I Switched!!! Any Software Deals?

feelingdoing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
3
0
Hello, group. I am new to the forum.
I love my new 15" Powerbook, but now I am missing some costly software. Has anyone ever been able to cut a deal with Adobe? I have CS1 running on my PC. Will they let me buy MAC CS2 for upgrade price?
Thanks, feelingdoing. :)
 

verozov

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2005
145
0
Columbia, SC
highly unlikely... everyone else has to buy new software, i doubt they'll make an exception for you... no offense... but good luck anyway
 

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
4,400
3
I think adobe might be one of the companies that does let you do this. I think you would have to trade your CS disks into Adobe first and get the mac versions (i think this is free or very cheap) and then buy the upgrade to CS2.
 

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
3,735
158
feelingdoing said:
Hello, group. I am new to the forum.
I love my new 15" Powerbook, but now I am missing some costly software. Has anyone ever been able to cut a deal with Adobe? I have CS1 running on my PC. Will they let me buy MAC CS2 for upgrade price?
Thanks, feelingdoing. :)
They should send you CS1, for about $10-$15. When I switched to Mac, I called them, and I told them I needed to do a platform exchange. They looked up my retail Windows copy on their computers, saw that it was legit, and told me they would do it. I'd only have to pay the shipping. I signed I form saying I would no longer use and would destroy the Windows copy, so I did that. It was rather fun destroying it. I say bye bye to Windows (at least when it comes to graphics work), so I didn't need it. I faxed the form back to them, and they sent it. Brand new sealed box. Great!
 

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
768
15
CA
powerbook911 said:
They should send you CS1, for about $10-$15. When I switched to Mac, I called them, and I told them I needed to do a platform exchange. They looked up my retail Windows copy on their computers, saw that it was legit, and told me they would do it. I'd only have to pay the shipping. I signed I form saying I would no longer use and would destroy the Windows copy, so I did that. It was rather fun destroying it. I say bye bye to Windows (at least when it comes to graphics work), so I didn't need it. I faxed the form back to them, and they sent it. Brand new sealed box. Great!
I wouldn't have destroyed it. I would have kept it anyhow! lol. It's not like anyone wouldhave any way of knowing what you did or didn't do :p
 

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
768
15
CA
taeclee99 said:
Now that wouldn't be too honest would it?????
No, it wouldn't, but charging hundreds of dollars for design software isn't exactly what I'd call fair business practice either.
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
MUCKYFINGERS said:
I wouldn't have destroyed it. I would have kept it anyhow! lol. It's not like anyone wouldhave any way of knowing what you did or didn't do :p
Except isn't CS1 for PC's one of those activated apps that only work for so long if they don't hear back from mission control?

Adobe do swap licenses (good for them!) and although getting an upgrade might be a two-step process, changing license and then upgrading, it should be possible. However, if you call them, you can check out whether they can do it all in one go.

Muckyfingers - it's attitudes like that that make the honour system fail miserably and create more and more restrictions to force users into doing things.
 

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
768
15
CA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
And that justifies stealing...??? That's just too stupid... :rolleyes:
I don't feel anyone should have to pay for grossly overpriced software like CS2 and that if I actually used software and it were priced more fairly, hell, I would go and buy it without much hesitation in terms of price and whatnot. Adobe is making a killing off charging people exorbant prices for their design software.
 

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
1,741
0
Cardiff, Wales
MUCKYFINGERS said:
I wouldn't have destroyed it. I would have kept it anyhow! lol. It's not like anyone wouldhave any way of knowing what you did or didn't do :p

Only your conscious.

And your comment on charging hundreds for their software.. in my opinion it is very much worth it! The amount of development which goes into their software is huge.
 

feelingdoing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
3
0
Hooray!

Just got off the phone with Adobe, and they are shipping me Upgrade CS2 for the price of the upgrade. What a group, thanks, feelingdoing!!!!
 

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
1,432
47
London, UK
feelingdoing said:
Just got off the phone with Adobe, and they are shipping me Upgrade CS2 for the price of the upgrade. What a group, thanks, feelingdoing!!!!
Glad to hear that it all went well. It's nice when common sense wins :)
 

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
915
0
Rampaging Tokyo
MUCKYFINGERS said:
I don't feel anyone should have to pay for grossly overpriced software like CS2 and that if I actually used software and it were priced more fairly, hell, I would go and buy it without much hesitation in terms of price and whatnot. Adobe is making a killing off charging people exorbant prices for their design software.
If you dont like it, dont buy it, but dont steal it either.

As a software developer, I can tell you that these companies spend millions in research and development of their products. Why shouldnt they make money for their efforts? Do you like getting paid for your work (assuming you work that is).
 

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
288
0
How is it not fair business practice? Their not doing anything wrong. So you want CS2 but you cant afford it, thats life, get over it. I want a lamborgini but you dont see me getting pissed at Lambo because their prices are way out of my budget.

MUCKYFINGERS said:
I don't feel anyone should have to pay for grossly overpriced software like CS2 and that if I actually used software and it were priced more fairly, hell, I would go and buy it without much hesitation in terms of price and whatnot. Adobe is making a killing off charging people exorbant prices for their design software.
If Lambos were priced more fairly, hell, I would go buy one without much hesitation.

Your comment makes Zero sense. People make their livings off of this Professional software. For Adobe to charge $1000 for the Entire CS2 suite so you can make a living and have a job is completely fair. CS2 is a GREAT investment if you do this for a living.

What about people buying Expensive construction equipment (excavators, loaders, dozers etc..) that costs thousands to hundreds of thousands to make their living? It must be worth it.