I stumped the Mac Geniuses...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chelsel, Jun 5, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

Admittedly, I didn't try too hard... I had a simple question concerning dual-monitor setups and I couldn't get a clear answer even after they went into the back room...

The question is... if I'm using an application like Photoshop which has multiple panels/windows can I drag the application to another monitor in a multi-monitor setup... and this is key... by ONLY moving ONE window... not by moving each individual panel??

I know this is a piece of cake to do in Windows as all the panels/sub-windows reside in a "main" window and I just have to drag the main window to whichever monitor I choose...

I figured I'd ask in the Windows on Mac forum as there are probably more people experienced with both operating systems that will know what I'm talking about...

Thanks,
    Cliff.

2. -Alan- macrumors member

The answer is no. Unlike Windows, the application runs from the actual desktop. As a result, the menu bar at the top of the main monitor changes with each application as it's brought into focus. It takes a little while to get used to. And the larger the monitor the more it becomes a noticeable.

So basically, if you are using an application where you need to use the menu bar a lot, it is best to use the main monitor where the menu bar is located.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And Alan is correct. My guess is they're stumped because it's not an Apple app. That'd be my excuse!

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Or, they aren't real geniuses. The real talent doesn't work at an Apple Store.

5. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

too true

but, yeah..it unfourtunate that a program started on mac had now all but completely abondoned it:(

6. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Uh... really? :rolleyes: