I swear I'm switching back to Windows soon.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adamvk, Sep 16, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well heres the initial problem I'm having with FREAKING retarded iLife. I made a site, then I decided to change my home page. After I re uploaded everything to my site, the old homepage was still there. I was angry, but thought maybe everything hadn't been deleted from my site before I re uploaded everything. So I deleted everything, and tried again. STILL the old homepage showed up. So I decided to rename my site, hence making a new folder that iWeb exports too. I just finished uploading the contents to my site, and STILL the old homepage was there. Also note that both in my site and the iWeb Export folder , when I quick look at my homepage file, the right layout appears. I'm very confused by this. Any help is appreciated.

Now to Snow Leopard. Well, since I "upgraded," my Mac has been INCREDIBLY slow. For example, when ever I try to open more than one tab, Safari freaks out and crashes. Safari is generally slow, and it wasn't like this in 10.5, only 10.6. Also, whenever I attempt expose, once again it locks up. Also now about 50% of the applications I open end up freezing.

Also I've heard that 10.6.1 is having issues, should I even attempt to upgrade, or should I downgrade back to Leopard?

I love my Mac, but lately I just want to throw it against the wall. I'm much less productive simply because I cannot multitask.

2. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

1) Your life isn't retarded. You are just having a few problems right now.

2) If your site is in iWeb, and you are having issues with it, I'd say stay with your Mac. iWeb plays well with iWeb only, unless of course you want to edit the uploaded html files directly.

3) I'm sure you have a Time Machine backup disk. Of course you do. So do a clean install of Snow Leopard, totally new install. Then recover your files from your Time Machine. It'll be better. You'll like it, you'll see.

4) If you really want to go back to Windows, well, best of luck to you. Wait for Win7, then buy it. Then buy you a decent html editor, like Dreamweaver. Get a very good antivirus program, and keep it updated. Enjoy your windows experience. If you think all your life problems will be solved then... well, prepare for disappointment.

3. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

For the first one, did you clear your local browser cache? I'm betting the old version of the page is being loaded out of the cache...

Dunno what to tell you with the other stuff. I've had no such problems on either machine that I've upgraded (Macbook 2,1 and a 2009 Mac Pro.)

4. tarl macrumors newbie

Are you web site changes not being seen because your old version is being cached? Empty your web browser cache and reload the page.

Damn, beaten to punch by mere seconds

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Keep tellin' yourself that, you know it'd never happen. ;)

6. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Completely off topic, but coming to SL from Tiger my Domain file has shrunk to more than half the previous size. What's with that? More importantly, iWeb uploads so quickly now there's mere seconds between 'iWeb will update in the background' and 'Your site is published'. I suggest a clean install and start by clicking the Domain file rather than going from iWeb. At lest you'll start with the right file from the start. It had to convert mine, but maybe because I was coming from Tiger.

7. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

If I did a fresh install of SL, and restored all my files, would it just be the exact same as how it is now?

Thats exactly what the problem was, thanks. :)

Also I upgraded to 10.6.1. We'll see how that works...

8. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Yes, it would. You can also selectively pick what you want restored. If you just pick your entire backup, you'll carry over some old library files. I did this and ended up with an old Xbox 360 joystick ktext that snow leopard hated.

I would suggest you restore your documents, photos, apps, music, etc.

YMMV, but even with importing everything from my Time Machine backup, Snow Leopard has been nothing but rock solid on my Mac Pro.

9. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well 10.6.1 is MUCH MUCH MUCH more responsive and faster, so I'm in luck. :)

10. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

On my system, I experienced no responsiveness difference between 10.6 and 10.6.1.

S-

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I did... It wasn't hard at all.

12. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

But mow it's too later, you swore that you'll switch back ...

13. rustyk123 macrumors member

snow leopard made major improvements to 64bit so that is the Core 2 Duo and not the Core Duo. I have also not noticed a difference in speed with that update, i know this updates major release was to solve the issue in iweb involving mobileme gallery. but it is possible that it also fixed some issues with 32-bit which if you are running a Core Duo system would affect you but not people like me with a Core 2 Duo.

14. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

If you switch back to windows I'll buy your mac for 50 bucks

and I'll even throw in a copy of windows 98 for you.

--Eric

15. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I'll dualboot Windows. Does that count?

16. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

That's the best way to go. It's the template for living in harmony/world peace etc etc. :)

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Upgrade back to Leopard. :D

That or do a dual boot situation. I'm just using my Windows 7 tower until the 10.6.x problems are fixed for me.

18. BigAus macrumors member

Posted by Adamvk "Thats exactly what the problem was, thanks. :)
    Also I upgraded to 10.6.1. We'll see how that works..." [/QUOTE]

See how easy that was. If you were using Windows your reply would have read "I tried that and it didn't work...what should I do next?"

(Now going to find out how to quote properly)

19. iJamesPine macrumors newbie

iJamesPine

Well, for iWeb you can just go in to you mobile me account and go to iDisk, click sites, then all of your online files are there. Delete the old one.

James :D

20. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

See how easy that was. If you were using Windows your reply would have read "I tried that and it didn't work...what should I do next?"

(Now going to find out how to quote properly)[/QUOTE]

Hit the quote button on the bottom right hand corner of every post.

21. full moon macrumors newbie

Safari in SL is just makes you want to smack your Mac. Firefox works better on SL.

22. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Anyone who upgrades instead of doing a clean install loses the right to complain. Instead of doing things right the first time, you took the "easy" way out and used the upgrade option instead (I put easy in quotes because honestly you end up doing more work than you would if you had done a clean install). What did you expect?

23. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Now run it in 64-bit mode and watch it fly.