say its a must for your needs, i am running a 2007 macbook 2.16 ghz, 3 GB ram, gma 950 64MB gpu, and i have 4250 songs, and 17k + photos (i take lots of photos) and i use iphoto for all of my editing, sorting, and organizing.
I think you are right in that it is want more than need. The only thing, in reality, that I don't have is a firewire port for doing time machine backups. I can do them through USB but that is ungodly slow and really not a good option. "I have the backlit keyboard, and yes, my screen is not great, very narrow viewing angles but still useable just not enjoyable.
Thanks for the input on your songs and photos, that is more photos than I will ever have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.