I switched just for you guys.

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by CarlsonCustoms, Mar 4, 2008.

1. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I was on the totally rad show folding team but now on my PS3 i switched over to my mac brethren.

Let's find a cure,

GO TEAM

Zack

2. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

you rock, oh yeah and Welcome to the team!

i LOVE the pics of the home theater by the way. can't believe you can fit that much in an apartment, and glad i'm not in apartments anymore as your neighbor! :eek: best of luck with the sale.

PS3 is a load and go, but if you end up with anything else to fold to victory on and have questions, please let us know. thanks.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for joining us! we need all the help we can get. our team just got passed by 2 teams this week :(

4. sjjordan macrumors 6502

I also joined the team. I've got 2 C2D 2.16Ghz iMacs running. They'll be folding 24/7. Hopefully this'll help out!

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks! we need you! those are some nice machines also, that should help out a lot.

6. CarlsonCustoms thread starter macrumors 6502

What client are you guys using on your macs? I went to the stanford site to download their mac client and all I got was a page not found error. There download list works but when you click to actually download the program the page isn't found.

Zack

7. snap58 macrumors 6502

snap58

I am using the SMP 6.10 beta2 on the C2D's, works great.

This page?

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

8. gotzero macrumors 68040

I have a C2D mini and a quad Xeon Dell Poweredge (linux) sitting idle most of the day.

Anyone know how to run folding on them with an override when I need them and am away from home?

I am sure my whole setup would get smoked by a PS3, but I would love to help if I can.

9. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I joined up maybe 2 weeks ago and I jumped from like 850+ already up to 237...I keep Folding running on my Mac Pro 24/7, and the nice thing is, it really crunches the numbers, but I *never* feel any kind of lag from it :)

I was wondering, does this Folding project help at all with diabetes? I didn't specifically see anything about that disease on their site, and I have a few really close friends who have it...

-Bryan

10. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

not listed as a current study by stanford, but all folding research will help advance all knowledge of related disease. diabetes has been linked to mis-folded proteins, and work is ongoing by other universities. LINK to one of the more current results.

thanks for folding.

11. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Guys, we just got passed by another team this week! My small 3000 points/day isn't picking up the slack.

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, it keep messing up on my mac pro, so i'm now only folding with my PS3

13. meeble macrumors member

its working fine on a couple of MacPro's for me - what exactly is happening?

14. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Woot! Just made the top 100 on team MacRumors!

This is addicting!

MUST FIND MORE MACHINES!

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

haha. good work!

16. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Looks like the team is losing ground. I haven't folded in years, and I just started again, but boy, we are not gaining on anybody! :(

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i know. we just don't have enough people. i was folding, then i wasn't, now i am again, for now at least.

18. meeble macrumors member

losing ground

yeah, but the whole project is not!

19. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I've been curious about F@H recently. I've got a Mac Pro idle for most of the day that I'd love to contribute... do I need to do anything aside from getting the program from the website and turning it on in system prefs... my viewer only shows a demo, is there something more I should be doing, this makes me think so.

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

pretty much you just install it, turn it on in system prefs, and that's it.

21. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I'm losing track of the Mac HW details, is yours the dual-core dual-CPU system? if so, you can download an SMP-version of the application that can use the dual processors. I forget where the link was, but you get to it from the Folding homepage.

I might add my iMac to my PowerBook and my work PC, and I think I have an old PC sitting under my desk at home.

22. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

For those of you using the SMP client, are you finding that you have to run pretty much 24/7 in order to make the work unit deadlines?

23. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I'm using the InCrease client, which on my iMac started using the SMP core. The deadlines are tights, and I am probably going to switch to the normal client when I am done with the current unit and just kick off two local cores. That way I have a normal deadline, and both cores work when the iMac is on.

24. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I did notice that the SMP deadlines are tight, but if you run the normal client, it is PPC only, and the points you get are low. Boo!