I survived yesterday's layoff

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tomorrow, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

We knew it was coming, we just didn't know who would be let go, or how many. All told it was eleven people, about 20% of the company.

(Un)fortunately for me, I was away all day yesterday at a jobsite and client meetings. I've been told that that was a blessing, that it was pretty rough at the office yesterday.

Today there was the predictable lowering of spirits around the place, and empty work areas here and there. I know first hand that it suxs to be let go, but it's hard on the "survivors," too. Today's office environment was noticeably somber, understandably.

I feel for my former co-workers, and all the others who have lost their jobs along the way. I hope that for us this will be the only round of layoffs we need to go through.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That's sad. It's always gloomy when people are missing. :( At least you still have a job there.

3. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

Well, you could help console them by getting them to write a compouter program that will rip off the company for a little bit at a time, and end up netting you $300,000. Then have one of the other guys burn down the building.

I've seen it work before. Maybe it was a movie.:apple:

4. Tomorrow thread starter macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Interestingly, I did get a few emails from some who were let go, basically "goodbye" emails - and they were actually quite professional, didn't come across as bitter, etc. Still, it was hard for me to read them, in the sense that people I liked were leaving us involuntarily.

The company actually did an admirable job - under the circumstances - of explaining the reasons for the layoffs beforehand. Several large projects of ours had gone on hold indefinitely until the clients felt more secure economically. That puts a HUGE damper on cash flow. :(

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Definitely sucks to go through layoffs like that. I've recently been through 3 of them within the last 6 months. Personally, my position has not changed but it is hard boxing up another employee's desk and carrying it to their car and saying goodbye/good luck. Especially when they are 8 months pregnant.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Ouch!

I can't imagine what it would be like facing layoffs like that. Lucky for you, you have survived this round of layoffs. It may be tough on the people who are still working, but I'm sure you're all a bit glad that you guys are still around. You'd have to be.

7. Tomorrow thread starter macrumors 604

Tomorrow

WOW...that hurts to even think about!! :(:(

We do have that to be thankful for, you're right. There's definitely a big sigh of relief that comes along with "making the cut," so to speak, but it also makes you feel a little bit guilty.

I've offered to pass along my contacts and give a reference letter if anyone needs them. I don't really know what else to do, except just "be there" if someone needs or wants to talk or something.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ah yes, there's always Tomorrow....

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is nice to hear of at least some honest companies out there. The one I worked for was telling all it employees things where going great, they had all this projects lined up and everything would be ok.

less than a week later they did a mass round a of lay offs. So much for any integrity in one that values it above all else

10. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

11. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Survivor's guilt after layoffs is an aspect of layoffs that is very under-talked about. The more work you have to pick up (usually with no change in pay) and the fewer people are to commiserate and share in things with, the more difficult times can get, along with the usual guilt of wondering why you survived and others (some of whom you may think are better than you) didn't.

12. Tomorrow thread starter macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm at a relatively small (formerly ~55 employees) MEP consulting engineering firm in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Sorry for being vague, I know I'm being way overcautious but I don't want anything coming back to me for posting the company's "goings on."